IGNORED

Local Hero!

satyrsfaction

Here's my new game called Local Hero -- I always wanted to make a game where you can create your own superhero, and this is my attempt. In this update (the second update today), I added tons of new costumes, for a total of 40, and fixed some bugs that were present in the first update. 

Just to offer some explanation: when you start, you'll have to select your powers. you have four choices in each of the three categories (offense, defense and misc.). after that you get to select a costume. right now there are 30 costumes to choose from. once you're  done creating your hero you are taken to the map section of the screen. move around looking for crimes (the Xs), people in distress (the !s) and clues (the magnifying glasses). You need to collect clues in order to move further in the game, face more and more powerful threats, and eventually face the scarlet-robed boss villains. When you find a person in distress, you'll be taken to the other half of the screen and you will move through the doors until you find the person. when you rescue the person, you are healed slightly. When you find crimes, you will be taken to the right half of the screen again, this time there will be enemies to face using whatever powers you selected. the powers are as follows:

ATTACK POWERS

Blast: you shoot an energy blast to attack.

Strong: you charge your opponent for a powerful hand-to-hand attack.

Snare: you stretch your arms or shoot webs to trap your opponent. they will either eventually escape or exhaust themselves trying.

Clone: you can create a clone of yourself which you can control, and which attacks any criminal it collides with.

DEFENSE POWERS

Armor: attacks do much less damage to you.

Speed: you move faster in combat, making it easier to dodge attacks.

Cloak: when you stand at the top of the combat area, the enemies won't see you and won't shoot.

Dazzle: you confuse your enemies by some means, causing them to move slower and shoot less often, and sometimes even shoot each other.

MISC. POWERS

Fly: on the map area, you move faster and move over buildings unobstructed.

Sense: you find crimes, clues, and distress more easily (from further away).

Heal: you slowly gain back lost health.

Shift: you can change your shape -- during the game you can select what power you want to use, but only one power at a time. Attacks also do less damage to you.

(When you chose shift, whatever powers you chose for attack and defense are cancelled out, you can choose only what is available for the Shift power.)

Thats it. Enjoy! Let me know about any bugs or suggestions you may have. Thanks.

local_hero_4:28:20.bas.bin

Edited by satyrsfaction
new update
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

When you try to select the costume, the joystick doesn't let you stop where you want. I think it needs debounce added to it.

Thats a good point. Ive been testing it on an emulator, and the keys make it easier to move through the costumes slower. Does anyone have any pointers on how to debounce the joystick?

I really like what you've got going here.  I love how you can choose from different color pallets (costumes) so it can be a super hero game someone always wanted, but never got.  Batman for atari... an alternate Superman... ever wanted Aquaman?, well you've got him... Flash Gordon, Wonder Woman, the long lost Incredible Hulk game.  So many options.  Just awesome.

Anyway, only 2 things come to mind right now to change.  One is the attack sound.  The "chirp" doesn't really sound like an attack.  I wonder also, do the playfield and background colors ever change?  You said clues lead to stronger enemies.  Maybe another option could be to either let the player choose from a couple of environment color options, (say, if we would prefer gray buildings and gray streets, or browns, etc.).  That could give another level of tayloring the game to whatever superhero we want to imagine playing as.  Aqua colors would be great to imagine playing underwater with Aquaman.  Maybe brown and green for dirt and trees as an option.  Maybe dark gray and some other color of gray or dark blue for Gotham, etc.  Just brainstorming here.

1 hour ago, satyrsfaction said:

can that be done with the joystick movement instead of the fire button? How would I do that?

Yeah exactly the same just change out joy0fire for joy0right or whatever direction you want. Basically all it does is flips a bit depending on what state that input is in (0 or 1).  The if statements just skip the input codeblock until its in an off state again

Edited by TwentySixHundred

54 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

I really like what you've got going here.  I love how you can choose from different color pallets (costumes) so it can be a super hero game someone always wanted, but never got.  Batman for atari... an alternate Superman... ever wanted Aquaman?, well you've got him... Flash Gordon, Wonder Woman, the long lost Incredible Hulk game.  So many options.  Just awesome.

