IGNORED

Timeslip 2020 (48KB)

Nojeee

I've recently been converting some of my old A8 games to the 5200 and have just finished Timeslip. I made so many changes and improvements to the game that I thought a new A8 version would be good too.

The game first came out on the Commodore C16 in 1985 followed by the Atari 8-bit version in 1986. I had no way of testing the game on NTSC, so when I started the 5200 conversion it soon became obvious that it was even more difficult to play on NTSC!

This version has numerous changes although I've kept the original feel ... and programmer art! The key changes are listed in the document along with some tips. The restricted area for gameplay does make it tricky so I've added a Practice Mode that allows continuous play to get used to the controls.

I hope you enjoy the updates.

Jon

Timeslip_2020.xex Timeslip_2020_A8_Notes.doc

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

35 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Thank you Jon, as I told you on Atari Sector, Timeslip for the A8 is my favorite game of yours. I'm looking forward to the update, and trying it on my 48K 800!

I hope you like the updates and don’t think it’s too easy now. I feel the changes make it easier to complete (after practice) but with more reason to replay. 

• Like 1

Thank you Jon. I just read about Timeslip in Darren Doyle's book. Being released after I switched to the ST, I didn't know about the game at all and it was amongst those I made a "need to try this" mental note. Your re-release is a welcome opportunity!

Hi Jon, thanks for updated version. I just played it and finished on first try :). I played the game many times when I was kid.

I can see 2 mini bugs:

1. number "5" is a bit changed (1 line) ... I suppose unintentionally.

2. rocket DLI is starting 1 scanline later than it sgould... producing PMG artifacts when rocket is on very top position (I just checked original release and it "suffers" from the same bug)

BR,

Martin

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, matosimi said:

Hi Jon, thanks for updated version. I just played it and finished on first try :). I played the game many times when I was kid.

I can see 2 mini bugs:

2. rocket DLI is starting 1 scanline later than it sgould... producing PMG artifacts when rocket is on very top position (I just checked original release and it "suffers" from the same bug)

BR,

Martin

Hi Martin,

I don't think the number '5' has changed from the original version - are you looking at the in-game font?

There are so many DLI's firing up along with WSYNC's to change scroll values, colors, PMG positions etc that I've left it all well alone for this update. The artifact is a result of the PMG also being used on the top score line to give additional colors. To be honest, I didn't want to play around with that only to break something else.

Jon

5 minutes ago, slx said:

I managed to destroy all orbs in Novice mode after a bit of training on Normal but failed to find out how to zero a time zone once I have destroyed all the orbs in it. 

Once the Orbs have been destroyed in a Zone you need to keep going until the Zone clock wraps around - instead of going to 12:00 it will stop at 00:00. When you've traveled to 01:00 the Zone report row will change to -FREE- rather than LOCKED and it will automatically stop at Zero. You need to repeat that for all three Zones.

3 hours ago, Nojeee said:

Hi Martin,

I don't think the number '5' has changed from the original version - are you looking at the in-game font?

There are so many DLI's firing up along with WSYNC's to change scroll values, colors, PMG positions etc that I've left it all well alone for this update. The artifact is a result of the PMG also being used on the top score line to give additional colors. To be honest, I didn't want to play around with that only to break something else.

Jon

timeslip.png

17 minutes ago, matosimi said:

timeslip.png

Hmm ... that's interesting. When I first got Timeslip compiling from my old source code I was missing the character sets. I grabbed the data from a version of Timeslip that I downloaded from Atarimania. I've just checked and that version does, indeed, have the odd digit 5 (I must admit I'd never noticed). I've just downloaded a copy from a different source and that version is fine. I've tweaked the character using your editor and it'll make it's way into any updated version. Thanks for the heads up.

I've also risen to the the challenge of Mrs. Doyle @Wrathchild and taken another look at that scan line issue. I tried all sorts of rearrangements of the DLI but there was always a problem one way or another ... you don't notice it in the other Zones as the player doesn't go right to the top. I then had a thought (which only happens occasionally) and added a blank line to the display list (below the top text row). This cleared the glitch but did shift all of the PMG down by a line which I had to fix. I'll need to give it some heavy testing to make sure it doesn't have any knock on effect but if it's ok I'll post it here. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you have BASIC enabled as the binary uses that area

EXE: Loading program 0006-0007 to 02E0-02E1
EXE: Loading program 000C-7B64 to 4000-BB58
EXE: Launching at 4000

(Not often we see the Run address loaded before the code but just as legitimate)

image.thumb.png.ef585a5115553522d5cf037087965e6b.png

Timeslip_2020 (Basic Disable).xex

Edited by Wrathchild
Patched binary attached
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

Looks like you have BASIC enabled as the binary uses that area

EXE: Loading program 0006-0007 to 02E0-02E1
EXE: Loading program 000C-7B64 to 4000-BB58
EXE: Launching at 4000

(Not often we see the Run address loaded before the code but just as legitimate)

image.thumb.png.ef585a5115553522d5cf037087965e6b.png

Timeslip_2020 (Basic Disable).xex 30.87 kB · 0 downloads

46 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Tested with AVG Cart, SIO2PC-Usb and SDrive-Max too.

Perhaps you had Basic enabled?

GREAT! You were right, that solved the problem!, Thank You guys!

On 4/12/2020 at 3:36 PM, matosimi said:

I can see 2 mini bugs:

BR,

Martin

I've changed the digit '5' in the game font and tweaked the display list to get rid of the zone 1 artifact. The latter fix did need a lot of additional adjustments to the PMG (and multiple other display lists used for the in-game 'message windows'). I've given it a good few hours testing on PAL and NTSC so fingers crossed it hasn't had any knock on effects that I haven't spotted.

There are no other changes so the original notes are still valid.

Timeslip_2020_V2.xex

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3