IGNORED

The Official Sega Saturn Thread!

Fellas...any advice on a good S-video cable to get for the Saturn? I pulled out a system I got from my step-bro and only have the RCA cable. I see official cables are going for a lot more than generics, making me think some of the generics must really suck. Love to hear your thoughts.

Shit I go back one page and there it is...still, I don't really feel like spending 40+ bucks on this. I am UPGRADING from RCA so have low-ish standards...if anyone has any good experiences with generics or cheaper s vid cables LMK.

1 hour ago, youxia said:

There's nothing that grinds my gears more in retro scene than overpriced cables. Not even pointless recapping :) And, as I was saying, even composite on Saturn is quite fantastic.

I only have one game right now (Die Hard Trilogy) but in playing it a bit, I didn't think composite was bad at all. Honestly, my big goal here is to put this thing on my S-vid switch going to my CRT....as the 8 way composite switch is already all filled up!

My plan was to get a stunner and VC1/VC2/House of Dead. Stunner still works fine with S-video I hope? I seem to recall with PS1 one of the guns needed an extra box to do S-vid.

EDIT: Also I know the original Saturn controllers get high marks....but I am a turbo man to his core. I keep looking at the Japanese Bomberman Saturn controller which has discrete turbos for each button. Anyone have any experience with one?

I have a generic Saturn s video and it seems very good. I'm sorta anti big price for cables too but I'm gonna be honest, I was floored with the quality of the HD retrovision ones for the Genesis and it also works for the tg16 when u add one of those cheap db boosters, wow it's gorgeous. Got the adapter for the Saturn and it's great too but not that big of a difference with the generic s video cable really. But huuuuuuge difference for the Genesis. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Still not understanding that.   

The end of your cable is not working... so you replace the cable with a brand new one.

Honestly, I should stop. If you are unsure what a replacement cable is, you'd most likely not understand how to even replace it.

I would suggest requesting someone else do the repair. You could send it off and someone can replace the cable for you.

23 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

I have a generic Saturn s video and it seems very good. I'm sorta anti big price for cables too but I'm gonna be honest, I was floored with the quality of the HD retrovision ones for the Genesis and it also works for the tg16 when u add one of those cheap db boosters, wow it's gorgeous. Got the adapter for the Saturn and it's great too but not that big of a difference with the generic s video cable really. But huuuuuuge difference for the Genesis. 

Fair enough, but I just don't know how it is possible to make my image more gorgeous than it already is (generic SCART RGB cable to a decent Trinitron). Same for Genesis, it looks rather awesome already, and I also have only a basic RGB cable... Maybe it's some US-centric S-Video/component/NTSC thing?

33 minutes ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Ooof okay, no need to be so rude. I know the 3d pad cable is removable but that pic makes it look like you replace the innards or something.  

My apologies that it came off rude. Not my intention. 

The product I linked does require soldering and I just meant that if it wasn't obvious, you may want to have someone else do the swap.

I see that it could be misread as replacing the guts of the controller, it does say it can be used to make your own. But no, you would only need to change out the cord if your pin is bent.

On 2/25/2022 at 1:40 PM, youxia said:

Fair enough, but I just don't know how it is possible to make my image more gorgeous than it already is (generic SCART RGB cable to a decent Trinitron). Same for Genesis, it looks rather awesome already, and I also have only a basic RGB cable... Maybe it's some US-centric S-Video/component/NTSC thing?

Nah, there's no difference. The HD Retrovision cables just makes it a lot easier to get that RGB quality for us in the States. SCART is non-existent for the average consumer here outside of PVM/BVM units and certain upscalers.

• Like 1

Having a hard time with the satiator. It seems wonky lately and I can't tell if it's the satiator or if it's the finicky video CD slot. Turned it on yesterday went to the clock screen and I just put a new battery in a month ago. Put a new one on and still going to the battery screen. Power off sometimes it doesn't and goes to the satiator menu with the games and sometimes it will say there's no disc in the system so I have to remove it and put it back in a few times. Is the video port as unstable as the memory cart slot ?! I should have gone with a Fenrir or something but I really liked that this was plug and play. This system was a total pit. Grrr. I felt nostalgic for it again after having sold my original one over five years ago.

Well, I picked up a Hyperkin Saturn HDMI cable and finally tried it out tonight.  I read some negative reviews of it, but I did not notice anything wrong - the picture was much more crisp, I didn't notice any lag playing 1-player or 2-Player Virtua Fighter Remix or VF2.   At first I wasn't sure if it really improved things , but hooked up composite again to compare and woah ....  COMPOSITE BLURRY.   

The only negative of using HDMI is the meshes you see for shadows or transparency effects, a similar con to emulating 90's games.  On composite it all blends together.  I played Madden 97, the FMV may have looked worse, but everything else was more crisp. I never noticed that the on-field players had shadows before! Now I see the shadows and noticed them, but they are crisp black scattered pixels, oh well.   So I guess I'm satisfied with the Hypkin HDMI cable.  You have to power it with a USB though - I was happy to realize that my Panasonic Plasma still had a free USB to use.  The HDMI box has a 4:3 or 16:9 switch on it as well (I only play 4:3 for Saturn, hate the stretched look).   Probably the Saturn looks best using Component  because it would be better than RCA composite, but keep the artifacting/blending of pixels.  But, I haven't found an inexpensive component cable and now I may not even look. 

