IGNORED

Classic Console Releases to Switch - Why Not?

DavidD

Okay, this is more of a devil's advocate question, but...

There are a LOT of retro games on the Switch, and I know that smaller indie games seems to have a modicum of success on the platform.  Given that, has there been any talk of trying to do a retro/homebrew compilation release?  Nintendo doesn't seem to be preventing that -- Creepy Brawlers got a release, and it's an NES homebrew rom.

Has anyone considered getting together a batch of good quality homebrew and bundling it for release?  Given that homebrew software appears to already be appearing on the system, I was a bit surprised more wasn't.

(Tied to that, a collection of Lynx software would be weirdly fun, if a single entity actually retains the rights to several of them.  I know GoodDealGames was published Lynx carts, but I didn't know about the legality of such releases and/or the status of existing emulators and ROM images.  I thought I remembered something about certain Atari ROM images being released for homebrew developer use, but I didn't know if that extended to OS images being embedded in commercial emulated titles.)

On 4/7/2020 at 1:49 AM, DavidDayton said:

Official releases.

Again, there is at least one homebrew developer releasing emulated titles on the Switch...

Besides Creepy Brawlers there's also Haunted Halloween '86, but I think that is a port rather than emulated. Other homebrew ports: Gunlord, Xeno Crisis, probably others. I don't know how big the market is, but I'm in it.

I find most homebrew to be subpar to decent quality licensed releases, so it really would come down to the specific game/games in the package before I'd even consider it.  There's good reason many homebrewers don't break into the industry, good ideas, but not the best competency for execution.  Those fewer that do, they get the offers, or they (single or group they here) get a loan or budget it and peddle it on the cheap through itch.io, steam, etc and hope they make a name for themselves and grow from there.

• Like 2