IGNORED

Has anyone tried the XE-1AP?

Steven Pendleton

I recently found 2 of these, and I am thinking of buying one.

They are not crazy expensive, but I'd like someone's opinion first, if possible. I will most likely buy one anyway, unless they are garbage controllers, but I'm still pretty curious to see if anyone here has tried one and to hear what they think of it.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

From what I understand, it's both huge and extremely comfortable. There are only like 10 games that use the thing, and of those, we have After Burner II, After Burner Complete, Space Harrier, Musha Aleste, and that's pretty much it. It does work on the X68000 and PC Engine, in case you have those, but you need an adaptor for at least the PC Engine. The X68000 has the proper plug on it but I don't know if the pins are the same, so I wonder if you need an adaptor for it.

• 9 months later...

Okay, so it's been almost a year, but I finally remembered to buy this controller today. I don't suppose anyone knows how to configure this controller... and yes, this controller must be manually configured with a little screwdriver to adjust the deadzones. I'm having difficulty getting it to work properly, as the throttle doesn't seem to work. I did read the manual and it seems that I'm doing everything properly, and I'm using After Burner II's special XE-1AP controller test menu to test it, but the throttle doesn't work. Any advice would be very helpful, but I doubt that anyone has one of these things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I hope it works out. Any chance you can return it if it doesn’t?

If it's broken, I can return/exchange it. Fortunately, I do not have work today, so I am going to go take it back to see what I can do with it. I do attend the daily online meeting even on my days off because I feel really bad if I don't, so after that, I can go check. Still have about an hour left until it starts, so I'll have to wait until 1400 or so to leave. I REALLY hope that they can either help me or get me one that works properly. The dude at the counter seemed to know quite a lot about the controller, so hopefully he's there again today.

• Like 2

Okay, so I took it back to Super Potato and they confirmed that the throttle stick does not work. They offered me a refund... I have not decided what I want to do with it. I asked what they'd do with it and although they are not sure yet, the answer was that it would most likely be scrapped for parts or sold as junk. This made me kind of sad, so I decided to at least hold onto it to see if I can find another one on Amazon and return my 75% functional one. I suppose I could just keep it and not be able to play After Burner properly, but I'd like to fix it if I can since it works perfectly otherwise and every game that doesn't use the throttle works just fine.

I scoured the entire town looking for one, but there are no others. Surugaya had one in the other day, but it got sold, and that's the closest I've gotten. Time to check Amazon...

Nope, nothing on Amazon and ebay only has a single broken one with a non-functional left stick. I wonder if I could repair one with parts from the other, but I've decided to keep the one that I have for now. Surugaya has 2 on their website, though.

Edited by Steven Pendleton