IGNORED

Sophia 2 preorder thread

Simius

1 hour ago, flemingt said:

600xl, but I've my custom mechanical keyboard installed that takes up a bunch of space

Ah gotcha. 

Well as mytek said you could solder the Sophia 2 directly to the PCB. Depends on just how much clearance is needed. 

I personally don't like having quality upgrades soldered directly if it can be avoided. A custom pcb adapter board makes sense if you can. 

I aquired an 800xl recently with u1mb and VBXE preinstalled and opening it up on arrival I was greeted with completely unexpected sight of both upgrades soldered directly to the XL's pcb. No sockets. Worse, the wiring was soldered directly to the header pins. No dupont connectors. Looks horrible. I am reluctant to desolder and socket both as I don't want to risk damaging either the VBXE or u1mb. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

10 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I aquired an 890xl recently with u1mb and VBXE preinstalled and opening it up on arrival I was greeted with completely unexpected sight of both upgrades soldered directly to the XL's pcb. No sockets. Worse, the wiring was soldered directly to the header pins. No dupont connectors. Looks horrible. I am reluctant to desolder and socket both as I don't want to risk damaging either the VBXE or u1mb. 

This should be punishable by law!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, woj said:

This should be punishable by law!

I'll post an image @woj. It's pretty shocking. I was expecting sockets and dupont connectors. I'd never solder modern upgrades to the PCB personally. 

Edit: here ya go. It has a covox board too. Again soldered directly to the PCB and header pins too. 

IMG_20230319_093817.jpg

Edited by Beeblebrox

1 hour ago, flemingt said:

600xl, but I've my custom mechanical keyboard installed that takes up a bunch of space

You may have enough clearance if you use low profile pin header sockets on the motherboard. I had to use this with my 800X using the mechanical keyboard and Sophia 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

I'll post an image @woj. It's pretty shocking. I was expecting sockets and dupont connectors. I'd never solder modern upgrades to the PCB personally. 

Edit: here ya go. It has a covox board too. Again soldered directly to the PCB and header pins too. 

IMG_20230319_093817.jpg

Definitely not how I'd choose to do it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

You may have enough clearance if you use low profile pin header sockets on the motherboard. I had to use this with my 800X using the mechanical keyboard and Sophia 2.

I had a second look, of I were to replace it with a low profile socket, then it would interfere with a 14 pin IC. Looks like I'd need a low profile socket for that too.

IMG_20230322_144745.jpg

Won't design or make one for you ;) but it should be about half a day work with EasyEDA and then ordering it from JLC. Measuring what you need and foreseeing all the protruding things in advance is the tricky bit, cardboard models are your friend here ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...