IGNORED

modern games not fun anyone

I was played Qbert-rebooted on Xbox one and couldn't get through level 37-2 because of too many green guys constently changing cubes back to first color.  I threw another Xbox one controller in frustration.    Modern games are just too much work and not fun anyone when beating story mode doesn't feel like you completed it. Kingdom Hearts 3 for example is way too padded with unesscary extras,  collecting items for making other items,  the chef minigame ,  battlegate 14 with a crazy hard boss I can't beat even thou I beat the story mode boss.     I wish game developers would take a look at the psychological affects of crazy hard stuff in games before putting it in just to please a niche crowd of hard core gamers. I am tired of throwing controllers because of hard stuff I don't want to deal with.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:25 PM, bradhig1 said:

and way too many cutscenes I keep skipping.    I though Final Fantasy X had a lot.  Kingdom Hearts 3 has pro menu as part of dlc with cheats in beginner mode thank god. 

if you want to avoid cutscenes, avoid Japanese games. I've been playing Ace Combat 7 and ... yep ... not good. Cut scenes are fine for pushing a story along but the Japs just don't seem to have a clue how to do this. I'm guessing that it works for Japanese audiences but Western ones? Not so much. The ones in Ace Combat 7 are absolutely terrible. So it's just skip ... skip ... skip ... I don't even know why the story's there because it doesn't seem to have that much of a bearing on the game itself.

It's why, as a general rule, I avoid Japanese games like the plague. It's unavoidable if you have a Nintendo console, but easily avoidable on other platforms.

2 hours ago, Video said:

Minecraft. Other than that, f$#% modern games. Though to be fair, is it still a modern game if it's a 10+ year old last gen title?

Whew...tough call.  I'd say if the game is still supported by the company, it'd be modern but there are a bit of caveats to that.  Minecraft is on last gen platforms but is no longer supported, so does that make THOSE versions "classic" or just "unsupported"?  By that concept, as the shambling undead mound of Atari keeps putting out compilations of their old games, does that make those specific compilation titles "modern" as they are actively supported? Then would unsupported legacy titles that are not supported remain "classic"?

Lots of layers to this onion one has to go through for a definitive answer, methinks.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Video said:

Minecraft. Other than that, f$#% modern games. Though to be fair, is it still a modern game if it's a 10+ year old last gen title?

I honestly don't get peoples' continuing fascination with Minecraft. I hated it when it was released and I hate it now.

The best that could be said of it was that it was something new in a sea of rehashes. And that's the biggest problem with modern gaming. Everything's the same. There's little that's new or innovative.

Then again, some of the better games I have in my collection in recent years have been rehashes of classic arcade and computer games, so what do I know?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tickled_Pink said:

I honestly don't get peoples' continuing fascination with Minecraft. I hated it when it was released and I hate it now.

The best that could be said of it was that it was something new in a sea of rehashes. And that's the biggest problem with modern gaming. Everything's the same. There's little that's new or innovative.

Then again, some of the better games I have in my collection in recent years have been rehashes of classic arcade and computer games, so what do I know?

I think that's the issue with any era of gaming. The Pong clones, the Space Invader clones, Pac clones, multiple platformers, etc. It's just with modern games it seems you have to slog through for a few hours to get to the "fun stuff".

• Like 1