IGNORED

High Priced Halo 2600 eBay Auctions

sramirez2008

Wow...several high priced auctions for Halo 2600. Guess the sellers don't realize that a brand new copy can be purchased for $30 - $50 (lose cart vs. CIB) right here on AA?  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halo-Atari-2600-Collectors-box-Brand-New-Super-Rare/324159161334?hash=item4b796443f6:g:HisAAOSwB~ZetI1c

8 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Wow...several high priced auctions for Halo 2600. Guess the sellers don't realize that a brand new copy can be purchased for $30 - $50 (lose cart vs. CIB) right here on AA?  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Halo-Atari-2600-Collectors-box-Brand-New-Super-Rare/324159161334?hash=item4b796443f6:g:HisAAOSwB~ZetI1c

Oh, I think the sellers realize it.

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Should send the sellers a link to the game in the AA store and ask why their exact same copy is worth quintuple the retail price.

Yup, I did just that with the $165 listing. I also asked the sellers that include “Rare” in their listings to please remove that wording (also provided a link to The Store). I don’t expect to hear back from any of them or that they will amend their listings, but you never know.

2 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Yup, I did just that with the $165 listing. I also asked the sellers that include “Rare” in their listings to please remove that wording (also provided a link to The Store). I don’t expect to hear back from any of them or that they will amend their listings, but you never know.

I've heard back from various sellers who have done the same thing in the past. The few that do reply claim ignorance but the most of them explode in anger.

9 minutes ago, Shawn said:

They can try and sell whatever for however much they like. Ethics and commerce barely ever line up in reality. 

^^^ This.

A fool and his money will be parted - and that's always going to happen no matter what. It sucks and it's unethical and it's annoying to legitimate collectors or hobbyists, but the free market means....things sell for whatever a buyer is willing to pay. If someone is willing to sell to a reseller or buy from a shiller or any of the things perennially complained about in all aspects of hobbies, that's on them, and while I hope they learn their lesson, it's not my place to dictate the rules of the market (nor would I want to).

Crappy people do crappy things, and Atari is no exception. It sucks but it is what it is - and I'm just thankful we have a robust and free marketplace to find and exchange things.

Everyone complains about this stuff, yet nobody complains about the flea market vendor someone just bought an Air Raid for $5 from - that's a "great score," "congrats!," etc. It's two sides of the same coin and I'd be a hypocrite if I condemned one while applauding the other.

Just my unneeded and unwanted two pennies.

• Like 2

Pricing notwithstanding, it would seem deliberate misrepresentation of the value of an item is a fraud.  Such as in this case, where an item is listing for five times normal price and stated to be a rare item, when the identical item is not only available but available from its sole commercial source.

We know this fact and we would attempt to act as active participants of a free market by at least notifying potential buyers that this item is not rare and can, in fact, be obtained from its original commercial source for a reasonable price.  This is the necessary self-regulation of a free market, but eBay does not provide a way to do so.

That said, eBay does not provide a DIRECT way to do so, in that we as users cannot notify potential buyers in the selling side of eBay.  Forums do exist, and I have no idea what the rules are there: is a user allowed to post a note about shit sellers like this in the forums?  Another option would be for Atari Age to post Halo 2600 for sale, so that a similar search which turns up the misrepresented item will also turn up the authentic item.

1 hour ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

All I'll say is I'd love to see a lawsuit where someone alleged fraud over an Atari game because someone sold it for 5x, 6x what it was worth by puffery. I'm sure it would end well for the claimant.

A buyer would likely be expected to do his or her own due diligence before the purchase, but it will vary by state.  There are a few states which weigh heavily on the side of the consumer and will allow treble damages.  The better question is, who is going to test this?

I don't know if some sellers are just buying directly from the AA store to flip at inflated prices on Ebay, but it shouldn't be too difficult to get the seller's information (name, address, etc) and then block them from buying anything at all from AA. Cut off their access to what they're trying to profiteer from. One could even go a step further and intentionally buy the overpriced Ebay listings and do a punitive chargeback or a "not as described" claim. Give the flippers some serious pause about doing this in the future. Such actions are normally reprehensible but some of these Ebay sellers know exactly that what they're doing is wrong and that they're not adding any sort of value to justify charging several times the price of an item that still be purchased new from here.

• Like 1