IGNORED

Sum USB adapter on a hub?

Smokeless Joe

I just got my first Amiga; an A1200!  Woo!

I bought the Sum USB adapter (http://amigaonthelake.com/the-sum-a1200-keyboard-adapter/) and it works great when the keyboard is directly plugged in.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work at all when I have the keyboard plugged into a hub/switch.  

My setup is an IOGear GUS404 (4x4 USB switch) that has an Apple m7803 keyboard connected.  The USB switch is plugged into an Apple IIgs and a Mac Quadra 840av using a Wombat USB adapter.  Both of these computers work fine with this setup.

Plugging the Apple m7803 keyboard directly into the Sum works great (caps lock lights up, keys all seem to match, control + L-command + R-command does a reset), but plugging the keyboard into the switch and the switch into the Sum does not work.

I've verified that I have the switch set to the right output.  I also tried plugging in a 5V mini USB power adapter into the USB switch (no effect).

Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

-Joe

Hmmm, unfortunately adaptors like Sum and Rys don't fully implement a complete USB stack in the same way a major OS would do. This means that shortcuts are taken which can reduce compatibility with devices that don't 100% respect the standards. My suspicion is that the Sum doesn't support traversing hubs, and that the switch works by pretending to be a different type of keyboard and retransmitting keycodes, rather than simply pretending the keyboard is unplugged and plugged in again. And it's this virtual keyboard (perhaps also a virtual hub) that the Sum simply doesn't understand. You could always contact the developers with your details and see if they're interested it updating the firmware to work. AFAIK they're still pretty well supported.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:21 AM, Daedalus2097 said:

Hmmm, unfortunately adaptors like Sum and Rys don't fully implement a complete USB stack in the same way a major OS would do. This means that shortcuts are taken which can reduce compatibility with devices that don't 100% respect the standards. My suspicion is that the Sum doesn't support traversing hubs, and that the switch works by pretending to be a different type of keyboard and retransmitting keycodes, rather than simply pretending the keyboard is unplugged and plugged in again. And it's this virtual keyboard (perhaps also a virtual hub) that the Sum simply doesn't understand. You could always contact the developers with your details and see if they're interested it updating the firmware to work. AFAIK they're still pretty well supported.

I tested a lot of different keyboards with my Sum on my A4000, and most of them didn't work, so there is that...

Edited by leech

• 4 weeks later...