IGNORED

7iX [WIP]

Pat Brady

On 7/9/2020 at 3:04 AM, bizarrostormy said:

If anyone out there has a CC2 or Concerto and is willing to run some prototypes with it, please send me a PM.

Several of us have the Mateos cart as well and can load up WIP versions to test on actual hardware as well.

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Several of us have the Mateos cart as well and can load up WIP versions to test on actual hardware as well.

The current development version uses cart RAM but not bankswitching. That configuration was not used by any commercial games and Mateos does not have an extension for it. I’m not certain Concerto supports it either but I can at least tell Concerto (via .a78 header) what I’m doing.

Maybe I should make it a 64k rom for now just to make it a standard configuration.

3 hours ago, bizarrostormy said:

The current development version uses cart RAM but not bankswitching. That configuration was not used by any commercial games and Mateos does not have an extension for it. I’m not certain Concerto supports it either but I can at least tell Concerto (via .a78 header) what I’m doing.

Maybe I should make it a 64k rom for now just to make it a standard configuration.

Well, there were more games than I think the ones listed that were super game releases and the Mateos supports them just fine. I just have to put the SG extension on the binary so the Mateos knows how to present it to the 7800. So I'm pretty sure it supports it but there is only one way to test that I suppose?

• 2 months later...

Not really. I made some improvements since the last posted version, including getting it to run on actual hardware, thanks to volunteers. I acquired my own testing solution but haven’t gotten it to work yet, which has stalled my progress.

I’ll try to get back in gear this weekend.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:15 PM, HammR25 said:

Hopefully with enough testing of your testing solution you'll be able to get it fixed so you can test the game more.

That is pretty much how it works.

Anyway, I have gotten back into this project. There is much work to do, and I probably won’t drop another binary for a while, but it feels good to be making progress again.

Edited by bizarrostormy
  • Like 4

On 10/3/2020 at 5:24 PM, bizarrostormy said:

That is pretty much how it works.

Anyway, I have gotten back into this project. There is much work to do, and I probably won’t drop another binary for a while, but it feels good to be making progress again.

Great news!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SoundGammon said:

How about a Head to Head option? Two players battling for the most screen area!

Think SURROUND!

Twin Qix did this, but in a splitscreen format:

It's actually pretty fun.  The idea of being able to move between two-player cooperative and combative gameplay on the same playfield, though, could get really interesting.

Still, looking forward to see how the regular game turns out.  One of my favourites, so am happy to see the 7800 getting a port.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Exclusive WIP Update of 7ix on tomorrow's stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 8

James and Tanya @ZeroPage Homebrew, thank you for playing this game on your show. I had a lot of fun!

I attached the current build. This is a bit newer than the main version you played, but the differences are mostly internal (I rearranged everything so that it only uses 8K of cartridge RAM). The 128k version is for any flash carts that don't support RAM without bankswitching.

I was very pleased with how the version with lines looked on the show, but I am not posting it yet. It lacks collision detection, it draws some lines incorrectly, and it is highly unstable. Hopefully soon!

I had forgotten about dark mode (from the initial screen, push down repeatedly until the walls disappear). I intended the color selection purely for testing colors, but dark mode turned out to be a fun variation. Glad you discovered it!

The issue with narrow fill being drawn as a thick wall only occurs horizontally. A tall, skinny area looks like a thick wall, but a short, wide area appears correctly. In either case, it does not affect gameplay.

It is possible to draw between segments of the 7iX. I do not consider that a bug — but it will be much harder to accomplish when the 7iX is made out of lines.

Scoring, for anybody unfamiliar with the arcade game: blue fill is 100 points per 1% claimed, with individual points for fractions of a percentage (thanks to @johnnywc for sharing that). Orange fill scores double. After completing a level, 1000 bonus points per percentage claimed beyond the threshold.

I am happy enough with the new TIA sound that I doubt I will use AtariVox for music in this project. It's an interesting idea that I hope to explore, but it will probably be in a different game.

Plans: 7iX made out of lines, fuse, multiple sparx, double 7iX, bells and whistles.

7iX-2022-03-05.a78 7iX-2022-03-05-128k.a78

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@Pat Brady You've done a brilliant job with this game mate! Congrats on getting it running so beautifully already and looking forward to the next stages of development ?

The drawing mode is also very intriguing - hopefully you can use this technique again for a future project. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/10/2020 at 2:55 AM, Jaden (JRH) said:

Awesome, thank you so much! I feel bad that I couldn't get the module working and I honestly don't know what I was doing wrong. But I'm glad that you could help render this for me. Maybe one day, I'll get around to learning 7800basic.

Dude, don't worry, we at the 7800 programming have your back. (But honestly, its why I like to make single file games)

Edit: I don't ususally talk like this... 

Edited by Ecernosoft