IGNORED

The Official Sega Saturn Thread!

15 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Why are Saturn games so super expensive? I only have 4. I can't buy any since they're really expensive on eBay.

The price issue for you is timing.

My younger brother started buying games for the Saturn in 1999 or 2000. My younger brother got most his domestic Saturn games from that era including ebay at much cheaper prices.

What happened is a few things. The Saturn is more known know than it was during its time on the market. Youtube and the internet did play a part. At the same time, I think people discovered the Saturn's import games. The Saturn had a whole lot more games out in Japan than they did in the states and a lot of the games are Japan only games.

The only thing with domestic Saturn games is most of the 1998 US releases always been high priced due to limited runs. 

These are all the games I have for my Saturn so far, plus my modded PAL console. 

Biggest regret is selling Elevator Action Returns a few years ago.  Seeing what price it fetches today, I don't suppose I'll ever get it again. 

20200531_195340.jpg

20200531_195024.jpg

20200531_194843.jpg

15909519836731980877257.jpg

1590952016664193798664.jpg

20200531_201307.jpg

Edited by Lord Innit
Rotate photo correct way
  • Like 1

Ive had lots of free time so been replaying Saturn games I usually avoid, trying to find the fun. For example, played a few rounds if Virtual Golf (which is fun) and Pebble Beach Golf (not quite as fun).  However the absolute craptacularest game I also devoted an hour to .... Saturn Congo. Man, it seems like it should be so fun but the devs screwed it up. I was particularly surprised at the game mechanism which has you feverish and it reverses your controls off and on while apes pound on your back!

Well, I played Panzer Dragoon and got my ass kicked. I really like this game, especially the music, and I'm glad that I got it. Rather than use a continue or try the sequel, I decided to try Sakura Taisen instead. The quality of the video in this game is actually surprisingly good. Too bad it doesn't use the VCD card at all. I'll have to spend more time with it, though I have difficulty with most military-related kanji in general since it's not something I've studied. Still, I think this game should be perfectly playable. I kind of wish I had the Shuttle Mouse, though.

• Like 1

Does that game sell for 440 YEN?   So basically $1 ??  Very cheap.  

Panzer Dragoon games require some replays and memorization of enemy positions, in order to pass levels. A month back I dug out my copy and same experience as you even though I'd beaten the entire game  in the past!   Also you need to watch the radar and quickly switch perspectives and start to lock on when new enemies appear. 

3 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

Does that game sell for 440 YEN?   So basically $1 ??  Very cheap.  

Panzer Dragoon games require some replays and memorization of enemy positions, in order to pass levels. A month back I dug out my copy and same experience as you even though I'd beaten the entire game  in the past!   Also you need to watch the radar and quickly switch perspectives and start to lock on when new enemies appear. 

Yes, it is 440 yen, which is roughly $4. If you feel that's too expensive for you, there are a few here for 1 yen each...

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B000069T6T/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Anyway, yeah, I need to play Panzer Dragoon for a while to get used to it, but I like it a lot.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

Definitely nice to see the Saturn getting its own thread.  It is well deserved.  I myself briefly owned a Saturn V2 with some games not too long ago.  It was a good system, but ultimately I decided to not keep it and sold everything off.  Still, it was a system that should have done better had things been different.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Saturn is awesome and I'm surprised that there wasn't a thread for it before. I may go ahead and make a Dreamcast thread to go with it. Don't have one of those yet, but I am planning on getting one soon.

Anyway, I also found Princess Crown yesterday for I think around 5000 yen. I may go get it next time I'm in Akiba. There are a lot of cheap to decently priced Saturn games in Akiba. The place is one giant tourist trap and prices generally reflect that for most systems, but Saturn games are generally not bad outside of things like Super Tempo, which I did see yesterday for around 49000 yen.

13 minutes ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Can anyone recommend some cheap, but good JP Saturn games? I've looked on eBay, and the ones I've found either require you to be a fluent speaker of Japanese, or are shovelware.

What's cheap for you? I got both of my Panzer Dragoons for 1500 yen each yesterday, so that may be worth considering.

