IGNORED

Ultimate Gamers Expo

MacGurl

From the front page of the UGE site (emphasis mine):

Ultimate Gamers Expo, LLC (UGE) is proud to announce the Ultimate Gamers Expo, a high-profile consumer event launching at the Los Angeles Convention Center, August 15-17, 2003.

From the "Phantom" announcement:

Infinium Labs announced today that the highly anticipated new gaming console, Phantom, will be unveiled to the public at the first annual Ultimate Gamers Expo in August.

From XboxCity (whatever THAT is):

The United Cyber Games Association (UCGA) today announced that the U.S. Finals of the Samsung World Cyber Games (WCG) will be held in Los Angeles at the first-ever Ultimate Gamers Expo (UGE), August 15-17.

Yup, I'm pretty certain this is the first one. ;)

Then where did the pics with the UGE banners hanging down at some other expo or show come from? It isn't that I don't believe you...far from it. But it makes me wonder what the heck is up with the photos on the PDF?

Tell me, exactly which previous UGE that could not have existed...did the below attached pictures come from? Or...is this just Photoshop magic at work?

:roll:

Yeah, there is definitely a shortage of information on that site. Here is an interesting quote, though:

The projected attendance is 100,000+ participants, males and females ranging from 12-34 years of age. The target demographic is 18-24 males in the mid to high income bracket.

All major games publishers are expected to be represented in over 250,000 square feet of exhibition space.

Pretty bold statements given they only have a small number of exhibitors presently listed on the site. It's obviously being run by a professional organization due to the size of the show (the floor plan is pretty damn big), but the website has changed little since the show was announced some time ago. Looks like they are trying to setup a "Mini-E3" geared towards the gaming public, as opposed to E3 which is a closed show only open to industry professionals and media. It's even being held at the same convention center.

It's possible that they are heavily promoting the event in the Los Angeles area, and given the rather large population there (and in California in general), they will probably get a pretty sizeable turnout. I know if I was out there I'd check it out. If they manage to fill that hall with exhibitors, the $50 pass for three days wouldn't be too bad.

..Al

Then where did the pics with the UGE banners hanging down at some other expo or show come from?  It isn't that I don't believe you...far from it.  But it makes me wonder what the heck is up with the photos on the PDF?

It's surely just as you said, they either photoshopped some images or they had some banners hanging at another event somewhere. If the images are as small as the ones you attached to your message, then the Photoshopping wouldn't be very difficult, given there's not much detail.

..Al

100,000+??? That is a booold statement, wow. I just hope they can pull it off or it's going to be a huge embarrassment when only 2000 people trickle in. :) Isn't Infinium the same company that tried to launch that Linux-based console? Or am I thinking of another company? The name of the box was the Indrema, which got canned eventually.

What kind of attendance does E3 usually pull in, if they can manage 10-20% of that, then thats a good crowd, that Floor plan is insane!!! You'd better bring roller blades otherwise you'd never hit all the supposed vendors who are to be there...

This one kinda stayed under the radar, even if it is (from the sound of it on their site) a primarily Modern Gaming Expo, it should've circulated more then it has in the classic game player circles... This is some busy summer, no lack of shows to pick and choose from, or if you got the gas money... a marathon attendance at all the events this summer, and more on their way in the fall, nice!

Curt

I haven't heard much about this expo other than through the gaming boards I lurk on. If they are trying to promote it locally, they aren't doing a very good job. ;) My husband and I may check it out. I'm interested in seeing the "Phantom" myself.

What kind of attendance does E3 usually pull in, if they can manage 10-20% of that, then thats a good crowd, that Floor plan is insane!!!   You'd better bring roller blades otherwise you'd never hit all the supposed vendors who are to be there...

According to the E3 Website,

Over 60,000 of the world's most influential retailers, distributors, developers, investors and media gather here for three days of intensive deal-making.

So, it would appear that the Ultimate Gaming Expo is trying to shoot for an even larger attendance. E3 is already pretty damn crowded in spots even with "only" 60,000 people in attendance, I can't imagine 100,000 crammed into an even smaller space (E3 spans three entire halls, UGE appears to be only one).

..Al

Sorry if this is a lame question but what is this Phantom system??? Is it a proposed game console? Based on what kind of OS?

its basically this system that claims to be able to do tons of things and "blow away" all other systems.. but its basically a rinkydink little computer. Pretty funny stuff  ;)

Yeah, given how inexpensive PCs are these days, this is a tough market to compete in. It'll be interesting to see what happens after they unveil the console at UGE. Thus far, it really just looks like an alternative distribution method for PC games. It also seems they aren't going to charge licensing fees, so it's unclear to me how they're going to make their money. Perhaps a monthly fee for the service? I doubt they'll make enough on selling the actual hardware to stay afloat..

..Al

Yeah, I've heard that a couple of places, but have yet to find confirmation. The UGE website isn't saying that (nor will it, probably) and I can't locate any other PR that says it's a cooked goose. Anyone have a link to a announcement somewhere? Anywhere?

Yeah, I've heard that a couple of places, but have yet to find confirmation. The UGE website isn't saying that (nor will it, probably) and I can't locate any other PR that says it's a cooked goose. Anyone have a link to a announcement somewhere? Anywhere?

Why am I not surprised? :lol:

its basically this system that claims to be able to do tons of things and "blow away" all other systems.. but its basically a rinkydink little computer. Pretty funny stuff  ;)

Yeah, given how inexpensive PCs are these days, this is a tough market to compete in. It'll be interesting to see what happens after they unveil the console at UGE. Thus far, it really just looks like an alternative distribution method for PC games. It also seems they aren't going to charge licensing fees, so it's unclear to me how they're going to make their money. Perhaps a monthly fee for the service? I doubt they'll make enough on selling the actual hardware to stay afloat..

..Al

Wasn't it already rumored that the software would only be online...forcing consumers to connect and download whenever they wanted to play the thing??

I thought there was a thread about this :?

Archived