IGNORED

Atari 2600jr no video or distorded image

Retronl

Hello everyone,

My 2600jr gives no video or distorted image, trough the distortions you can see the game.

The atari is connected to a VCR with a scart to hdmi converter. When i select channel 2 or 3 on the atari and select the corresponding channel on the VCR i wont get any video at all. If i change the channel on the VCR to channel 1 it will display the distortions.

ive seen this on other atari's where they adjusted the modulator which changed the distortions into a normal display of the game. I dont have a hex screwdriver but tried it with a normal flat one, seems it wont turn.

Any other idea's of what is causing this problem? any help is appriciated, thanks.

atari .jpg

atari2.png

2 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

If you can connect using just the SCART lead alone do you get the same results? It may be that the SCART to HDMI converter just does not like the output from the 2600/VCR. 

I will try a component cable instead.

5 hours ago, Retronl said:

I will try a component cable instead.

I connected an old tv with rf connection but it displays the same image..distortions.  tried a good known working cartridge but that didnt solve it either. a bit disapointed it wont work. i asume the atari is faulty but i dont know which component it would be.

If any of the semiconductors are in an IC socket, particularly the 6805, RIOT and TIA then try pushing down on them as it may just be a bit of socket creep.

Might be worth doing the finger test to see if either of them is too hot to touch.

Someone posted a copy of the service manual a few months ago, might be worth doing a search to see if you can find it as following the fault finding flow diagram might give you an idea of where to look but my initial thoughts would be either the RF modulator or the TIA.

If you do find a hex key to adjust the coil make sure you use a plastic one as a metal one will have an adverse effect in that you might adjust the output to look OK, but it will go when you remove the hex key. 

On 5/19/2020 at 9:52 PM, Retronl said:

[...] When i select channel 2 or 3 on the atari and select the corresponding channel on the VCR i wont get any video at all. If i change the channel on the VCR to channel 1 it will display the distortions.

Since you're talking about "channel 1", and that channel was discontinued in most of Europe in the 50's, I guess you're confusing the the term "channel" intended as frequency allocated for TV broadcast transmission, with the "presets" on your TV or VCR (that is, the "numbers" on the remote, which can be individually programmed to any channel).

Your console is probably fine. The PAL-B Atari 2600 outputs on channel VHF 3 and 4 (despite what it's stamped on the case, which is in common with the US models).

Power on the console with a cart plugged in and do a channel scan on your TV/VCR (refer to your device instructions to do that) until the image appear. Then save the channel on a preset number.

Do not  mess around with the variable inductor, unless you know what you're doing. The ferrite core inside it is very brittle and it's easy to break it while trying to adjust it, especially if you use a metal tool.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alex_79 said:

Since you're talking about "channel 1", and that channel was discontinued in most of Europe in the 50's, I guess you're confusing the the term "channel" intended as frequency allocated for TV broadcast transmission, with the "presets" on your TV or VCR (that is, the "numbers" on the remote, which can be individually programmed to any channel).

Your console is probably fine. The PAL-B Atari 2600 outputs on channel VHF 3 and 4 (despite what it's stamped on the case, which is in common with the US models).

Power on the console with a cart plugged in and do a channel scan on your TV/VCR (refer to your device instructions to do that) until the image appear. Then save the channel on a preset number.

Do not  mess around with the variable inductor, unless you know what you're doing. The ferrite core inside it is very brittle and it's easy to break it while trying to adjust it, especially if you use a metal tool.

Thanks this was the only thing needed, just scanned for channels,after a lot of trying wit no result its working!

• Like 1