This helped me, and I actually found this light gun for 550 yen yesterday. Forgot to buy it, though...

Edited by Steven Pendleton
formatting

I love my Saturn, I started collecting for it in the 90s when everyone was hating on it.. I remember going into Circuit city and grabbing 10 - 15 games at a time from a bargain bin for 5 bucks a piece.. I still remember the employees telling me that the PlayStation was the better purchase, but hey I love Saturn! 

588 Saturn games later I am still buying games for it!  I still need 12 Sports games and 2 non sports games until I have a complete USA set.  (Unfortunately 1 of those games is BattleSport, which is a kings ransom) I just picked up Robot Pit and Night Warriors the other day.

Since I am in the USA I am also a fan of the PAL exclusive games as well.  

Some of my favorite pieces are the Saturn Music School software with MIDI controller, that is a wild piece of software.  I also really like Game Basic for SS, that is such an odd title as it works with the Sega Saturn Floppy drive!

I also like using a Viking Telephone emulator to connect 2 consoles together to play the Saturn Modem games... Sega Rally, Duke Nukem and the other 3 are so much fun to play with your friend on the system next to you.

Do you all have any interesting oddball Saturn items / hardware you would like to share?  I would love to hear about it or any of your stories in finding games!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magmavision2000 said:

Can anyone recommend some cheap, but good JP Saturn games? I've looked on eBay, and the ones I've found either require you to be a fluent speaker of Japanese, or are shovelware.

If you like fighting games then Vampire Hunter and Street Fighter Zero 2 (known as Alpha 2 on western releases) are pretty cheap to buy.  The menus are mostly in english. Around £10 to £15 respectively from western sellers.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:06 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

There's an official Neo Geo thread, an official TurboGrafx-16 thread, the Genesis and Mega Drive has its own entire section, and even the Nuon has its own thread.

Why wasn't there one main thread for the Saturn?

I just got a beautiful Skeleton Saturn today and played the Saturn for the first time in my life, so I think it's time we had a nice thread like the others for this awesome system. I'll be honest and say that I am extremely new to the Saturn community since I've only had it for like an hour, but I'll try to keep the thread as updated as I can with the latest Saturn news.

Great to see the Sega Saturn receiving it's own thread. Lot's of great goodies that unit has. Nice work Steve. ;-)

Anthony..

Hi guys

My favorite game soundtrack on the Saturn is Sonic R. The game has mixed reviews, but the music was outstanding. Still listen to it on YouTube to this day. ;-)

0:00:00 • Can You Feel the Sunshine?

0:05:07 • Living in the City

0:09:53 • Back in Time

0:14:26 • Work It Out

0:19:05 • Diamond in the Sky

0:24:03 • Super Sonic Racing

0:28:06 • Number One

0:32:07 • Start Fanfare

0:32:16 • End Fanfare

0:32:28 • Options Screen

0:33:25 • Work It Out (Red Raw Mix)

0:40:51 • Super Sonic Racing (X-TRA Club Mix)

0:46:58 • Can You Feel The Sunshine (Instrumental)

0:50:59 • Living In The City (Instrumental)

0:53:44 • Back In Time (Instrumental)

0:57:13 • Work It Out (Instrumental)

1:00:43 • Diamond In The Sky (Instrumental)

1:04:05 • Super Sonic Racing (Instrumental)

1:07:35 • Super Sonic Racing (Shortened Mix)

1:08:16 • Race Result 1

1:08:21 • Race Result 2 (with Chaos Emerald)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

I finally bought a Saturn in I think late 1998 as they were being closed out. The store I was actually working for at the time (J&R Music World in NYC) had them for $50 - no discount for employees because it was below cost, but I still thought it was a good enough deal to buy one. I'd actually wanted one since it was released but had gotten a PS1 instead. At the time I couldn't afford to buy every system like I usually do now, but I always wished I had one.

