IGNORED

vcs reset lever + gamecode question

chewy

i have a non scientific style question: when resetting a game, why do some games CONTINUE playing the music from before you slam the reset switch..........even AFTER you slam it for a brandnew game-- playing dataage airlock right now and it does that- another one is coleco "front line".....is it like already send the vcs the instruction to play audio even though you already slammed the reset lever?   thx!!!!

It comes down to how the games are programmed. When you reset the console, the program goes back to the beginning, but the memory (RAM) is not erased, so games get to choose whether they're gonna keep any of the state from the previous play session. By design or by mistake, a game may end up not resetting the variables involved in playing music.

• Thanks 1

Also if you meant the physical reset button on the console (instead of resetting by turning the console off and back on), this is just a regular button. The Atari does not know how to 'reset', the programmer needs to check for a press and release of the button and program the reset manually. In UT2600 the reset button takes you back to the main menu, it does not reset the game.

I also use the content of the RAM before I clear it to seed my pseudo random number generator.

Edited by MLdB
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MLdB said:

this is just a regular button.

To illustrate this, I once made a tiny sound application and was in need for additional controls for the volume – and used the select and reset button for this. (After all, these are nice, non-latching buttons, side by side, facing the user.) There is really nothing special about the console buttons, they have no immediate effect on the hardware, other than that the state of the button is stored in register SWCHB of the RIOT chip, where a program can read them. The meaning of these buttons is also just by convention, as indicated by the imprint. (However, there's nothing stopping you from abusing them for other purposes.)

Usually, a program checks the state of the reset button once per frame and takes a jump to the initialization routine (the cheapest option), if the button is found pressed. However, the program may also choose to continue at any other point, e.g., a bit further "down" in the code, where the counter for the music has already been set up, meaning, the music will continue to play seamlessly.

Edited by NoLand
  • Thanks 1

Basically, none of the switches on the 2600 other than the power switch have a hardwired function, they just do whatever the game program tells them to do. That's how some games can use the color/B&W switch to pause, or games like Space Shuttle can use the switches for various in-game functions. If the code the game goes to when the reset switch is pressed doesn't include the instruction to go to the beginning of the music, then the music will keep playing from the same place.

• Thanks 1