IGNORED

A Tale of Dragons and Swords (Kai Magazine/Elektronite) for Mattel Intellivision

Hello folks!
This video shows the upcoming Mattel Intellivision game “A Tale of Dragons and Swords” developed by Kai Magazine, published by Elektronite and based on an idea of Valter Prette.

In this video you can see the intro, six minutes of uninterrupted game-play and after that, you can see several levels of the dungeon, enemies and key elements of the game.
At the end of the video you can see an epic fight against a huge dragon:

The game is finished and in the beta-testing process.

This game features different difficulty levels, in-cartridge game save, different graphics and musical tracks for the dungeons, many multi-coloured enemies, 99 levels of experience for the player/character, shops, magic items, new abilities, 3 endings and much more, all in a big capacity cartridge (the game is 200Kb aprox).

The musical tracks are composed by John Hassink (TNT cowboy, Antropomorphic Force) and the cover is illustrated by Miguel Angel Jimenez (TNT cowboy, Antropomorphic Force).

We hope you like it!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

There are 2 main reasons for that:

First, back in 79-83, cartridge ROM chips were very expensive, so most games were 8 or 16kb in size.

Today this is no longer an issue and the games can be 100 or 200kb big, so with all that extra space we can add more variety and make them more similar to games from 1986.

Second, today we use coding techniques that are way more advanced than those back in 79-83, simply because noone invented them yet.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Kai_Magazine said:

There are 2 main reasons for that:

First, back in 79-83, cartridge ROM chips were very expensive, so most games were 8 or 16kb in size.

Today this is no longer an issue and the games can be 100 or 200kb big, so with all that extra space we can add more variety and make them more similar to games from 1986.

Second, today we use coding techniques that are way more advanced than those back in 79-83, simply because noone invented them yet.

Wow. That makes sense though. I remember back in the SNES and N64 days, gamers liked it when games came on larger carts because it was usually an indication that there was some cool stuff going on graphically. 

Regarding the coding techniques, are you saying that we can do better BASIC coding today than back then?

It has nothing to do with the language itself.

A technique can be performed by any given language, as long as the language supports it.

If not, you can just Poke or Out your way to make it happen.

When I am talking about techniques, I am talking about things such as:

-Massive character/sprite/tile redefinition in real time (frame by frame)

-Using tiles to create animated enemies, monsters or bosses, instead of sprites

-Create a complex system of CPU optimization, so not everything is processed in the same game frame, but instead, the more important elements work at 60FPS, but others are only calculated in turns, every 2, 4 or 8 frames

Those are just very basic examples of what I mean, but there are many many others, and those practices were not applied back then. 

Edited by Kai_Magazine
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This looks pretty cool!  I was surprised to see that upon striking enemies they don't freeze or recoil from the hit.  They just keep coming at you.  I initially thought this would make for a very difficult game but with healing, fast running, stronger weapons, and shields/armor I think it will be manageable.  Looking forward to this one!

• Like 2