IGNORED

Do You Think Cooking Mama: Cookstar Is Gonna Be The Stadium Events Of The Switch?

Magmavision2000

Since this has been going around for the past month, I'm sure you guys already know about it. If not, here's a TL;DR version: Cooking Mama: Cookstar was released on the eshop and In stores on March 31st, 2020, but was quickly removed from the eshop and all remaining shipments we're halted due to a legal battle from Office Create (Owners of Cooking Mama).

If Office Create wins the legal battle, then that means the only way to play this game, is to buy the limited retail release. Keep in mind, this seems to be developing (and I haven't done a lot of research on the subject), so this post will probably be dated in a couple of weeks, but I have to ask, If the worst-case scenario happens and this game never gets released (again), will it be the Stadium Events of the Switch or is it too early to make that assumption?

Update: I just got on eBay to look up the prices and so far they're only $20-$30 more than an average AAA Switch game. Plus, it seems like there's a lot of people who have this "rare" and "limited supply" game up for sale. What if this is a publicity stunt? 

Idk, but im gonna find a copy just in case ;-)

12 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Update: I just got on eBay to look up the prices and so far they're only $20-$30 more than an average AAA Switch game. Plus, it seems like there's a lot of people who have this "rare" and "limited supply" game up for sale. What if this is a publicity stunt? 

Idk, but im gonna find a copy just in case ;-)

Amazon USA is your friend. Still available at $60 from third party sellers. None of them ship to Japan, so I think I'll ship it to my forwarding company in the USA.

Still, it will take some time for it to become valuable. I am not sure how many copies they made of Cooking Mama, but I imagine it's way more than the 1000 copies of the US Vita HDN Re;Birth 1 LE. The rarest game that I know of that was available to the public is Darius Alpha, which only has 800 copies. Soldier Blade Special Caravan Stage might have less copies than that since it was only produced in extremely small numbers for events and it was never publicly released until the PC Engine mini last month, unlike Darius Alpha, which did get something of a public release, although you had to buy both Super Darius and Darius Plus and then enter a lottery to buy it/win it or something.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

5 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

unlike Darius Alpha, which did get something of a public release, although you had to buy both Super Darius and Darius Plus and then enter a lottery to buy it/win it or something.

That's the most convoluted way to get a game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

That's the most convoluted way to get a game.

And that's part of why it's so prized. Maybe the US version of Magical Chase on the TurboGrafx is more expensive, but I'm not sure if they actually made less of those than they did Darius Alpha.

There are 2 copies of the Japanese PC Engine version of Magical Chase in Super Potato right now for 76700 yen each. The Japanese PC Engine version is much cheaper than the US TurboGrafx version.

There is actually a copy of Darius Alpha over in BEEP right now. If I had $3000 or so that I had nothing to do with I'd go buy it without hesitation, but I unfortunately do not. Not sure if it's for sale or just there on display, though. They have a prototype for the Linguaphone Education Gear sitting right next to it on display and that's definitely not for sale, so it would not surprise me if their Darius Alpha is just a display piece as well.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Well, I bought a copy of Cooking Mama on Amazon. Apparently the game is crap. I guess I won't feel bad about never opening it and playing it, although I kind of want to just to see.

If it doesn't become the next Mega Drive Tetris, Magical Chase (US), Stadium Events, EU Neo Geo AES Kizuna Encounter (they only made 5 copies. Not sure if this counts as "available to the public") or whatever equivalent you want, whatever. I didn't pay an insane amount of cash for it, so no big loss and it's something cool to add to the collection!

I think it's gonna be more like the Switch's Devil's Third- something that got touted as being rare during the system's lifetime, so collectors grabbed it up. It'll have value just due to low print run, but nothing like the Holy Grails of the NES era- whose value comes from people not caring so few copies survived to today.

I'm honestly not sure we'll see anything modern reach those kinds of numbers, just becuase too many people these days are actively collecting so more copies are being kept instead of used, ruined & thrown away. Maybe that poop game on the PS4, since no one believed it was real so practically none got out to the public.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:48 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Amazon USA is your friend. Still available at $60 from third party sellers. None of them ship to Japan, so I think I'll ship it to my forwarding company in the USA.

Still, it will take some time for it to become valuable. I am not sure how many copies they made of Cooking Mama, but I imagine it's way more than the 1000 copies of the US Vita HDN Re;Birth 1 LE. The rarest game that I know of that was available to the public is Darius Alpha, which only has 800 copies. Soldier Blade Special Caravan Stage might have less copies than that since it was only produced in extremely small numbers for events and it was never publicly released until the PC Engine mini last month, unlike Darius Alpha, which did get something of a public release, although you had to buy both Super Darius and Darius Plus and then enter a lottery to buy it/win it or something.

Speaking of Soldier Blade Special Caravan Stage... is this version of the game any different than the one in the normal game, or is it just the same with the normal part of the game removed?