IGNORED

The Official Sega Saturn Thread!

2 hours ago, Hydro Thunder said:

Huge thumbs up for @electricmastro above for Scorcher.  This and Amok are two really great looking and nice playing Saturn games.  I used them as demos for friends who were all "I saw Toshinden on Saturn and it looked like crap, it can't do 3d!".  :)

Yeah, AMOK and some other Saturn games are pretty cool as well:

• Like 1

SOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scored a saturn with 20 games on craigslist!!  I stupidly sold my saturn collection about 5 years ago and i've regretted it ever since.  I never actually got to play saturn on a CRT since I bought my first saturn during the early days of the LCD revolution and always played it that way.  Does anyone here with the ODE thingie suggest that?  It came with a cartridge that allows me to play backups though, so is it even necessary?  I am mostly worried about the laser burning out eventually.   What are some good shmups that are only on Saturn?!  I only play racing and shmups.

IMG_20210818_200938521.thumb.jpg.3922fdf378233d9468fbea2d7b94fc4e.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

What are some good shmups that are only on Saturn?!

Only on Saturn? There are very few that I can think of right now, and by that I mean literally none aside from Panzer Dragoon Zwei, and the remake of that is supposed to release this year (get it anyway, because Panzer Dragoon Zwei is one of the best 3D shooting games available and is presented for your pleasure. Check the disc if you don't believe me!). Most of the best Saturn shooters were ported from the arcade or have releases on later hardware. Still, there are a few that are worth getting, as they remain the best versions of those games.

Big important one = Radiant Silvergun. Arcade perfect port as far as I know, as it was developed for the ST-V arcade system with the intent of also releasing it on the Saturn at home, so Treasure had the Saturn in mind when they developed it. It also has an additional mode that's not in the arcade version. The 360 version has input lag that the Saturn version does not have from what I understand, so unless you already have a convenient ST-V arcade system and the cartridge for the game in your house or want to use an emulator or something, the Saturn version is going to be the best version to play.

The Saturn versions of Thunder Force III-V are the best versions of those games. X68000 is where you should play Thunder Force II, as the Saturn only has Thunder Force MD, sadly. Still, III-V are best on Saturn. The only advantage the Switch version has over the Saturn version Of Thunder Force IV is online leaderboards. Other than that, the Saturn version is superior in performance, as it has absolutely no sprite flicker or slowdown ever, the music never cuts out to play sound effects, which even the Switch version does, and the Saturn version also saves your high scores, which the Switch version does not. Switch Thunder Force AC is actually slightly better than Saturn Thunder Force AC, as it has additional ships + online leaderboards.

Um... that's all I can think of for shooters at the moment. I will say that Saturn Panzer Dragoon is definitely better than its modern remake, but I can't say how it compares to the (I think relatively rare?/obscure?) Windows version or to the Xbox release.

For Saturn shooters in general, look into

Radiant Silvergun

Thunder Force Gold Pack 1

Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 (get Gold Pack 2 if you can only afford one of them, and get the other one later, but both of them, along with Thunder Force V, Radiant Silvergun, Layer Section, and both Panzer Dragoon titles are absolutely required for all Saturn owners as far as I'm concerned. Never played Soukyuugurentai, but I have heard that's another must-own game and will be in my possession very soon)

Thunder Force V (get the Special Pack version for the extra soundtrack CD! Most expensive Thunder Force game on Sega hardware, but X68000 Thunder Force II might be more expensive)

Layer Section

Layer Section II

Soukyuugurentai

Cotton 2

Cotton Boomerang (single most expensive Saturn game in Japan as far as I know. Can match prices with US Magic Knight Rayearth on ebay, but is considerably cheaper in actual Japan and "only" runs for about 40000~50000 yen here as far as I have seen)

Hyper Duel (#2 most expensive Saturn game in Japan as far as I know. Can match prices with Cotton Boomerang sometimes, though, so it might be a toss-up)

Battle Garegga

Gradius Deluxe Pack

Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus

all 3 of the Parodius releases on Saturn

Twinkle Star Sprites (I think the Neo Geo version is better, but that costs $2000+ while the Saturn version doesn't)

Space Harrier

After Burner II

Darius II

Darius Gaiden

Batsugun

DonPachi

DoDonPachi

There are probably some more that I have forgotten, but this works. In the Hunt is an excellent game... in the arcade and on the PS1. The Saturn version has a major problem that might prevent it from booting, but get that one if it works on your Saturn, because it's still going to be excellent.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 2

wow, thanks for all that info!!  

