IGNORED

Dragon's Havoc - Side-Scrolling Shooter, Cartridge Available for Purchase and Demo available for download in thread!

I just posted a "for your consideration" build - it's not the complete game (this demo goes to 6-1), but has the stage select automatically activated so folks can see/play later portions of the game quickly and easily. 

Hopefully this will help folks on the fence of purchasing the full, physical version!

Links are in the original post and here:

DragonsHavoc_Dec_2022_Demo.bas.a78

DragonsHavoc_Dec_2022_Demo.bas.bin

image.thumb.png.48be686e72000f52d24fd4589aa2dc98.png

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I got my copy of Dragons Havoc in the mail today and I love it.   I haven't played the demo in a long time but the graphics are better than I remember in the outdoor stages and the difficulty seems increased!  I was afraid it would be too easy but I'm glad that there's some real challenge here.  Honestly I think this game is a real gem for the 7800 and I hope people don't skip over it or forget about it amongst the frenzy of great games coming out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I get my copy tomorrow. I hope to get a chance to try 2 player mode with my brother this week.

Edit-

Got my copy today! It was a shooter heavy order as I also got a copy of Rob’s 7800 Scramble port and Vladimir’s Roach in Space for 2600. Had fun playing with my brother. We got to Level 3-2 and died a few times and then I had to help out my fiancé with our newborn so we agreed to try to get further next time we hang out. Super fun game. Like all your other games the difficulty feels very fair.

Edited by Lord_of_Sipan
  • Thanks 1

Well it took about 5-6 hours (mostly done in two marathon sessions) but I finally beat this game.  Brilliant. Bravo. 4-2 was a beautiful cavern level and the scrolling in the -1 worlds was great.  But that challenge at the end was superb.  I know I'll get my money's worth out of this game bc I want to beat it on one continue and that's gonna take practice. 

I do have some thoughts but I'll save that for my contribution to atari7800forever.  But guys, seriously, get this game.  If you don't like shooters I doubt it'll sway you but everybody else needs this. Bravo

Edit: sorry if my fanboy is showing but this is the best purchase I've made since donkey Kong pk. 

Edited by Silver Back
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2023 at 4:47 PM, Lord_of_Sipan said:

We got to Level 3-2 and died a few times and then I had to help out my fiancé with our newborn so we agreed to try to get further next time we hang out. Super fun game. Like all your other games the difficulty feels very fair.

1 hour ago, Silver Back said:

Well it took about 5-6 hours (mostly done in two marathon sessions) but I finally beat this game.  Brilliant. Bravo. 4-2 was a beautiful cavern level and the scrolling in the -1 worlds was great.  But that challenge at the end was superb.  I know I'll get my money's worth out of this game bc I want to beat it on one continue and that's gonna take practice. 

This is all so awesome to hear - thank you all!!!  I'm also glad the challenge level seems to be going over well :)

I didn't want a game folks could sleepwalk through in a half hour, but I figured giving unlimited continues (resetting the score) allowed a fair way to learn/practice the game.  I'll admit the later levels can get pretty mean, but they should yield to practice and mastery of the rage mechanic.  I love to hear about folks' progress (and trying for a 1 credit completion!)

I'm also getting back to some other projects I have coming down the pipeline - I've been tied up with some non-Atari stuff as this year got underway, but I do have some other 7800 games coming now that I've finished the Dragon Trilogy ;)

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Man I got a sweet box of like 8-9 new 7800 games and so far...this is surprise of the bunch. I don't normally play the ROMs first so this one blew me away. The graphics (impressive), the gameplay (unique), the music (for a 7800? nice), actual bosses....man. Two thumbs WAY up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Cross posting from the main forums - I'm planning on revealing a cheat code or two on this game after I get back from PRGE this year.  They might help folks who have gotten stuck or just want to revisit the game.

In a semi-related Informal poll, how many folks have beaten the game and seen the ending? 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

OK - I promised that I'd reveal a secret or two after PRGE - This is the Stage Select.  I had it enabled by default for the large-scale demo that had most of the levels, but you can activate it on the full game to select whatever stage you want.

While you can play forward from whatever level you choose, remember that activating the stage select code will prevent you from entering your name on the high score - No trying to get a higher score by starting at a later level! 

Spoiler tag on for those who want to fight their way through to the final stages :)

To activate Stage Select:

Spoiler

On the title screen, all at the same time: press Left on Player 1 Joystick, Right on Player 2 Joystick, and Button 1 on Player 2 Joystick

You should see "STAGE 00" appear at the bottom of the menu, go down to select what stage number you want, then choose 1 or 2 players to start at that stage.  

It's handy to practice areas or levels you're having trouble with, or get a quick tour of the game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1