IGNORED

Rf demodulator question.

envytomdead2

Is there any difference in quality between using a vcr or a stand alone demodulator like this ?

A reviewer specifically mentions using it for a 7800. Currently if I play my 7800 on a flat screen I do a vcr to a RetroTink which looks a little muddy and fuzzy. The stand alone looks pretty expensive $90 with shipping. I have two vcrs if they are all pretty much the same I don't want to spend the cash 

I don’t think that’s going to make much difference. The 7800’s RF is typically pretty bad, really. Since you’re not averse to spending money (e.g., the RetroTink), buy a UAV board and do at least a composite mod to it, if not S-video. Or if you can’t do it yourself, find someone who can.

This is my UAV-modded 7800 connected via Composite through my RetroTink 2X-Pro to a 65” Samsung LED (the recent homebrew RIKKI & VIKKI):

DF954D16-8D9C-4985-82BA-C12117C13D1C.jpeg

795A58E9-C268-432A-8F22-F8CFDB2F3BF2.jpeg

5 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I don’t think that’s going to make much difference. The 7800’s RF is typically pretty bad, really. Since you’re not averse to spending money (e.g., the RetroTink), buy a UAV board and do at least a composite mod to it, if not S-video. Or if you can’t do it yourself, find someone who can.

This is my UAV-modded 7800 connected via Composite through my RetroTink 2X-Pro to a 65” Samsung LED (the recent homebrew RIKKI & VIKKI):

DF954D16-8D9C-4985-82BA-C12117C13D1C.jpeg

795A58E9-C268-432A-8F22-F8CFDB2F3BF2.jpeg

I have thought about getting it modded but every time I'd say I'm going to get it modded, I'd read about an issue someone had after getting a 7800 console modded. Have you had any issues?

11 minutes ago, envytomdead2 said:

I have thought about getting it modded but every time I'd say I'm going to get it modded, I'd read about an issue someone had after getting a 7800 console modded. Have you had any issues?

Nope. I did the work myself, but I'm not a rookie with vintage console mods either. I also used the UAV board for the mod, the current version of which has specific provisions for use in a 7800. It's not some generic composite mod board.

If you can do the work yourself it's not too difficult but there are a number of wires to solder, jacks to mount, etc. If you don't work yourself, I know  @-^CrossBow^- does a lot of 7800 mods. He might be able to help you out.