IGNORED

Games, doodles and demos

Muddyfunster

7 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I had bit of free time to experiment this evening and I got to thinking a bit about Shadow of the Beast and the cracking 4k demake on the 2600, Soul of the Beast. I wondered how close to the ST version the 7800 would be able to get if someone wanted to do an adaptation.

This is just a fun "tech demo" and is not a game. I also have no plans to make it into a game.

Everything is 160A, mostly converted from the ST version, the character is converted from the TG16 version The animation on the character is a bit janky, I didn't spend much time polishing it up. If I get some time I'll add a few trees etc.

Personally I never liked the SoTB series, graphically lovely (Especially the Amiga version) but not my kind of game. I think the game would be probably be doable on the 7800 with some compromises.

Anyway, here's my little doodle. Enjoy :) 

unknown.png

Beast_tech_demo.a78 128.13 kB · 4 downloads

looks cool,

waiting for more :)

I've added it to the Pouet if you don't mind: https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=91558

Edited by Cyprian
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

Excellent demo, Muddy. By the way, I consider Shadow of the Beast III to be the most playable of the original trilogy, but that's just me.

I'd agree with that. I think 1 & 2 were quite "meh" as games, despite being graphically impressive with great music (Amiga being my point of reference here - David Whittakers music is just fantastic). 

III was definitely the best of an ordinary bunch. Give me Turrican any day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Excellent demo, Muddy. By the way, I consider Shadow of the Beast III to be the most playable of the original trilogy, but that's just me.

Just watched a video of SotB III and it looks a lot more playable, all the same great graphics plus you can actually jump and move while attacking!

- James

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Rick looks great in 160!!!!! Now that I've seen it you know I'm going to request it! Ha ha ha! You know, in between everything else you're working on right now!

After seeing the sprite engine running the SNES Zelda backgrounds I'm hoping that is something that can be shared in the dev community. That opens up so many possibilities. That could be used for the worlds of Rick Dangerous. But you already have mastered the large levels with everything you have done on A.R.T.I., Keystone, and E.X.O. You really are a "muddy funster" when it comes to programming the ol' gal. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

@saxmeister's lovely mock up of Rick Dangerous reminded me that I'd done a Rick sprite mockup a while back.

Just a sprite mock up, you can control him with the stick/pad, he walks, crawls and points his gun.

ricksprite4.bas.a78 128.13 kB · 5 downloads

Great work, as usual!

I like the choice of alternative colours, I would just suggest not using the white color for the eye as it looks too stretched out and not integrated into the face, I think it is better to use the light gray as the original version.

I love Rick Dangerous, some time ago I started looking at the sprites, I'm attaching a couple in case you like or inspire some details.

P.S. In the background graphics of A.R.T.I. is there something inspired by Rick Dangerous background? ;) 

Anyway, I love all your work, your games are wonderful and I am your fan. :)  

335903425_RickDangerous7800160B..PNG.d929a948df71c8a5b8400fee5fade0ff.PNG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Anyway, I love all your work, your games are wonderful and I am your fan. :)

Thanks, that's very kind :) and the feeling is mutual, I love the graphics and art that you make.

I love Rick Dangerous, some time ago I started looking at the sprites, I'm attaching a couple in case you like or inspire some details.

These sprites do look great @Defender_2600I definitely think the 7800 could do a nice version of Rick Dangerous. It's one I've often looked at and thought "Hmmmmm", but then I usually get my head turned by something shiny and work on that instead. It's one that's on my list, but the list is quite long right now. Bernie and the Tower of Doom and A.R.T.I. are my priorities to get done in early '23.

P.S. In the background graphics of A.R.T.I. is there something inspired by Rick Dangerous background? ;) 

Very much so. In fact, early builds of A.R.T.I. had me flip flopping between no background and a vine effect, but in the end, I went with the RD inspired rock formations.  :

0099.thumb.png.5200676ac632ac38703469d2e64b1f99.png

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the difference between many games produced in the USA versus many games produced in the UK/Euro scene (and definitely different to games produced in Japan) I really feel like the 7800 was designed in a manner that really makes it work better for UK flavoured games. The art style, gameplay, presentation, and humour are often better translated. I know that GCC really designed it to be similar to arcade hardware, but it reminds me of the later hardware from former Speccy devs Flare Technology. I just feel they have the same overall approach. Maybe it's just me. Lucasarts would be an exception since they really did their own thing and had their own approach. Maybe that could be a reason why you @Muddyfunster feel so "at home" on the hardware? (Besides all of that raw talent!)

• 1 month later...

I had a bit of time at the weekend to experiment with some ideas I've had knocking around for a while, 

I wanted to do a simple starfield. This one builds on lots of the Bresenham examples and even recycles a bit of code & theory from the E.X.O. boss fights. 

It's quite rough and ready, lots of room for improvement.

Video from my NTSC 7800

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I had to google that one, looks like Crazy Comets / Mega Apocalypse, or rather, they were clones / knockoffs of Mad Planets :) 

Pretty much, yep!

That would be an interesting one from a controller standpoint - the original game used a spinner plus a flight stick with trigger for control, and it's difficult to see how the game could work without them.  It could be done, but a decent chunk of what made the gameplay what it was would be lost.

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

I had a bit of time at the weekend to experiment with some ideas I've had knocking around for a while, 

I wanted to do a simple starfield. This one builds on lots of the Bresenham examples and even recycles a bit of code & theory from the E.X.O. boss fights. 

Pretty cool! It hadn't occurred to be that the Bresenham algorithm would be good for the hyperspace star effect as well.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Pretty cool! It hadn't occurred to be that the Bresenham algorithm would be good for the hyperspace star effect as well.

I tried a few ways and the Bresenham algorithm worked really well. I started using tables to set the termination point, that worked pretty well but got a bit repetitive. I also tried using some good old random numbers. I found this worked well with some framework / parameters to support.

I daresay there is probably a more elegant solution :) 

I think in the rom, you can use the controller and it alters the point from which the stars generate, it's only like a 10 px box of movement. Didn't quite work as I intended yet :) I would need to increase the star speed in the direction of travel to fake movement. 

• Like 3