Still have that one. Bought a "skeleton" model in Japan that same year for a bit more but not as much as you'd think (I think around $60); knowing how much they were already going for in the US and it being a new system in the box, I couldn't resist. Later, I bought a JVC V-Saturn for an obscenely low price at a Japanese thrift store (about $15). And lastly, so I didn't have to actually *use* my mint condition US Saturn, I bought a second, more beat-up one to actually play with. So at one point I had four Saturns and briefly considered trying to collect all variants.

I gave up that idea during my great purge a couple of years ago and sold all but my original Saturn. I also sold some of the rarer games I had for the system, but I still have about 20 or 25, including a few more sought-after games like Guardian Heroes that I just couldn't give up. I also had bought a box of actual OEM new Sega game cases at some point, so all my US games are mint. And I still have 3 or 4 blank Sega cases for future games I might buy.

The Saturn isn't *really* an expensive system to collect for. I wrote in another thread about people thinking a system's expensive because they're looking for expensive games. I was specifically thinking about the Saturn when I wrote that. A lot of common Saturn games are as cheap as anything, and if you look at imports, even the expensive US games are a lot cheaper. This is one weird case where Japan actually has *different* games than the US system that are expensive. Probably the most I ever paid for a game in my life was for Radiant Silvergun, which I paid around $180 for (mint, complete... there were cheaper packages in worse condition or missing items at the store I was at, but I wanted mint, complete). But OTOH, you can get something like Tomb Raider for $9 as an import, when people are asking like $60 for the US version of it. You can get a Japanese Guardian Heroes for $40 while the US version goes for $200+. And the Japanese games just come in regular jewel boxes and are both easier to store and easier to find replacements for if anything breaks.

Edited by spacecadet

23 hours ago, fdurso224 said:

Great to see the Sega Saturn receiving it's own thread. Lot's of great goodies that unit has. Nice work Steve. ;-)

Anthony..

Hey, good to see you in here! I normally don't see you outside the Neo Geo thread! Nice to see everyone coming in here to say how awesome the Saturn is!

By the way, for everyone who does not know, today, June 3rd, is Sega's 60th anniversary. It's been exactly 60 years since Sega was created, so let's take the time to play some awesome Sega games on awesome Sega hardware. I think I'm going to start with Panzer Dragoon Zwei on the Saturn and then maybe Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the Nomad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Hey, good to see you in here! I normally don't see you outside the Neo Geo thread! Nice to see everyone coming in here to say how awesome the Saturn is!

By the way, for everyone who does not know, today, June 3rd, is Sega's 60th anniversary. It's been exactly 60 years since Sega was created, so let's take the time to play some awesome Sega games on awesome Sega hardware. I think I'm going to start with Panzer Dragoon Zwei on the Saturn and then maybe Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the Nomad.

Didn't even now that until later, but I played some Space Harrier and Enduro Racer using my Power Base converter today. lol

Got my Sakura Taisen limited edition today. It looks like it might actually still be factory sealed since the tape on the plastic is super old. Still can't believe a limited edition copy was only 3000 yen still in extremely good condition, but the game sold out on launch day and I think it was one of the best-selling games on the system overall, which is why you can find it for junk-tier prices like 1 yen + shipping. Can't bring myself to open it, though.

Pic_0603_335.jpg

On 6/3/2020 at 12:24 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Got my Sakura Taisen limited edition today. It looks like it might actually still be factory sealed since the tape on the plastic is super old. Still can't believe a limited edition copy was only 3000 yen still in extremely good condition, but the game sold out on launch day and I think it was one of the best-selling games on the system overall, which is why you can find it for junk-tier prices like 1 yen + shipping. Can't bring myself to open it, though.

I think I paid 500 yen (about $4) for my copy of that, although mine isn't new, but it is complete and in very good condition. Japan just hasn't rediscovered the Saturn like some Americans seem to have. Maybe it's because it was more popular over there to begin with, so there's just more old stuff floating around per capita than here and there's no pent-up demand.

I remember on one of my visits there, I went up to the counter at a Book*Off or something with a few Saturn games, and the clerk actually looked at me and said "you know these are Sega *Saturn* games, right?" As if I must have made a mistake. This was a couple years ago. They just have a different mentality about the system.