IGNORED

BennVenn's ElCheapo Lynx SD Flash Cart

Igor

18 hours ago, 42bs said:

I added a reset to my Lynx, but the GD does not return to the menu. One needs a reset button at the card to clear the memory.

I thought the boot loader did this? Then I might be thinking that's what CC65 does actually...

14 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

WoooW that official box art and cart look pretty darn cool as well? 

Thank you! We'll do a Lynx SD one eventually too to complete the set, and maybe AgaCart if @rj1307 agrees to it ?

4 hours ago, Igor said:

I thought the boot loader did this? Then I might be thinking that's what CC65 does actually...

if @rj1307

I meant the RAM of the GD which holds the game. I have not tried to dig into the firmware, how it decides to present the menu or the game to the Lynx, but after a reset it is always the last ROM which starts.

BTW same with the Jaguar GD.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I got mine out boot.bin in rooot.

Powered on and got insert game until Lynx shut itself off. 

Retried. Same thing. 

Removed SD card. Blew out el cheapo with compressed air and reseated. 

Powered right up to menu. Disaster averted.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JagChris said:

I got mine out boot.bin in rooot.

Powered on and got insert game until Lynx shut itself off. 

Retried. Same thing. 

Removed SD card. Blew out el cheapo with compressed air and reseated. 

Powered right up to menu. Disaster averted.

Might need to add this to the troubleshooting guide! https://atarigamer.com/pages/elcheaposd-troubleshooting-guide

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered this a short while ago and it arrived much quicker than expected!  I've got it working fine on my Lynx, thanks for a great product!

I have most of the retail releases on the system (cart only mostly), but it's so nice not to have to fish around in my box O' lynx carts for whatever game I want to play. :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

I ordered this a short while ago and it arrived much quicker than expected!  I've got it working fine on my Lynx, thanks for a great product!

I have most of the retail releases on the system (cart only mostly), but it's so nice not to have to fish around in my box O' lynx carts for whatever game I want to play. :)

Glad it arrived quicker than expected! Sending from the city metro area usually means quicker deliveries when buying from our store. I keep meaning to fix some bugs in the ROM loader menu so keep an eye out on that in the future. Thanks for ordering!

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 2:33 AM, Igor said:

I've updated the Atari Gamer website to add some basic functionality for this. The following tools can be used:

The LNX2LYX tool can convert .o files to LNX, this is essentially the same code as on the Lynx SD. LYXCONV tool can be used to convert a LYX file to a 512KiB LNX ROM with a default header.

Hope this helps! I plan to expand on these tools later when I have more time ?

Quote me here and report any issues if you encounter any, but DM you me the ROM you're having issues with so I can test it out myself.

I haven't got the 2048 download ROM to work from atari gamer after repeated downloads so in desperation I've been trying this file here

And using your website to try to convert it to a LNX format. Following the instructions when it detects the object file and give me the option for 128, 256 and then 512 and what I wish to download clicking on any 3 of those produces nothing. No prompt to download as... Or any response. It's not putting anything in my download folder etc. 

Stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JagChris

On 5/22/2022 at 7:22 AM, JagChris said:

I haven't got the 2048 download ROM to work from atari gamer after repeated downloads so in desperation I've been trying this file here

And using your website to try to convert it to a LNX format. Following the instructions when it detects the object file and give me the option for 128, 256 and then 512 and what I wish to download clicking on any 3 of those produces nothing. No prompt to download as... Or any response. It's not putting anything in my download folder etc. 

Stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heya, that's my bad, looks like a bug in my code. I'll get it fixed and will let you know when it's working again.

2 minutes ago, JagChris said:

It worked. Converted to an 

Lyx file. Downloaded. 

Not sure what difference lyx and lnx are?

Great! LYX is a header-less version of LNX, the LNX file has a 64 byte header at the start that has information about the ROM, name, size, etc.

ElCheapoSD needs the LNX version, so you can convert your LYX to LNX and it should work on the ECSD.

It's been a long time coming but I'm just wrapping up the last bit of coding and testing/debugging.

The new firmware is a full rewrite and offers:

• Long file name support - ~50 chrs long. I'll need to add scrolling into my menu to give a full readout of the long file name but its done and working!
  • Last File Loaded - this is coded and works, I'll link it to the option button I think. Unless it should autoboot to last file loaded unless a button is pressed at power on?
  • Folder support - Supports up to 10 folders deep. Enter a folder by pressing A on it, go back on directory by pressing B. Pressing A on a ROM will launch it.
  • Save file support using the onboard EEPROM - but we can now emulate any size eeprom via our microcontroller in the cart. Let us know if a game uses an eeprom other than what is included in hardware and we'll try add support on the next update.
  • API access to read and write files on the SD, navigate folders, create new files (Via a modified version of Karri's EEPROM library)
  • Using this API access we can support loading images in the ROM menu - working out a good way to structure the files but as of right now it is supported, just not implemented in my menu.
  • This same API can be used in game to pull audio,graphics or code from a file on the SD. 
  • Not yet tested - the code is in place to modify the ROM using cheat/trainer codes before the game boots - allowing things like infinite lives etc... work to be done on this still.

After Atari Gamer tests the code and firmware update functions and we're both confident you won't end up with a bricked cart we'll release the update. We'll also release the lynx side source to improve upon my menu or see how the API calls work and use them in your game code. There's a pretty poorly shot video of the new menu in our discord.

Oh and incase AtariGamer didn't announce it earlier, the LynxSD cart is now $45!! We'll be getting limited stock over to VideoGamePerfection.com to make it easier to grab our cart if you reside in the EU.

Edited by BennVenn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2022 at 9:11 PM, BennVenn said:

• Save file support using the onboard EEPROM - but we can now emulate any size eeprom via our microcontroller in the cart. Let us know if a game uses an eeprom other than what is included in hardware and we'll try add support on the next update

Great stuff!

Right off the top we need whatever EEPROM Eye Of The Beholder is using emulated.

To make sure. When we have the file, which do we yank from the current SD card and put in its place. Making sure I do this right! Edit, just realized I'm not a discord and have no access anyways. But when I find the file I guess which do I remove and swap

Edited by UHATEIT

On 6/9/2022 at 7:27 AM, JagChris said:

Great stuff!

Right off the top we need whatever EEPROM Eye Of The Beholder is using emulated.

The original EOTB used a 16k read/write cart using strobe CART1 for saves. AUDIN was used as write signal. But the saves were written as to ram.

• Thanks 1