IGNORED

Legends Flashback Deluxe mod...help!

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I used to play .roms on my laptop all the time, but not for easily 8-10 years.

Now, I've got an autistic 5 year old, and I picked him up an atgames Legends Flashback Deluxe with the SD slot. I figured it would be a cheap jumping off point for him and video games. He really likes the games, and I want to add .roms to it to expand the collection to include: NES, SNES, Genesis, Arcade, and POSSIBLY Dreamcast/N64/PS1. Don't know if this system can handle the last ones, but I'm assuming from what I'm reading the 16 bit games shouldn't be an issue.

Now, I've done a lot of reading, and frankly, I've seen a lot of conflicting information! Some say you have to update the firmware, some sites say if I update the firmware that some games won't work! 

Can anyone help me? I just want a simple 1. 2. 3. plus these types of files WILL work, these types of files WONT work, and also any good sources for the roms. I've been using romsdownload.com for games, but I have no clue yet if they will work or not as of yet.

Please help me! He's really eager to play Ghostbusters (I tried to warn him!)

don't update the firmware. it will reverse the a and b buttons on Nintendo games and you wont be able to reset them, or flash back to stock.

you don't have to update to play roms.

up to 32gb sd card

Atari 2600 (.a26) deluxe version only
nes (.dat)

genesis (.bin)

sega cd (.bin + .cue + BIOS files)

snes (.fig)

hope you and your boy have fun! need any help,  just message me.

Edited by Draxxon

• 1 month later...

Do other DSP-1 games like Pilotwings work?

Sometimes you have to supply a DSP-1 bios file. I believe the SD2SNES multicart for the SNES is one such example where DSP-1 games won't work without that bios being supplied by the user, just for an illustration. The bios is technically still copyrighted where as the physical side of the SNES was protected by patents that are now expired, so some emulators force you to supply this file yourself to stay legal.

If other DSP-1 games also refuse to work yet the emulator supports enhancement chip games like the Super FX in Star Fox, I bet you just need to supply that bios file by putting it on your SD card. The DSP bios files are typically included in SNES rom sets and the file you need will be named something like 'DSP1.bin'.

If I'm onto something here, I assume you'd want to rename the bios extension to '.fig'.

Edited by Atariboy

16 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

...you have to supply a DSP-1 bios file.

You are 100% correct. Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings do not work. The need the BIOS (DSP-1).

However, where do I find the correct DSP?

And how do I get Flashback to read the BIOS/DSP?

I did a search for info and files, and I have read various solutions and issues...

...some BIOS are old or incorrect, sometimes the BIOS needs to be appended to the ROM file itself, checksums need to match, sometimes it depends which emulator is being used, and sometimes the ending is .bin or .rom ... and I’m totally confused — and I haven’t gotten any to work.

I downloaded some DSPs and put them in the GAME folder on my Flashback... but I think something else needs to be done to get Super Mario Kart to work on FB.

You are correct it needs the DSP-1 / BIOS file... but...

Does anyone have the exact process, BIOS files, or appended ROM, etc. specifically for the AtGames FB 50/100?

Thanks for the assistance.

(I’m sure other people would LOVE to play Super Mario Kart on their FBs!)

It's just a simple rom dump, so I doubt it has ever changed. And I've never heard of it being appended to the rom file itself, so I really doubt the SNES emulator this thing uses requires that to be done. I imagine any DSP-1 bios file you find will do the trick and it shouldn't be difficult to locate one to download. 

As for naming it and where to place it, personally I'd first try it simply as dsp1.fig and toss it right in the same folder with your SNES roms. If that doesn't work, switch the file name back to dsp1.bin and try that. Nothing exotic had to be done with the Sega CD bios files on the original Legends Flashback to get it working, so I suspect the same goes for this.

Edited by Atariboy

7 hours ago, Atariboy said:

As for naming it and where to place it, personally I'd first try it simply as dsp1.fig and toss it right in the same folder with your SNES roms. If that doesn't work, switch the file name back to dsp1.bin and try that. Nothing exotic had to be done with the Sega CD bios files on the original Legends Flashback to get it working, so I suspect the same goes for this.

Sadly, I still can't get it to work. I tried dsp1.bin, .fig, and .rom ... and put it into the GAMES folder.

I also tried dsp1b. I also put every dsp and cx bios/chip rom I could find in.

No dice.

I also read where the DSP1 has to be split into "program" and "data" roms... and I don't know how to do that. (I have a Mac.)

I got the SEGA CD with BIOS and .cue, etc to work just fine.

But I can't GET Super Mario Kart and the dsp1 or dsp1b to work.

(I've been searching, reading, downloading, trying and testing for a few hours myself... without luck... and mostly just putting the dsp1 in the GAMES folder, etc. ...I haven't done anything overly complex.)

Maybe someone with an actual Flashback 50/100 ... someone smarter than me ... can try it, test it, and post results and the correct procedure... or if alas it won't work at all?

(Maybe the FB needs a different emulator core?)

...my childhood dreams await. Thank you.

Edited by Atari_User
more info

I also read where the DSP1 has to be split into "program" and "data" roms, and other complicated workarounds... and I don't know how to do any of that... or if it even needs to be done for FB. (I have a Mac, so many .exe apps do not work for me... and might not even apply to Flashback.)

http://helmet.kafuka.org/byuubackup2/viewtopic.php@f=8&t=2241.html

https://www.caitsith2.com/snes/dsp/

I know with the sega cd bios (.bin) and the neogeo bios (neogeo.zip) for FBA on CFW you don't rename the bios extension like you would the roms. Where is the SNES core "looking" for the bios at? in the same folder as the roms like with segacd and neogeo? or is it looking for the bios in a "system" folder that doesn't exist? like how dreamcast does on RA? When we swapped the genxplus core with the picodrive core I never could get 32x games to run because I had no where to place the bios files. rrifonas got them working, im not sure how.

