IGNORED

Lynx 2020 Programming Competition

Igor

1 hour ago, karri said:

It is really amazing what you can do with these new chips.

*hmm* this opens a lot of ideas. Using an ESP32 board connected to ComLynx => Playing over WiFi. Or even better: Multiplayer with Lynx and Handy.

Too many ideas for limited time.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 42bs said:

*hmm* this opens a lot of ideas. Using an ESP32 board connected to ComLynx => Playing over WiFi. Or even better: Multiplayer with Lynx and Handy.

Too many ideas for limited time.

I have the same feeling.

After some experiments I am slowly starting to feel that an ordinary keyboard is better than a Launchpad. The Launchpad is rectangular that does not fit too well for a piano keyboard feeling. An ordinary cheap keyboard can easily provide one and a half octave. The keys are nicely interleaved and the speed is really good compared to lighted LED buttons. I might add small white stripes to the white keys and small black stripes to the black keys. Easier to play perhaps.

The Lynx has also 4 audio channels. So a LynxPad could have dedicated rows assigned to a row of keys.

chan4 = 123456...
chan3 = qwerty...
chan2 = asdfg...
chan1 = zxcvb...

The F-keys would then trigger a column at a time.

F1 = 1qaz
F2 = 2wsx
F3 = 3edc

Very intuitive and easy to play.

Caps lock could be the "toggle" between design mode and performance mode. You could also play small solos by keeping SHIFT pressed to bring in the piano keys and jam on top of the arranger.

Edit: Sorry for stealing this thread. I am continuing discussions elsewhere.

2 hours ago, karri said:

I have the same feeling.

After some experiments I am slowly starting to feel that an ordinary keyboard is better than a Launchpad.

Ok, so if you have USB-host running in the STM32, why not connect a keyboard like the Launchkey Mini?

Ok, it is MIDI class, but maybe it is easy to decode.

2 hours ago, 42bs said:

Ok, so if you have USB-host running in the STM32, why not connect a keyboard like the Launchkey Mini?

Ok, it is MIDI class, but maybe it is easy to decode.

I have a Launchpad Mini. But it is a little sluggish to operate. Besides, the leds provide no additional value. The decoding was trivial. I can use it.

43 minutes ago, karri said:

I have a Launchpad Mini. But it is a little sluggish to operate. Besides, the leds provide no additional value. The decoding was trivial. I can use it.

So actual, you can do what Sage tried some time ago: Having the Lynx as MIDI device. ?

Looking for the footage of the first chip-tune concert with a Lynx.

1 hour ago, Cyprian_K said:

nice

did you connect those red/green/yellow wires to the Lynx directly?

No. The Lynx wires come from UART-2 at 62500 baud through an Open Collector chip that I ordered today. The STM32 works on 3.3V and the Lynx on 5V.

These wires go to a ST-LINK v2 probe for programming and debugging the chip.

• 4 weeks later...

A little update.

Just completed a first basic, but fully playable, version of the Retroguru entry. It needs a lot of polishing and will have only a limited number of tunes for the lack of a chipper expert that can convert the retroguru mod tunes (other tunes will be added after the competition) but the game is already good enough to be presented.

So at least one new 2020 title is confirmed.

OCEO entry is is very in late, but now I'll switch to work on it on most of my free time. Hope to complete it in time because it's a very promising title. Already implemented a random level generator inspired by the Spelunky algorithm (not copied it, but wrote my own algorithm from scratch after studying how it works), so the game should be classified in the doungeon crawler genre with a platform layout. The idea is to descend several levels (with increasing difficulty and enemies) till a boss level to kill to where rescue something. After this the player will receive some bonus ability and will be free to continue playing in the dungeon indefinitively (but without gaining new points).

I will try to complete an alpha version for the end of June without the Boss (endless descend) an I hope to be able to finish a demo verson in time for the deadlne with enough contents to show the potential of a polished full version.

With all this work I had to delay the final version of 4TTude and Lawnmower, so it's unlikely that a phisical version will be released in the 2020, but sooner or later it will definitively happen.

What are doing the other devs? I'm curious.

7 hours ago, Nop90 said:

What are doing the other devs? I'm curious.

I just fixed my kayak and went out to the sea for a day. And then I am dreaming about buying a boat. It is for sale and looks lovely. But I would have to sail for 100 NM to get it home.

1165319830_Screenshotfrom2020-06-0206-35-04.thumb.png.54e4717f43b3079591b414a7e4e6b051.png

So I am soo late with my entry - again.

• Like 1

I've had to remove one entry and report it for racist/inappropriate content. It was just a troll post with no actual content but it's sad to see that someone would go to those lengths. I don't think it was anyone from the Lynx or even the Atari or the Retro Gaming community, but just a sad little troll trying to get a rise out of people. I'm glad to see that itch.io also removed the 'game' from their website.

Hope everyone else is going great, nice to see updates and progress from a number of people. I've not made much progress on my own entry unfortunately. We have a prediction of a cold and wet winter here in Australia so I've been busy trying to finish all of our rain water drainage around the yard. It's been very hard physical work digging through red river clay soil filled with gravel and larger rocks, but I'm about 2 weeks away from completion!

Then I can start doing some real coding and focus more on Atari Gamer content.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Igor said:

So I've had to remove another entry from the competition...it was this... https://rakha-98.itch.io/race-against

Obviously any garbage that will get submitted will be removed.

Hope everyone else is making good progress!

I did not get my boat - sigh... So there is a slight chance that I code something...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 3:07 AM, karri said:

I did not get my boat - sigh... So there is a slight chance that I code something...

29 minutes ago, Igor said:

Oh no, but now you can make a game about boats!

Now, that's a silver lining!  :lol:

If it means Karri codes another great game, let's hide all his other hobby materials.  ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KevinMos3 said:

Now, that's a silver lining!  :lol:

If it means Karri codes another great game, let's hide all his other hobby materials.  ;)

You wish! I still have an old dinghy without a rig and broken panels. So I just came back from a saw with some new parts.
IMG_20200623_131641.thumb.jpg.f83abb73f054ed4c2cc71cf579c0b93f.jpg

I also ordered some used sails from the UK. I also got a bucket of oil. So I am now heading for my summer cottage to fix an old, rotten dinghy.

Edit: It has to be a really rainy summer for me to sit inside. I also downgraded my project a bit. I think the deadline was in August? Or was it September?

4 hours ago, karri said:

I think the deadline was in August? Or was it September?

Mid August.

It is very short - 7 weeks remaining... including 4 weeks off (holidays)

So I guess I have to find a great idea (and lot of motivation) for a mini-game, or give up...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, karri said:

I will probably take the French approach. - Hectic around the clock coding just before the dead-line ;) 

True, but we still managed to send a couple of rockets into space :)

I'm also on the verge of signing off from the competition.

Odynexus is coming to maturity soon - it's just a matter of days now - but I need to refocus on Bombercats full (spare) time... too bad because my little engine is pretty cool.

That looks beautiful.  When I was a kid, scenery used to inspire me to draw and design levels for video games.  I'd sit outside and draw maps and characters.  There was one game I worked on for several years.  I worked on it so long that when I started, the NES was pretty new and when I finally quit, the Genesis and Super Nintendo were getting old.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...