IGNORED

Raspberry Pi Amiga

I've had a passing interest in the RP over the past few years but never actually bought one because I couldn't think of any practical use for it; everything it was able to do that was relevant to me was already covered by something else.

Until now.  The Amiga has long been a source of frustration.  I have an A600 and about 40 disk games but I've found it very difficult to find a way to take the set-up to the next level.  An IDE/CF is inadequate without a hardware accelerator and they cost a fortune (if you're lucky enough to be able to get hold of one) and I don't like the idea of relegating the A600 to the role of host with a Vampire II.  I've spent many happy hours playing games with the A600 and I don't want to put an alien on its head (and, in any case, Vampire IIs don't grow on trees).

But, the Raspberry Pi does (or at least seems to) and thanks to a low spec OS called Amibian that focuses solely on running UAE you can pretty much emulate a fully specced out Amiga (Amiga OS 3.9, WHD Load, the whole shebang!).

My primary motivation for this is to run Amiga hard disk games like I do with the ST.  I have a 4MB STe permanently set up on my computer desk with a hard drive solution and all the games I want at the click of a mouse.  The ST may not have the custom graphics and sound of the Amiga but I've found it a lot more user-friendly over the years.

Is there anyone here who has done anything along these lines?

• Like 1

I know a couple of people who have set up Amibian and like it, one even in an A600 case which is an impressive little project. However, it's another step further away from the real thing than a Vampire is, so are you sure you won't be longing for the original hardware before too long? A CF by itself is pretty tight on a stock A600, that's true, but you don't need to go whole hog for an accelerator - a 4MB RAM expansion will let you deal with a CF card so long as you don't go nuts, and can be had for £40: https://www.amigapassion.co.uk/product/amiga-600-4mb-fastram/ Of course, an extra 1MB of chip RAM would be a good idea too...

To be fair, the Pi is incredible hardware for the price, so it's really not a huge deal to try it out. There are some nice mini-Amiga style 3D printable cases for the Pi available too, should you want to go that route.

1 hour ago, Daedalus2097 said:

I know a couple of people who have set up Amibian and like it, one even in an A600 case which is an impressive little project. However, it's another step further away from the real thing than a Vampire is, so are you sure you won't be longing for the original hardware before too long?

That's quite possible and it's good to know that there is an affordable upgrade path for the real hardware in the future but for now a Raspberry Pi fits a lot better into my existing set-up.  It's very difficult to serve two masters when it comes to the 16-Bit computers and the RP will fit very nicely into the spare HDMI port and take very little space on the desk.

I've taken the all-important first step and bought a RP3 B+ and downloaded Amibian.  My Amiga adventure beckons.  Thanks to both of you for your help.

23 hours ago, English Invader said:

Until now.  The Amiga has long been a source of frustration.  I have an A600 and about 40 disk games but I've found it very difficult to find a way to take the set-up to the next level.

I think this is true (or becoming true) for the many classic systems. Always seems something gets in the way. Or something creates a rabbit hole. An expensive rabbit hole. I didn't directly experience such situations directly with the Amiga because I'm doing emulation now which is a whole different animal as far as expandability goes. Emulation is superior in every way when it comes to file handling and storage devices. It's got a present-day full OS behind it. An OS that interfaces with cheap mass storage.

An IDE/CF is inadequate without a hardware accelerator and they cost a fortune (if you're lucky enough to be able to get hold of one) and I don't like the idea of relegating the A600 to the role of host with a Vampire II.  I've spent many happy hours playing games with the A600 and I don't want to put an alien on its head (and, in any case, Vampire IIs don't grow on trees).

Interfacing vintage IDE/CF is still expensive and boggy with details, yes. And no more evident is this than in the Apple II world. The CFFA adapters cost $500 or more on ebay AND consume a valuable expansion slot. Though there are more practical solutions that just connect to a standard controller card, thus saving a slot, like the offering from BMOW. But still that's $150.

As far as the Vampire goes. Yes. It basically shuts down your existing Amiga hardware and just uses I/O like keyboard and ports. This concept was also popular in the Apple II world with "accelerator cards". A complete computer on a card minus the final I/O.

Back in the day I always wanted one. Now? Not so much.

But, the Raspberry Pi does (or at least seems to) and thanks to a low spec OS called Amibian that focuses solely on running UAE you can pretty much emulate a fully specced out Amiga (Amiga OS 3.9, WHD Load, the whole shebang!).

Good stuff. Practical stuff.

As time goes on I'm more willing to let museums and collectors curate and preserve hardware. I've become more interested in enjoying the essence and atmosphere of the software that ran on the vintage beasts.

It begins with, say, Deluxe Paint. You can run it on the original A1000, then later the 500 and 2000. The hardware changes, the mood of the presence of the hardware changes. But the software experience remains the same. And it remains the same even in emulation.

Edited by Keatah