IGNORED

1200 baud Modem for Tandy Portables

bluejay

I dunno why, I just want a 1200 baud modem for my Tandy 200. Being a millennial, I have no clue on modem compatibility between computers, and what modems are good and what aren't. Can I use any 1200 baud modem with a db25 cable to connect to my 200?

What are good(preferably an auto-answering one) 1200 baud modems that aren't expensive for my 200?

Hayes is pretty much the only 3rd party modem company that seems legit that I know of, so I thought I'd buy a cheap Hayes Personal Modem 1200. Has anyone used this particular modem bitd? Thanks in advance:)

Edited by bluejay

I dunno why, I just want a 1200 baud modem for my Tandy 200. Being a millennial, I have no clue on modem compatibility between computers, and what modems are good and what aren't. Can I use any 1200 baud modem with a db25 cable to connect to my 200?
What are good(preferably an auto-answering one) 1200 baud modems that aren't expensive for my 200?
Hayes is pretty much the only 3rd party modem company that seems legit that I know of, so I thought I'd buy a cheap Hayes Personal Modem 1200. Has anyone used this particular modem bitd? Thanks in advance:)
Pretty much any modem with a serial port works on any computer with a serial port..

Us robotics made the best modems they are called courier vanything and they are flash updatable to newer standards but they are faster than 1200 but of course you can just use it at 1200 baud and will work fine

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Pretty much any modem with a serial port works on any computer with a serial port..

Us robotics made the best modems they are called courier vanything and they are flash updatable to newer standards but they are faster than 1200 but of course you can just use it at 1200 baud and will work fine

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

You mean v.everything?

• Like 1

If you're new to modems, I'd stick with Hayes compatible.  Non Hayes works fine too, but the command set will be proprietary and most likely not compatible with any software you'll use in the future...it would be like buying a non Epson compatible printer back in the day.  Still not a deal breaker, you'll just need to enter dial commands manually and many terminal programs allowed you to reconfigure its automated dialing/answering commands.  Whatever you buy, make sure you can find a manual for it so you know what those commands are.

A 56K will still work at 300 or 1200.  Those cheap 56K plastic US Robotics are dime-a-dozen and work well but they won't look period correct for anything built before the 90s.

The Packard Bell with the silver steel case (PB1200Plus) is old cool looking.  They also made them in 2400 to 9600 all looking the same...they were very popular and are now dirt cheap.

If you're into looks and not worried about Hayes, there's some really cool stuff out there.  Anything by DEC Digital (Digital Equipment Corp) or the Prometheus Promodem series from the early 80s are truly bad ass looking.

https://www.pinterest.com/blakespot/modems-vintage/

On 4/6/2020 at 3:20 PM, Turbo-Torch said:

If you're new to modems, I'd stick with Hayes compatible.  Non Hayes works fine too, but the command set will be proprietary and most likely not compatible with any software you'll use in the future...it would be like buying a non Epson compatible printer back in the day.  Still not a deal breaker, you'll just need to enter dial commands manually and many terminal programs allowed you to reconfigure its automated dialing/answering commands.  Whatever you buy, make sure you can find a manual for it so you know what those commands are.

A 56K will still work at 300 or 1200.  Those cheap 56K plastic US Robotics are dime-a-dozen and work well but they won't look period correct for anything built before the 90s.

The Packard Bell with the silver steel case (PB1200Plus) is old cool looking.  They also made them in 2400 to 9600 all looking the same...they were very popular and are now dirt cheap.

If you're into looks and not worried about Hayes, there's some really cool stuff out there.  Anything by DEC Digital (Digital Equipment Corp) or the Prometheus Promodem series from the early 80s are truly bad ass looking.

https://www.pinterest.com/blakespot/modems-vintage/

Thanks, I actually like the design of the US Robotics modem, and the beige one looks like it would match my T laptops well with some yellowing:)

I could search up online PDFs of the original manual if it doesn't come with it.

1 hour ago, bluejay said:

Thanks, I actually like the design of the US Robotics modem, and the beige one looks like it would match my T laptops well with some yellowing:)

I could search up online PDFs of the original manual if it doesn't come with it.

I think all US Robotics will use the Hayes standard.  Some of their early models even resembled Hayes modems.

To dial out from your computer, you'd simply type in ATDT and then the phone number.  Or ATDP for pulse dialing if you still had rotary phone service to your house.