IGNORED

What do you like in Animal Crossing series?

Serguei2

Well...the two are totally different experiences. One has you is where you capture, train and battle animal-like creatures while the other has you interact, trade and live with animal-like creatures.

I like the relaxed nature of the series. I started with the GC version, which originally was for my first wife. She played the heck out of it while on medical leave for a kidney stone. We moved on to Wild World, which I myself have been playing off and on for almost 14 years. That was and is still great fun, especially with my kids.

City Folk was a downer for me. It felt like a step back from Wild World. The online voice chat was neat but I didn't get far with it, preferring Wild World. I still have it but haven't touched it in years.

New Leaf has been a weird relationship. I enjoy the game but don't really want to be Mayor.  To get more stuff, you need to do Public Works (special locations, bridges, etc.), which take bells. If you play the game yourself, the animals barely pay anything for a project. This forces you to pony up bells to get thibgs done, on top of paying off/upgrading your house. However, as I read online, there's cool stuff to be had. So now I'm on a kick again trying to get the museum shop so I can get Brewster's Cafe.

It's a bit of work and patience but it's zen if you let it be. Wild World was my insomnia cure years back. Not because it was boring but because it was relaxing.

On 4/20/2020 at 3:24 PM, Gamemoose said:

New Leaf has been a weird relationship. I enjoy the game but don't really want to be Mayor.  To get more stuff, you need to do Public Works (special locations, bridges, etc.), which take bells. If you play the game yourself, the animals barely pay anything for a project. This forces you to pony up bells to get thibgs done, on top of paying off/upgrading your house. However, as I read online, there's cool stuff to be had. So now I'm on a kick again trying to get the museum shop so I can get Brewster's Cafe.

If you didn't like the idea of being mayor in New Leaf, then you might like how New Horizons is on the Switch. You aren't the mayor exactly, but you are what is known as First Island Resident. Because of that you have the power to decide when pretty much all the upgrades occur. Some of the upgrade require you to find and get resources like Iron, wood..etc plus the bells for them to happen. Additionally you decide on the placement of the townies houses as well. After that, all island upkeep and island design rests....with you.

From what my wife and I have played of Horizons (And it has been quite a bit as my wife has well over 145hours in the game already). The animal townies contribute zilch to the costs of any of the projects. If they do, we likely weren't patient enough to wait since we usually ran around doing what was needed and paid off such upgrades within a day or two.

• Like 1

my wife and i probably have 400 combined hours on Animal Crossing since release- so I'll stop for a moment and sob.

she likes that it's a self-contained environment and there's always something for her to do.  without going into a whole lot, she was already 'shelter at home' prior to all the nonsense going on in the world due to disability; she's not able to be as active as she would like.  this game is absolutely fantastic as a distraction for her.  i love hearing her talk about the stuff going on in the game because she gets excited about it.

for me, it's what i would call a 'chill game', so to speak.  i load up my island, bum around, maybe plant some flowers, BS with the villagers, catch a few fish, that sort of thing.  I'm slowly 'progressing', but i get to model it however i see fit.

overall, i think the appeal is that you do as much or as little as you see fit in the game.

My wife and I both tried this game on the GameCube because of the very active fanbase and relatively high critical reviews.  Neither of us really "got" it.  I don't think we were interested at all in the real world time aspect of the game.  We'd turn it off and then just never go back unless we were very deliberate about it.  Ultimately, making wallpaper for your fake house and then waiting 20 hours to buy something else for that fake house didn't appeal to me.  I've never gone back.  I will give it this though - I've played it longer than any Pokemon game.

Overall, I'd much rather just wander around Skyrim if I want to be in a VG world and decorate my own house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

If you didn't like the idea of being mayor in New Leaf, then you might like how New Horizons is on the Switch. You aren't the mayor exactly, but you are what is known as First Island Resident. Because of that you have the power to decide when pretty much all the upgrades occur. Some of the upgrade require you to find and get resources like Iron, wood..etc plus the bells for them to happen. Additionally you decide on the placement of the townies houses as well. After that, all island upkeep and island design rests....with you.

From what my wife and I have played of Horizons (And it has been quite a bit as my wife has well over 145hours in the game already). The animal townies contribute zilch to the costs of any of the projects. If they do, we likely weren't patient enough to wait since we usually ran around doing what was needed and paid off such upgrades within a day or two.

I don't plan on buying a Switch as I probably won't get to play on it as much as I'd like. And the wife would shoot me. It sounds cool, though.

I discovered some of the extras in New Leaf that are giving me more purpose. I didn't know about those little achievement things in your inventory that net you tickets. I started doing those and had a great time. The last one I did was to get a souvenier from the island. I went there and found a diving suit for sale! I did up a couple hammer tours and went home with my skin-tight prize.

I guess what makes AC so neat  is probably what hooks people into Minecraft. I am down with doing up my virtual house, getting certain themed rooms and such. It's truly "my space", which is more of a premium in my new real life than in my old. I like the characters as their responses are very much an older lingo, like out of the 90's I wanna say. It's like digdugnate said: it's a chilling game that gives you a relaxed virtual life.

Just sucks I can't raise taxes in New Leaf...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamemoose said:

I don't plan on buying a Switch as I probably won't get to play on it as much as I'd like. And the wife would shoot me. It sounds cool, though.

I discovered some of the extras in New Leaf that are giving me more purpose. I didn't know about those little achievement things in your inventory that net you tickets. I started doing those and had a great time. The last one I did was to get a souvenier from the island. I went there and found a diving suit for sale! I did up a couple hammer tours and went home with my skin-tight prize.

I guess what makes AC so neat  is probably what hooks people into Minecraft. I am down with doing up my virtual house, getting certain themed rooms and such. It's truly "my space", which is more of a premium in my new real life than in my old. I like the characters as their responses are very much an older lingo, like out of the 90's I wanna say. It's like digdugnate said: it's a chilling game that gives you a relaxed virtual life.

Just sucks I can't raise taxes in New Leaf...

Well..and you know once again my damn mind was thinking faster than my fingers could type. What I meant to say was that if you didn't like the idea of being mayor in New Leaf, then you WON'T like how New Horizons works because again you are tasked with having to do a whole lot more this time around. Although the biggest hook for me and my wife with this game is all the different townies that come and go, and especially all the different things you can buy or find that look good. With Horizon's these items can also now be placed around the island itself outside so you aren't just customizing the look of your home anymore but the entire island as well.

They also added a crafting mechanic in this new game. So you have to have resources and certain items in order to make some of the other items in the game. Unless they are given to you, but still, most things require getting the recipe for the item in order to make the item.

• Like 1