IGNORED

Noob seeking advice

2600Ibarelyknewher

I’m looking to replace the capacitors on two Sega game gears I own. Both are VA5-837-10766 motherboards, I have compiled a list of parts from mouser to complete the task. I’m no expert but this is what I have compiled from mousers website.

https://www.mouser.ca/Cart/

Let me know your thoughts, it seems like they all should be right for fitment on the board and the ratings of the capacitors themselves.

Edited by 2600Ibarelyknewher

36 minutes ago, 2600Ibarelyknewher said:

I’m looking to replace the capacitors on two Sega game gears I own. Both are VA5-837-10766 motherboards, I have compiled a list of parts from mouser to complete the task. I’m no expert but this is what I have compiled from mousers website.

https://www.mouser.ca/Cart/

Let me know your thoughts, it seems like they all should be right for fitment on the board and the ratings of the capacitors themselves.

That link will only show you your cart, no one else can see it.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Anything wrong with just getting these?

https://console5.com/store/game-gear-cap-kit-va5-majesco-1-71-7923a.html

I just didn’t think doing this from off the shelf capacitors would be so difficult, I’m just having  a hard time making sure the sizing is correct. I don’t think the game gear requires high ESR caps or anything special in that regard. 

4 hours ago, 2600Ibarelyknewher said:

That would cost much more 40 as opposed to 26 from mouser. Its also in Canada so I won’t have issues with shipping via cross boarder at the current time. 

How so? You stated you had 2 GGs to cap. The caps from Console5 are $7 each. So that is only $14 for the two kits. Now there is shipping ontop of that of course so are you saying it would cost $26 to ship those two caps to you to Canada?

22 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

How so? You stated you had 2 GGs to cap. The caps from Console5 are $7 each. So that is only $14 for the two kits. Now there is shipping ontop of that of course so are you saying it would cost $26 to ship those two caps to you to Canada?

Sorry I forgot to mention the conversion into Canadian dollars so for two kits from console5 it’s 40 CAD approx. includes shipping. Mouser will cost approx 19-26 CAD depending on the brands you get also including shipping. 

The main issue sourcing them as you stated is making sure you find caps that not only match the required values, but are also of the correct size to fit inside the case. 

But since I'm in the states, yes I just order up cap kits from Console5 and be done with it. With the exception of a few times, all the caps I needed were in the kits, can be made to fit, and are of very good quality. The only time the kits didn't have what I needed is when I end up with a variant of a console that isn't listed or known yet that has different values than the usual.

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

The main issue sourcing them as you stated is making sure you find caps that not only match the required values, but are also of the correct size to fit inside the case. 

But since I'm in the states, yes I just order up cap kits from Console5 and be done with it. With the exception of a few times, all the caps I needed were in the kits, can be made to fit, and are of very good quality. The only time the kits didn't have what I needed is when I end up with a variant of a console that isn't listed or known yet that has different values than the usual.

I would go that route but the shipping is killer..... I figure I can make it work and if one or two are too big I can go to a local shop to replace those particular ones. It’s a risk, but I’ve seen other lists from mouser for game gears. I also just assumed it would generic caps since it’s a kit but could possibly be Panasonic  or Nichicon. Projects like this arnt nearly as cheap or easy in Canada. Try finding a real Atari 2600 switch in Canada.....?

Edited by 2600Ibarelyknewher