IGNORED

Lynx 2020 Programming Competition

Igor

8 hours ago, Fadest said:

Can't wait to see all the games next week-end (26 inscriptions, so up to 26 games).

Right now, I really like the name of the game from Dr Ludos, I hope I do not put my expectations too high on this game :D

Twenty-six!? @Fadest Where did you find all this info, I'm curious to check it out too. ?

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

7 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

Twenty-six!? @Fadest Where did you find all this info, I'm curious to check it out too. ?

There may be several public itch.io pages with game projects but as the jam is "secret" you cannot follow the blogs of the developers. This reduces the appeal of the contest for me a bit.

• Like 1

26 registered people to the jam on itch.io.

But probably not 26 submissions. We will see next week.

My entry is quite ready. only missing points are :

- ABCmusic on 3 tracks (right now, I'm reusing the ones from Space Lock / Space shoot)

- SFX on the 4th track

- 3 artworks as rewards for some achievements

- maybe expand the Plus mode

I'm quite happy with the game and averything around it, but this is definitively not a candidate to victory.

• Like 1

95% chance it"s going to be 25 entries only... weather was just too nice the last 2 weeks in Stockholm :)

Game loop and tech are here but I have the feeling I wont be able to polish much in the last 4 days...

Oh well I guess I'll just take some more weeks and show the game later in september. Too bad I wont be at this party ?

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fadest said:

26 registered people to the jam on itch.io.

But probably not 26 submissions. We will see next week.

My entry is quite ready. only missing points are :

- ABCmusic on 3 tracks (right now, I'm reusing the ones from Space Lock / Space shoot)

- SFX on the 4th track

- 3 artworks as rewards for some achievements

- maybe expand the Plus mode

I'm quite happy with the game and averything around it, but this is definitively not a candidate to victory.

My Titan-game still lacks music. I am just gearing up my keyboard. This time I will try some Hip-Hop. It is a genre I am not familiar with so my guess is that my entry is far from the best games this time also. Hopefully not last as it was at Silly Ventures.

But if time permits I try to write my Hip-Hop in sync with the action on screen. It will be an interesting experiment.

• Like 2

Retroguru game shoul be ready to be released in beta version (only two tunes, 4 missing, bad gfx and a lot of things to be polished). Will not be a winning title but at least I'm satisfied of the coding part.

Ifvyou check the Retroguru titles you should easily guess wich one I converted to lynx.

I gave up with the OCEO title, I'll save it for this winter.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nop90 said:

If you check the Retroguru titles you should easily guess wich one I converted to lynx.

So many Retroguru games I'd like to see on the Lynx. I guess it is one you already ported to 3DS ?

I vote for Fruit'Y (would be nice to have more puzzle games, and Lynx is great for this) or one of the Sqrxz games.

On Asteroids Chasers, added the 3 artworks nobody will never see in the game (1 cannot be unlock right now, and 2 others implies people playing many hundred games), but these kinds of useless things make me think I'm close to completion (even if it's no true) :D

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1

Woaw, I've been without Internet for about a week, and I've missed a lot of cool updates!

Congrats everyone on your entries, they look great and varied!

On my end, I'm putting the finishing touches on my entry:

inftxJ.png

This is a simple / small arcade game loosely inspired by soccer, with robots. There is also a very unique twist in the gameplay mechanic inspired by the "future" theme, but you'll discover it in a few days ;)

Regarding palettes, for my entry I'm using "Sweetie16", by GrafxKid:

https://lospec.com/palette-list/sweetie-16

Although I'm not an artist, this is one of the most beautiful 16 color palette I've seen, and it's very well suited to make colorful / warm pictures.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, drludos said:

Although I'm not an artist, this is one of the most beautiful 16 color palette I've seen, and it's very well suited to make colorful / warm pictures.

That is a nice palette for an updated Lynx. On original LCD's small contrast difference and yellows appear to vanish completely.

4 hours ago, drludos said:

Woaw, I've been without Internet for about a week, and I've missed a lot of cool updates!

Congrats everyone on your entries, they look great and varied!

On my end, I'm putting the finishing touches on my entry:

inftxJ.png

This is a simple / small arcade game loosely inspired by soccer, with robots. There is also a very unique twist in the gameplay mechanic inspired by the "future" theme, but you'll discover it in a few days ;)

Very nice palette indeed. The  artwork on the page by GrafxKid is amazing, just shows you how incredible 16 colors could look with pixel art graphics. Great inspiration for the Lynx!

Your game looks splendid! Do you make the pixelart yourself or do you have an artist helping?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karri said:

That is a nice palette for an updated Lynx. On original LCD's small contrast difference and yellows appear to vanish completely.

Contrast the yellow with index 2 and 3 or with the 4 blues (complementary colors have the highest harmonic contrast). Many options, where is the problem?

7 hours ago, Fadest said:

Looks great !

Is the name a clue ?

Yes, the name is definitively a clue. The game is titled "Timeloop."

@LordKraken I'm big Speedball fan too (and also of Skateball on Amstrad CPC, and Hyperblade on PC), but my game is nowhere as rich as this masterpiece or close to a real sport. You have robots, a ball, a goal, and it plays like a chaotic and frantic version of soccer due to the "unique" something in the game mechanics :)

3 hours ago, karri said:

Actually, I only have a original Lynx II, and the palette does look good on it too. Although it's a bit "washed out" of course, it's still pleasing to the eye IMHO. But obviously Sweetie16 is not a "generic palette", it's meant for colorful / cartoon graphics. For a more multi-purpose palette, I think the "definitive" one is the famous DB16 palette:

https://lospec.com/palette-list/dawnbringer-16

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Very nice palette indeed. The  artwork on the page by GrafxKid is amazing, just shows you how incredible 16 colors could look with pixel art graphics. Great inspiration for the Lynx!

Your game looks splendid! Do you make the pixelart yourself or do you have an artist helping?

Thanks, coming from an actual pixelartist that means a lot (great work on Odynexus BTW)! I did the pixelart myself, as with all of my games, but I did use the Grafxkid image gallery for reference / inspiration to draw the robots in this game.

• Like 1

Woah nice updates you all! I'm really looking forward to these entries. Remember the competition versions do not have to be the final versions but can act as a launch pad for a future (ehehe see what I did there) version with more polish and possible even published on real cart. I'm sure @Albert will be very interested in taking all your entries to the next level on physical cart release.

Also here are a couple of screenshots of my game...it's a bit dystopian themed, very much in line with what the competition's theme is asking.

Screenshot.png.bc5ba7ad741e7ad7a11c4411e1ddd3fc.png Screenshot1.png.fcf1d16377c80c452cf9f75b28751ec4.png

Edited by Igor
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Contrast the yellow with index 2 and 3 or with the 4 blues (complementary colors have the highest harmonic contrast). Many options, where is the problem?

There is no problem. The screenshot was broken when I wrote the comment. Now when I saw it the contrast is ok.

18 hours ago, Fadest said:

I vote for Fruit'Y (would be nice to have more puzzle games, and Lynx is great for this) or one of the Sqrxz games.

I have a POC of Fruity, but at the moment the gfx dont' work fine (too smal icons), and it's not space themed.

Sqrxz ported on Lynx will be a challenge.

My title is something else... a sequel! Tomorrow on Itch.io.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

I have a POC of Fruity, but at the moment the gfx dont' work fine (too smal icons), and it's not space themed.

So you decided to get back in space. - Good choice! See you on Titan.

49 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

Good teasing :)!

I think I know what game it is thanks to Karri's hint - Looking forward to play it as the first one was already very cool!