IGNORED

Whats the best system 4 me?

tantone56

Hey im going out to buy an atari system tomorrow and I was woundering if someone could tell me what the best atari system is. I want it to be compatable with atari 2600 games and preferrably not at a high cost. Also comfortable controllers are a necessity... Can someone tell me what the name of my dream atari system is and a rough estimate on how much it would cost me.................Thanks.

tantone56

Hey im going out to buy an atari system tomorrow and I was woundering if someone could tell me what the best atari system is. I want it to be compatable with atari 2600 games and preferrably not at a high cost. Also comfortable controllers are a necessity... Can someone tell me what the name of my dream atari system is and a rough estimate on how much it would cost me.................Thanks.

tantone56

Get a 2600. It's fairly cheap, tons of games, and tons of controllers. You should be able to pick up a working system with a few games for under $40.

Go to epay (if you don't mind) and look at the system lots for either the 2600 or 7800. The 7800 is nice cause it can play both, but the controllers are a little wacky and some games (noteably activision titles) apparently have trouble fitting in the slot.

You can usually pick up a good system with a good 50+ games if you look around hard enough. I've been watching ebay for 3 weeks now and there never seems to be a shortage of those things.

Just make sure you pay attention to the payment terms (paypal, money order, etc) and the sellers rating (including how many they have.

Me personally I would get a 7800 and my hands on the cx78 game pads. They are NES style pads that came out in europe for the 7800. But you can get them here in the states.

I plan on buying some cx78 game pads this weeks.

I avoided mentioning the 5200 simply cause it can get a tad expensive and overwhelming for a newby. Fighting the sticks alone is enough to give one a headache.

During my head to head battle with my 5200 sticks though I think I got to the point I can confidently fix them (even with a joystick repair kit). The key is learning to take them apart and put them back together properly.

Hm.. 7800's are cool, but you could probably get a better deal on a ColecoVision with an Atari adapter.. they're fairly common on eBay. Go for the best of both worlds and be more true to the times.

IMHO ColecoVision games are a hoot, and despite what people say, the carts are a bargain in my opinion. You can get ultra-rare Coleco carts for a fraction of what people are paying for ultra-rare Atari carts. (and Psst.. the games are better!)

-rpm-

tantone56

Get a speak and spell ;)

JK, a 2600 is good, you can always get a 7800 later :)

Archived