Basically the core is looking for the specifically named bios somewhere specific. if you rename the bios, or its not in the specific place, it wont work in the case of the two I mentioned before.

Edited by Draxxon

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 10:31 AM, Draxxon said:

Just wondering ... I do not have the Deluxe version of the Legends Flashback and a26 files do not work even on the latest firmware upgrade. So I'm out of luck? I tried Nukey Shay's awesome River Raid hack which is a .bin file and I only renamed the .bin to .a26 but when the Flashback wouldn't load I thought maybe the .bin file was the problem. Is it actually limited to only the Deluxe console that can run these?

On 7/13/2020 at 8:32 PM, ComputerSpaceFan said:

Just wondering ... I do not have the Deluxe version of the Legends Flashback and a26 files do not work even on the latest firmware upgrade. So I'm out of luck? I tried Nukey Shay's awesome River Raid hack which is a .bin file and I only renamed the .bin to .a26 but when the Flashback wouldn't load I thought maybe the .bin file was the problem. Is it actually limited to only the Deluxe console that can run these?

Thought I would answer my own question. Definitely Deluxe only. I flashed my Atari Flashback X today and all the .bins that I have work totally fine if I rename them to .a26 and play them in the now-modded Flashback X. These same files still do NOT work in the AtGame Legends Flashback that I have so it's a Deluxe exclusive for sure. But heck I don't mind now, I have my Flashback X for 2600 games and I have the Legends Flashback for the NES, SNES, Genesis, and Sega CD goodness I want.

yeah, you got it. that's what I have, a hacked standard 2019 and a hacked standard AFBX. AFBX can use sticks and paddles. 

Legends tries to launch .bins and you get black screen because the sega emulator is trying to launch an Atari game. anything labeled as .bin will be opened with genplusgx by default. Which makes me think that Atari games MUST be .a26 extension on a deluxe model. (I don't have one.) It just makes all this more confusing when first figuring it all out. but yep, A2600 is Deluxe only, but you're better off going with an AFB9 or X for those games.

Edited by Draxxon

• 9 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 3:31 AM, Draxxon said:

don't update the firmware. it will reverse the a and b buttons on Nintendo games and you wont be able to reset them, or flash back to stock.

up to 32gb sd card

nes (.dat)

genesis (.bin)

snes (.fig)

On 5/11/2020 at 3:31 AM, Draxxon said:

up to 32gb sd card

nes (.dat)

genesis (.bin)

snes (.fig)

Hi I just bought the Legends flashback console with 100 games. When searching on YouTube people are saying you have to upgrade firmware to add rims to sd  card.  Is this incorrect? What steps do I need to take to add roms to the sd card? Eg create extra folders etc? 

8 hours ago, Draxxon said:

no you dont have to update to add games to the sd card. it will work out of the box. Youtube lied, reviewers are idiots.

make a folder named game

not GaMe not games ----- game

Sweet thanks for that. Can you add more data east arcade games such as night slashers? 

On 4/28/2021 at 2:17 AM, Draxxon said:

no you dont have to update to add games to the sd card. it will work out of the box. Youtube lied, reviewers are idiots.

make a folder named game

not GaMe not games ----- game

So I created the game folder and copied over a snes rom which was in .7z format and changed the extension to .fig it recognised the game in the sd card menu on the console but when. I try to open it I just get a black screen for a few seconds then it goes back to the console menu. Any ideas? 

Edited by Renmaster
Spelling

4 hours ago, Renmaster said:

So I created the game folder and copied over a snes rom which was in .7z format and changed the extension to .fig it recognised the game in the sd card menu on the console but when. I try to open it I just get a black screen for a few seconds then it goes back to the console menu. Any ideas? 

Never mind.  Figured it out. Had to remove the spaces from the file names 

• 4 weeks later...

First question for now:  Does anyone know if the Flashback Deluxe (100 games) will read and play Master System roms?

I'm going to be working on sorting out how to get some ROMs to run on my 100 games Flashback Deluxe this summer.  So far I've not been able to get it to recognize or play any ROMs that I have put on it. That's frustrating and I'm hoping one of these AA threads will help me sort it out.

So, second question: Do you have to do something special to get it to recognize .A26 roms?

And third and final question for now:
Can anyone point me to a good place to download roms that are formatted properly already?

Thanks!

yes you can play master system games. all the master system games with art have already been added to the add on pack.

there are 2 ways to get it to play .a26 roms (.a26 is on the deluxe version only.) you can flash the deluxe version to your standard and be missing the bonus games but have .a26 support, or you can flash custom firmware and run the add on pack.
Legends Flashback Ultimate (Community Project) - AtGames Flashback and Portable Consoles - AtariAge Forums

yes you can play master system games. all the master system games with art have already been added to the add on pack.

there are 2 ways to get it to play .a26 roms (.a26 is on the deluxe version only.) you can flash the deluxe version to your standard and be missing the bonus games but have .a26 support, or you can flash custom firmware and run the add on pack.
Legends Flashback Ultimate (Community Project) - AtGames Flashback and Portable Consoles - AtariAge Forums

P.S. I only posted that once. It took a super long time to post, and it auto posted twice. Just saying, it wasnt me.

Edited by Draxxon

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

i was curious on how to add box art to the roms playable from the SD card, i have tried naming a .png file the same as the .bin (genesis) file for a rom but that doesn't work.

just for kicks here is a link for downloading alot of roms:

https://archive.org/details/lufb-may-21-2022

they come with box art but I haven't been able to get the box art working with Legends Flashback Console

like i got the roms working just as long as they have no spaces.

again, i was just curious on how to add box art plz