Anyway, only 2 things come to mind right now to change.  One is the attack sound.  The "chirp" doesn't really sound like an attack.  I wonder also, do the playfield and background colors ever change?  You said clues lead to stronger enemies.  Maybe another option could be to either let the player choose from a couple of environment color options, (say, if we would prefer gray buildings and gray streets, or browns, etc.).  That could give another level of tayloring the game to whatever superhero we want to imagine playing as.  Aqua colors would be great to imagine playing underwater with Aquaman.  Maybe brown and green for dirt and trees as an option.  Maybe dark gray and some other color of gray or dark blue for Gotham, etc.  Just brainstorming here.

Thanks!! I like the idea of customizing the background colors. I never would have thought of that, but it could add a whole different atmosphere. As for the sound, I'll work on that. I'm still learning sound. haha.

I tried your game and the idea is really cool, but needs some debuging. I tried clone and I was pretty sure what will be the problems. :) Only the leftmost missile does damage and the clones are going out through the wall.

I think this is a disadvantege, because I get damage for sure, even if it's smaller than normal because one of the clones will be shot for sure. :) 

• Like 1

I'm thinking about changing "clone" entirely. It's too problematic. Maybe instead make it an attack that you can control -- like while you press the button you can move the clone around and it attacks whoever it touches, like a guided missile. If i do that I'll get rid of "drain" as an attack. Then I was thinking instead of "clone" in the Misc. category, come up with some other power -- maybe "shift" where you can change your form of attack or defense during the game. What do you guys think? I've also made a few little changes and bug fixes  here and there. For example, when you rescue the person in distress you get healed a little. It's too hard if you can't heal and don't have the heal power. Plus, it gives you a reason to want to rescue the person if you're not feeling heroic. :)

On 4/24/2020 at 8:25 PM, TwentySixHundred said:

Yeah exactly the same just change out joy0fire for joy0right or whatever direction you want. Basically all it does is flips a bit depending on what state that input is in (0 or 1).  The if statements just skip the input codeblock until its in an off state again

ok, what am I doing wrong....its still not working.

select4

if !joy0right then _Bit1_joy0right_Restrainer{1} = 0 : goto __Skip_Fire1
if _Bit1_joy0right_Restrainer{1} then goto __Skip_Fire1
_Bit1_joy0right_Restrainer{1} = 1 : t = t + 1 : gosub _sound2 bank6 : if t > 30 then t = 1
__Skip_Fire1

if !joy0left then _Bit1_joy0left_Restrainer{1} = 0 : goto __Skip_Fire2
if _Bit1_joy0left_Restrainer{1} then goto __Skip_Fire2
_Bit1_joy0left_Restrainer{1} = 1 : t = t - 1 : gosub _sound2 bank6 : if t > 200 then t = 30
__Skip_Fire2

if joy0fire && t > 0 then gosub _sound2 bank6 : goto done

goto costume bank5
costume_done

goto select4

done

Well without the source it's not so easy to see whats going on.

Something like this should give you an easier guide to see how restrainers work and is similar to what i used with City Defence menu.

All you need to do is use additional bits for the tracking of various options

MENULOOP

; jumps to game
 if joy0fire then goto GAME

; restrainer function (skps inputs)
 if menurestrainer{0} && joy0left then goto MENUDRAW
 if menurestrainer{1} && joy0right then goto MENUDRAW

; resets bits ready for next input
 if !joy0left then menurestrainer{0} = 0
 if !joy0right then menurestrainer{1} = 0

; checks if bits are in off state and input detected - if so then flips those bits on
 if !menurestrainer{0} && joy0left then menurestrainer{0} = 1
 if !menurestrainer{1} && joy0right then menurestrainer{1} = 1

; for joy0left input conditions
 if menurestrainer{0} then goto NEXT1

; for joy0right input conditions
 if menurestrainer{1} then goto NEXT2

MENUDRAW
 ; screen setup
 DF0FRACINC = 128 : DF1FRACINC = 128 : DF2FRACINC = 128 : DF3FRACINC = 128
 DF4FRACINC = 255 : DF6FRACINC = 255
 drawscreen
 goto MENULOOP

rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEXT1

blah
 blah
 stuff for player

goto MENUDRAW

NEXT2

blah
 blah
 stuff for player

goto MENUDRAW

• Like 1