IGNORED

Games playable on a 3D TV

TheGreatPW

Hi everyone,

First I hope all the fellow Atari lovers out there and your families are all doing alright despite the health scare across our country and the world right now.

I finally got some time to spend some in depth time checking out the Wii U collection with the family and noticed that Assassin's Creed 3 was playable in true 3D.  Wow!  It's a lot of fun when it's playable on your 3D TV!  I usually play the 3DS games in 3D only so getting to play 3D on a console is even better.

I'm assuming Assassin's Creed Black Flag is playable in 3D and my kids told me Pikmin 3 is as well.  Is there a list somewhere of games playable in 3D for the Wii U?  I'm not going to load up every game just to check the settings and I wish they put it on the packaging somewhere like playable on your 3D TV.

Anyway thought I'd asked here since the fellow Atari lovers are my usual go to crowd.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 12:10 AM, towmater said:

Hmm. Since PSVR has an HDMI input I wonder if it will do 3D the same as a 3D TV?

Thanks for the heads up on the PSVR.  I didn't even know it had an HDMI input.  I play a couple of games on it but truth is, I don't look at the new systems as closely like I use to.

Back in the day, I noticed the SIO port on the side of my Atari 7800 or difficulty switches in the back of the Atari 2600 even before it was turned on for the first time.

These days I let the kids set it up and just wait for my turn to play and pass it on to whoever is next LOL.

I sure missed the old days when I noticed every little thing about my consoles.  Long live Atari!

On 3/31/2020 at 1:46 PM, Austin said:

This is the first time I have heard of Wii U games doing 3D. That's pretty cool. I'd love to hear about other games that have this functionality.

We spent the weekend playing Assassin's Creed 3 that I never got around to testing out the collection.  Pretty great game.  Hopefully we'll be able to check out the rest of the Wii U library in depth.

I tried checking the PS4 game boxes to see which games are playable on a 3D TV looking for clues for the Wii U version but they're not marked either so when time permits during this health crisis at the moment I'm going to go through that collection as well.  If I had to guess Assassin's Creed Black Flag has to be 3D on the PS4 as well just by default of Assassin's Creed 3.

Before discovering 3D the other feature I'm digging on the Wii U is the second player on the tablet.  The Lego Games and COD games are fun to play for the first time in multiplayer mode because sharing the TV is no longer necessary.  I hate that split screen stuff.  Especially the Lego games because there's so much you can explore on your own.  For me 2 players games are only fun for fighting games like Street Fighter because you share the board and can't get too far away and there's never any split screen LOL.  They don't really advertise this on the box either for 2nd player tablet play.

Edited by TheGreatPW
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TheGreatPW said:

Thanks for the heads up on the PSVR.  I didn't even know it had an HDMI input.  I play a couple of games on it but truth is, I don't look at the new systems as closely like I use to.

Back in the day, I noticed the SIO port on the side of my Atari 7800 or difficulty switches in the back of the Atari 2600 even before it was turned on for the first time.

These days I let the kids set it up and just wait for my turn to play and pass it on to whoever is next LOL.

I sure missed the old days when I noticed every little thing about my consoles.  Long live Atari!

•  

Just looked at the PSVR and did you mean the port that goes to the PS4?

I assumed you meant there was like an auxiliary port but I guess not.  Kind of weird that Sony would allow another console to be using their VR headset and not have some type of block to stop it from happening.

I'm not going to test it either in case it messes up the VR LOL.  No reason to tell the Sony troubleshooter that it stopped working right because I tried the Wii U with it.

Edited by TheGreatPW

Wow. I didn't know Wii u did 3d. Now I guess it doesn't matter as I can't get another 3d tv (why?) Mine died and I was quite dismayed to find that you CAN'T purchase a new 3d tv anymore.

I love 3d,and purchased the 3ds just for this gimmick lol. Other than Nintendo's own refusal to support it, and the glaring lack of fps and adventure games (both of which I believe would have been amazing) I absolutely love it. I find 3d more beneficial than hd to be honest. I also notice far less eyestrain when viewing 3d for extended periods, such as when playing games.

Until motion control is a LOT better than it currently is, I'm not particularly interested in vr, but I'm all for 3d when possible.

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Video said:

Other than Nintendo's own refusal to support it

I agree with everything you said except for this (^), since Nintendo supported 3DS for around 8 years and almost every Nintendo game supports 3D (Pokémon games are not made by Nintendo actually).

I enjoy VR (Nintendo Labo VR kit is great), but I find it not confortable enough yet - I mean, if people don't like wearing glasses for 3D, why would they prefer a (most of the time wired) helmet? ^^ But because 3D TVs are hard to find, PSVR is probably the easiest way to watch 3D Blu-rays right now, and it's far from perfect. Unfortunately, 3D Blu-rays feature too much compression and even though it depends on films (lighting especially), nothing will beat the DCP versions in movie theatres. :( My 27' 3D TV is still working fortunately, but I regret not buying one of the rare 4K 3D TVs when I had the chance (they were very expensive though). T_T

Anyway, I still prefer 'simple' 3D to full VR for several reasons:

- Again it's more confortable (and I don't even use glasses, just polarized lenses that I put in front of my glasses)

- For video games, I admit 3D is more limited than the full VR experience, but I just don't see the point of watching 'flat' 2D stuff when games were originally modeled in 3D anyway. And 3D doesn't require special controls, doesn't induce motion sickness (at least not as much as VR). It just makes some games easier (3D platforming and flying simulations in particular).

- For movies, 3D adds depth but mostly retains the cinematic language (some people claim there are things you "can't" do in 3D but I think they're wrong). The problem with VR movies is that you can't define (as a director) the field of view, what's offscreen, etc. - which are essential to movie making. Of course it brings new possibilities, but I think it becomes a different form of art altogether.