IGNORED

modern TV LED that works with NTSC

AtariNostalgia

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my Sony in the game room doesn't work right with PAL. Only gives a black n white image on both composite and RF. The Samsung I had before that didn't even show a picture when using PAL signals on it. My small Sony PVM on the bench on the other hand has NO issues showing both NTSC and PAL which is to be expected for an old broadcast CRT monitor.

I have a cheap $99 Target special Polaroid TV that does fine, but my previous Sony Bravia could not. It was the 50Hz signal it couldn't do. Sadly these manufacturers never advertise whether it could or could not handle the frequency.... probably due to the fact that the average NTSC consumer is not going to care about that and it will probably confuse them anyway. 

Exactly. My older CRTs could handle it but it would scroll of course. But yeah the Samsung I had would just show a message about an unsupported signal, the Bravia just shows a black and white picture though it is steady. Oddly enough I just checked with my small little 19inc Insignia branded LCD I bought like 7 years ago or something and that can handle PAL without issue? Good thing I have that on my bench along with my PVM but until this tread I hadn't actually tested it with a PAL device. Seems odd that these cheap or no brand TVs seem to support both standards out of the box while higher end displays are only NTSC, at least here where I live or has been my experience at least?

I think the real “trick” for modern flat panels is whether their display driver electronics can handle multiple refresh rates, or alternately if they have some type of pull-down processing to account for frame rate differences. My game room “big TV” is a middle-of-the-road 2013 Samsung LED. That TV is basically 120 Hz/60 fps or bust. The display driver is locked at 60 fps with no internal pull-down or compensation for other frame rates or refresh cycles on the inputs. It does have rudimentary analog composite input, along with component, so it can handle 30 fps (29.97 NTSC) but that is the only exception.

By contrast, our downstairs TV is a 2018 higher-end Samsung QLED HDR 4K display. Its display driver can natively accept 60 Hz, 50 Hz, 30 Hz, and 24 Hz (film frame rate, with no pull-down necessary). I don’t have any PAL systems to test with, but I’m pretty sure it will have no problems showing a picture - I don’t know if the colors would be correct but I’d like to try it and see. :) 

Interestingly, at least some BBC America content on Apple TV is available in native 50 Hz - on the older TV upstairs, there’s visible judder in horizontal panning as the Apple TV output has to try to compensate for the 60 Hz of the TV. On the newer TV downstairs, that image is silky smooth with no visible judder at all.