I have f Panzer Dragoon Orta for the original Xbox..  I have that print run that for some reason does NOT work when the Xbox is connected to an HDTV, but works on a CRT.  Or well, i guess i mean that it doesnt work in progressive scan.  I did play that, but I wasn't all that impressed, it seemed really slow and choppy, although i only played it for a few minutes.   I have a burnt copy of two panzers (i think) that came with this system that I haven't tried out yet, but will tonight.

my saturn wish list now is Outrun..  How does that game stack up on the system?

15 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

wow, thanks for all that info!!  

I have f Panzer Dragoon Orta for the original Xbox..  I have that print run that for some reason does NOT work when the Xbox is connected to an HDTV, but works on a CRT.  Or well, i guess i mean that it doesnt work in progressive scan.  I did play that, but I wasn't all that impressed, it seemed really slow and choppy, although i only played it for a few minutes.   I have a burnt copy of two panzers (i think) that came with this system that I haven't tried out yet, but will tonight.

my saturn wish list now is Outrun..  How does that game stack up on the system?

You posted at about the same time as my edit, so check the edit for more if you missed it.

Japanese Saturn Out Run is the best version of Out Run even now; more music than even the Switch version with all of the original arcade version's music + original arcade 30 FPS mode + new Saturn 60 FPS mode. I'm not sure about international versions of Out Run, but the early revision doesn't work on the white Japanese Saturns. Was fixed in a revision. Code on the fixed version's disc is GS-9110P-01050A-P1K. That's the one to get. Yes, you do want the Japanese one specifically, not the international versions.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

3 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

oh nice, thanks for that list!!

ugh, just looked to see where I can buy the terraonion mode thingie and they are all like 800 dollars on ebay :(  

Uh, they're properly priced on their website: https://shop.terraonion.com/en/home/17-Terraonion_MODE_Dreamcast_Saturn_ODE.html

Also available for preorder on SAG, an official distributor for Terraonion: https://stoneagegamer.com/terraonion-mode-dreamcast-saturn-playstation-ode.html

2 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

yikes, not sure why i didn't think to go directly to the source first.  i guess that's how people do wind up selling things on ebay for absurd prices! thanks again.

Sure. Check the shooters list again, as I added more to it, and be sure to specifically get the fixed Japanese Saturn Out Run, not the international versions. I edited that in as well, so yeah, check the edit for the disc code you need.

I'm tempted to buy a complete copy of Wipeout as it's one of my fav. series.  I just recently picked up a long box copy for the PS1 for relatively cheap.. It seems like it's the same game, but the saturn version isn't as good?  Definitely will try for outrun.. also power drift, street racer, cyber speedway (i remember having and liking that one), and a shooter.  I can't decide if I should just go all out and splurge on the terraonion ODE or just pick up the few games I want (which seems like it could get expensive).  I don't really have a way to burn CDr's unfortunately.

3 hours ago, str0m said:

Fenrir is ~$120 dollars plus whatever postage taxes are to the US https://shop.fenrir-ode.fr/

Outrun probably the game I play the most on my Saturn atm! Standalone JP version has the 60fps option as Steven mentions. The Sega Ages version doesn't that I recall.

I can't speak for the US version, but Out Run on the PAL version of Sega Ages is nowhere near as good as the Japanese version. Non-optimised graphics creating borders at the top and bottom of the screen.  The timer runs a little too fast even though the game itself is running slower,   making the game harder.

One odd bug I noticed with the PAL version was when the ferrari goes through the stone arches and the camera  angle changes on the car,  it doesn't change back to the original angle afterwards. You end up playing the rest of the game viewing the car from the wrong angle.  

So glad I bought the Japanese version to replace my PAL one, and although the Switch version is great, I still prefer the Japanese Saturn version on CRT.

2 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Battery's been dead for over a year. It worked just fine when I got it, but then I never used it because I use my Skeleton Saturn as my primary and I was going to put a MODE in the white Saturn.

Ah, I asked because I saw a video of someone who had a dead battery in his Saturn and only the green light came on. When he removed the battery the console booted up.  The other thing it could be is if you have a Yamaha power supply, one or two capacitors may have gone bad.  I have a screen grab of said likely capacitors.

Screenshot_20210820-153220.png

20 hours ago, Atariboy said:

The North American Sega Ages collection still has the hidden 60 fps mode. All that's missing as I recall are the remixes. 

Why would that be hidden? I'm not disputing you, it just seems odd, I mean wouldn't you always want to play any game 60fps? 

On 8/19/2021 at 10:18 AM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

yikes, not sure why i didn't think to go directly to the source first.  i guess that's how people do wind up selling things on ebay for absurd prices! thanks again.

A couple of quality shmups that won't break the bank are Sonic Wings Special, Strikers 1945 and Galactic Attack (Raystorm/Rayforce?), also Darius Gaiden.