IGNORED

RCA Studio II not working

BurgerWeeze

Hey guys, I just joined to mainly ask this question but I'm sure I'll come back here more often haha!

I hope that this is the correct section in the forum to ask this:

So basically I got this RCA Studio II console, however it doesn't work properly. When I turn it on i just a bunch of corrupted graphics, nothing resembling a game, even though it's supposed to come pre installed with 5 games.

When I put in a cartridge I get the same screen, as if it doesn't recognize the games.

Obviously it does turn on, the LED turns on, I get jumbled graphics and a sound for a second.

There's not much info about this console so I was hoping to find someone on here. Does anybody have experience with that console, seen something similar or know how to fix this?

Hope someone has an idea.

Thanks

graphics.jpg

index.jpg

pcb.jpg

switchbox.jpg

Since you are getting something on the screen the analog portion is probably working ok, so video is getting from the video chip to the TV, so this would leave a problem with the digital part of the system. In any other system I would say start with cleaning the cart connector, but since the internal games don't work either, that's not going to be an issue. If you have soldering skills you could try touching up solder joints. 

Update:

I resoldered every single pin but it changed nothing... Still get the same corrupted picture

I've also checked the diodes, all good. Next up I guess I'll try switching out caps... once I can get my hands on some parts.

Edited by BurgerWeeze
Further troubleshooting since last post

On 4/17/2020 at 8:17 PM, BurgerWeeze said:

Update:

I resoldered every single pin but it changed nothing... Still get the same corrupted picture

I've also checked the diodes, all good. Next up I guess I'll try switching out caps... once I can get my hands on some parts.

Did you check if you are getting a good voltage from the power supply?