Speaking of VF2, I have fallen in love with the Saturn game again.   I was tired of it and done with it for 20 years. But after reading VGC's recent reviews of Saturn VF games, I was inspired to try them.  VF2 is not only 60fps and high res like is often mentioned, but I had forgotten about the VF2.1 mode and the Remixed soundtrack!  I had a goofy grin,  the game seemed so fresh alternating these different modes.  I love seeing VDP2 rotate the pixels of the ground.  

Played for an hour more - Sega Rally and Manx TT.  Played Manx TT with a 3D driving controller, played arcade mode races and Saturn mode races, played in first person mode with the extreme tilting horizon.   Fun arcadey racing for a while. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 11:57 PM, Rhomaios said:

I'm not a fan of visual novels and RPGs on the Saturn are either ridiculously expensive or imports, and sadly I can't read Japanese (yet). Virtua Fighter and Cop fall into the "fighters and shooters" tag, so I have those covered. Love me some Virtua Cop 1/2 and even House of the Dead. These three games (and Duck Hunt) are the chief I exclusively play on a CRT still.

Fortunately, the level of Japanese you need to actually play most (not all) games in Japanese is like an elementary school level, and you can get there in like 2 or 3 years of intense study. You won't be able to read stuff like the constitution of Japan or Japanese legal documents, but one of my Japanese friends tells me that most Japanese adults can't read those things anyway due to the special kanji they use, so yeah, don't worry about it lol. If there's one untranslated Saturn game that's worth learning Japanese to play, it's Sakura Taisen 2... but play it on Dreamcast instead if you have a choice since the Dreamcast version is better in literally every way: higher resolution overall, much higher resolution text that is far easier to read, faster loading, better video quality for cutscenes, increased 3D model quality, unlockable text skip feature that's not on Saturn at all, and the ability to transfer your save file to Sakura Taisen 3, which you can't do on Saturn since there is no Saturn version of that game.

6 hours ago, Cafeman said:

The HDMI box has a 4:3 or 16:9 switch on it as well

Might be useful for the anamorphic widescreen mode in Panzer Dragoon Zwei, as the game does have that option.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I FINALLY remembered to buy Sega Rally Championship today! I played the arcade version recently (and got my ass handed to me), but I have never played the Saturn version. Also got DecAthlete, which Sega Lord X has been praising for years, and The Conveni!, where you run a convenience store. I guess The Conveni! is really cool and it was 300 yen, so I got it. I knew there was a PS1 version, but I didn't know about the Saturn version, so I was very excited to see it for a literal pocket change price.

Sega Rally is brilliant. Yes the graphics are obviously worse but it's smooth and feels right. AI cars are in a different place to the arcade but that doesn't really matter. Played mine so much and also love the arcade, been top on the twin cab at a large arcade in the UK for 6+ months (unless someone has topped me since I last went 2 weeks ago!)

3 years back they had a twin cab at a local retro show and they ran a competition on it, best time won a Saturn and a copy of the game, good day out....  ?

58610198_10102653776373283_2289228666963492864_n.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/26/2022 at 8:10 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Having a hard time with the satiator. It seems wonky lately and I can't tell if it's the satiator or if it's the finicky video CD slot. Turned it on yesterday went to the clock screen and I just put a new battery in a month ago. Put a new one on and still going to the battery screen. Power off sometimes it doesn't and goes to the satiator menu with the games and sometimes it will say there's no disc in the system so I have to remove it and put it back in a few times. Is the video port as unstable as the memory cart slot ?! I should have gone with a Fenrir or something but I really liked that this was plug and play. This system was a total pit. Grrr. I felt nostalgic for it again after having sold my original one over five years ago.

I don't own the Satiator nor used it as I have a RHEA installed into mine. Having said that...

It is very possible that the pins in the slot have some heavy oxidation on them as they were never used on your saturn until you got your satiator. I would advise finding a way to clean the pins in the slot if possible and see if it helps. It really looks like the issues you are describing have more do with the Saturn not being able to see the Satiator.

As for the quick battery drain issue, I don't have any ideas on. I'm not sure if the Satiator requires it or not? I just replaced the battery in my Saturn I want to say over this past Summer and it is still working fine for me. But, I also did the FRAM upgrade to mine so I don't have to rely on the battery to keep my game saves and disconnected that part of the battery to the FRAM chip since it isn't needed. So the only thing the battery in my Saturn would be powering at this time is the RTC only.

Thanks for all those tips.. I'm going to sound really dumb but after I put in a fresh battery it worked. I did put in what I thought was a new battery tho.. I guess it was a dud.  My one major issue now is that I messed something up on the memory cartridge. It used to work when it was in the cartridge slot, but now it doesn't.  I was messing with the menus prior to that and screwed something up.  

10 hours ago, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Thanks for all those tips.. I'm going to sound really dumb but after I put in a fresh battery it worked. I did put in what I thought was a new battery tho.. I guess it was a dud.  My one major issue now is that I messed something up on the memory cartridge. It used to work when it was in the cartridge slot, but now it doesn't.  I was messing with the menus prior to that and screwed something up.  

Have you taken it out and put it back in? The slots can be really fussy. One of mine I need to fully push the cart in then lift it back up about 1mm. Make sure there is no dust etc in there as well