IGNORED

Games, doodles and demos

Muddyfunster

A very short update on Danger Zone.

@Synthpopalooza has put together some fantastic tunes for Danger Zone and I wanted to share a snippet by way of a short update. 

Big thanks also to @Trebor for helping debug the tunes on real hardware and @mksmith for helping with the code to integrate them.

Oh and the title screen has had a bit of a clean up and a tweak.

Enjoy :)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks Matt, a lot of variation between the different emulators though. Would love to be able to do my own testing, a 7800 Everdrive type solution can't come quick enough!

See if @Trebor might be able to give you a hand with some of the pitfalls there. Robert did a great job helping to sort the colors in Millie and Molly.  There are certain ranges you should avoid from memory ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks Matt, a lot of variation between the different emulators though. Would love to be able to do my own testing, a 7800 Everdrive type solution can't come quick enough!

Yes.  The top Gun theme plays 100% on Prosystem,  whereas you must use A7800 to get 100% playback of Danger Zone.  It's because of the strange settings I am using.

All of this had to be cross-developed using Altirra, an Atari XL/XE emulator that features 99 and 44/100% accurate POKEY emulation.  We will get there eventually.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Some doodles I put together while having a few hours off from my main projects. 

A reworked Ikari Warriors title screen, converted from the reworked Amstrac CPC version (not the original) and the Gods title screen from the ST version.

Enjoy :)

ikari.bas.a78 GODS.bas.a78

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, Zonie said:

Wow Great stuff. I really Like the Danger Zone game. Reminds me of the hours of fun with Atari 2600 combat with the fighter jets. Have you planned on getting a Concerto to test with?

Thanks @Zonie.

Yes I've tested Danger Zone with the concerto and the Dragonfly (I was lucky to get both but have since let my Concerto go). It runs great on real hardware and is currently having some final tweaks done to the collision offsets and then it's basically done.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks @Zonie.

Yes I've tested Danger Zone with the concerto and the Dragonfly (I was lucky to get both but have since let my Concerto go). It runs great on real hardware and is currently having some final tweaks done to the collision offsets and then it's basically done.

I can't wait to get my multicarts so I can finally hear some of these amazing HB's in glorious POKEY. I've only been listening to the TIA sounds.  

Edited by sramirez2008
Spelling
  • Like 3

On 12/12/2020 at 10:49 PM, sramirez2008 said:

I can't wait to get my multicarts so I can finally hear some of these amazing HB's in glorious POKEY. I've only been listening to the TIA sounds.  

@sramirez2008 Hearing Commando on Pokey for the first time on the concerto was lovely, but then hearing some of the advanced POKEY demos on Concerto and then some of the XM stuff via Dragonfly, really took that to the next level. PacMan XM absolutely nails it sonically in my humble opinion and @Synthpopalooza's rendition of Zanac on the XM is fantastic (- and of course @RevEng's programming wizardry).

I'll try to get a decent vid of Zanac but I don't have any proper capture hardware other than my phone.

[edit]

Actually someone already made a vid of it. Short but well worth a look. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Jinks said:

Please finish Track and Field!!

Or whatever other cool things your doing!

:)

:D

I will @Jinks!

• Danger Zone is 99.9% done and is just having some final polish
  • EXO is 50% done and I plan to drop a new demo over the holidays. I really need to stop adding features, scope creep is my worst enemy here.
  • Track and Field - based on what I have learned over the last 7 months, I've taken that all the way back to the metal and started again and the project is much better for it, faster, more efficient and Bobby is doing the Pokey Tunes at some point :) . No demo yet.

I do have a bunch of other embryonic projects and I'll share more on those over the holidays maybe. I don't want to be too pre-emptive just incase I abandon them. Project #6 though is looking good. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I will @Jinks!

• Danger Zone is 99.9% done and is just having some final polish
  • EXO is 50% done and I plan to drop a new demo over the holidays. I really need to stop adding features, scope creep is my worst enemy here.
  • Track and Field - based on what I have learned over the last 7 months, I've taken that all the way back to the metal and started again and the project is much better for it, faster, more efficient and Bobby is doing the Pokey Tunes at some point :) . No demo yet.

I do have a bunch of other embryonic projects and I'll share more on those over the holidays maybe. I don't want to be too pre-emptive just incase I abandon them. Project #6 though is looking good. 

The elves must be busy at the Muddyfunster factory.?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

@sramirez2008 Hearing Commando on Pokey for the first time on the concerto was lovely, but then hearing some of the advanced POKEY demos on Concerto and then some of the XM stuff via Dragonfly, really took that to the next level. PacMan XM absolutely nails it sonically in my humble opinion and @Synthpopalooza's rendition of Zanac on the XM is fantastic (- and of course @RevEng's programming wizardry).

I'll try to get a decent vid of Zanac but I don't have any proper capture hardware other than my phone.

[edit]

Actually someone already made a vid of it. Short but well worth a look. 

This is using the 8 channels of the YM.

I presume you could also use the 2 channels of the TIA and 4 of POKEY, to get a 14 audio channel totally over the top demo?

Has anyone tried that?

6 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

This is using the 8 channels of the YM.

I presume you could also use the 2 channels of the TIA and 4 of POKEY, to get a 14 audio channel totally over the top demo?

Has anyone tried that?

That would be quite insane and very cool. Something for @Synthpopalooza musical craziness maybe. Not even sure if it's possible.

20 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

That would be quite insane and very cool. Something for @Synthpopalooza musical craziness maybe. Not even sure if it's possible.

If 7800 BASIC supports all 3 chips, should be possible to at least code something up to prove it can be done. Actually finding a good use for 14 channels is another matter though!

Related, if 7800 BASIC supports the YM, it would be useful to know if it supports runtime/dynamic stereo panning of same.

50 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

Related, if 7800 BASIC supports the YM, it would be useful to know if it supports runtime/dynamic stereo panning of same.

No, it encodes with default center-pan. The XM (and no doubt dragonfly) only have access to the mono on-cart audio line.

53 minutes ago, RevEng said:

No, it encodes with default center-pan. The XM (and no doubt dragonfly) only have access to the mono on-cart audio line.

OK, that isn't too surprising. However one last thought? Would it be possible to set the panning anyway? In which case it would still come out mono from XM or Dragonfly, but would open the possibility for it to be stereo for emulators (which is where I'm coming from). If the answer for that is no, then it would still be possible for there to be an extended API supported for emulators. The XXM? ;-) In the absence of dynamic panning support, we can still simulate stereo in emulation, but having it under program control opens up richer possibilities.