IGNORED

The Official Sega Saturn Thread!

8 minutes ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Yeah, but I figure asking and having an extremely tiny chance of getting something is better than not asking and definitely getting nothing.

This is not me telling you to go elsewhere, I'm honestly curious, aren't there Japanese forums dedicated to the Saturn (or classic gaming in general)? Or is the idea of people gathering online just to discuss this stuff more of a western world phenomenon?

30 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

This is not me telling you to go elsewhere, I'm honestly curious, aren't there Japanese forums dedicated to the Saturn (or classic gaming in general)? Or is the idea of people gathering online just to discuss this stuff more of a western world phenomenon?

Yeah, forums don't really exist in Japan aside from like 2ch and Steam as far as I know.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2020 at 11:12 PM, Cafeman said:

Ive had lots of free time so been replaying Saturn games I usually avoid, trying to find the fun. For example, played a few rounds if Virtual Golf (which is fun) and Pebble Beach Golf (not quite as fun).  

I don't remember posting the above, but coincidentally I've finally had time to play some obscure Saturn games lately, and I once again have gravitated to some sports games.  I played VR Golf all weekend. It is a little like playing an interactive pastel painting, the way the graphics were done.  I do like the look and the feel, although it is a bit slow paced when playing a tournament. If I understand correctly, you have to play long enough on amateur mode to get your handicap fro -24 to 0, then you can play the pro tournament.  I'm still at -6 handicap after several amateur tournaments, and it's not like I'm terrible at the game.  This is a bit too long to force me to wait just to try the pro tournament, especially since there are only 2 18-hole courses.  Also I'm not sure the ball path is always accurate to where it is set to go. I've adjusted the putting path so it visually appears more correct, and then regretted it.  This is a game where I often want to watch a shot replay at different camera settings, a well done feature.   I played this long enough to realize its inaccuracies compared to other golf games, for example you can use a pitching wedge nearly full swing from the rough to the nearby green, and the ball will barely pop onto the green, covering little distance. 

Last night I loaded Pebble Beach, which I admittedly have never stuck with for long. Well, it is faster paced than VRG, much more modern looking visually too.  I miss the tracking ball cams from VR however.   I was having trouble judging each club's distance.  Unlike VR, the smallest swing of a pitching wedge will cause the ball to fly over and past the green, if you are not careful.  The way Craig Stadler pops up to comment on things is both strange and pleasingly hilarious.  He nearly got a hole in one on his drive, popped up to say "do you think you can get it inside mine?"  LOL   You have the option of having a rotoscoped caddy, but this replaces the helpful right-side course map!  No thanks. 

I also played several rounds of World Wide Soccer 97, which I found very fun once I got some skills. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Saturn golf games, apparently there is a Saturn golf game that takes place in hell or something like that. I have the name of it somewhere.

Okay, found it: The Hyper Golf : Devil's Course. Does it suck? Is it better than Neo Turf Masters? I can pretty much guarantee that it's not better than Neo Turf Masters, but I'll try it if I can ever find a copy of it for a decent price.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

Velora Valley golf in the United States, its a fun golf game, not quite golf in hell but golf in some hellish places haha..

The holes and greens on this course are crazy, but not so much in like hell but in like, wow the slope on this hill is soooooooooo high.

Definitely check out videos of it and see if you like it.

I would loved to have played a game of golf in a hellish setting on a game haha..

The powerups are very fun on this game too!

It was originally called Wicked 18 and was upgraded to the 3do but the upgraded version was ported to the Saturn.

It's definitely a great game and one worth having in your collection.

Edited by imstarryeyed

Anyone have the satiator? Mine works maybe one time out of 50 now.. I think it's out of warranty.. I don't have another Saturn.. I know the cartridge slot is super finicky (mine is.. when I use it to play disc games) but now the video slot in the back ?    The laser still works great, but I really loved the satiator when I first got it and was able to play the whole US library. 

But it was working fine for a few months when I first got it. What would updating the firmware do if nothing else has changed?  To be honest I can't stand firmware updates for things like this, especially if they ship out not working out of the box. I will try it out tho, but I have to find a PC. I only have a Chromebook and my phone. Do you think I could update the firmware on my Xbox if it has windows on it?

I scanned through a few posts in this thread, but not all, so apologies in advance if my question is overly irritating or has been answered a million times.

I'm coming back to the Saturn after about a 25-year hiatus; can you guys point me toward some threads or resources on different disc-less options or pros/cons?  So far I've looked at the Terraonion MODE, but some info from more active folks would be helpful for me.

Thanks in advance (and for being patient)!

• Like 1

MODE is the best since it has highest compatibility, but it requires you to remove the disc drive and is a bit expensive. Fenrir is the cheapest by far and I think it now lets you keep the disc drive, but I've heard it had problems with multi-disc games near launch. Not sure if that is fixed yet. Satiator is the most expensive by far and won't let you play MPEG card Lunar, and the only advantage it has is that it's easiest to install and lets you keep your disc drive. I almost want to say that it might have had problems with multi-disc games as well, but I don't remember.

At this point, the MiSTer is probably your best option for no-disc Saturn, mostly because I think a MiSTer is about the same price as a Saturn + ODE and does a whole lot more than just being a Saturn.

• Thanks 1

The other perk of the Satiator is the fact you can easily swap it from console to console. I've got multiple Saturns and use it in both, as does my brother and I can easily bring it over to his place when we want to have some two player Saturn gaming sessions.

If you don't mind losing the disc drive, then I'd probably go Fenrir. It's the cheapest, works well and is frequently updated. Technically you can buy a kit that allows you to keep the disc drive, but that adds another $50 to the cost and isn't in stock as of this post.

MODE seems like a solid product and has a good user interface. But it's also not as cheap as the Fenrir, and you'd also be supporting a company that has dealt in some shady business practices over the years and tends to stir up drama online. I generally do my best to avoid their products when there are other options available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have Terra Onion's Mode as well, and it works fine. The issue you many run into with any ODE that used an FPGA chip is availability. Something like the MODE hasn't been available for while, and it may be well into 2023 before such things are available again. I am not sure what the Fenrir uses, but the order page has an October to December time frame https://shop.fenrir-ode.fr/en/23-super-fenrir-duo.html

• Thanks 1

Fenrir is worth serious consideration just because it's literally around half the price of the other options on the market and it basically does the same stuff. I know they were planning on increasing its compatibility with multi-disc games, so I hope they did that. I guess most of the multi-disc games still work fine, but there are some that don't. I can tell you that Sakura Taisen should probably work fine on Fenrir, assuming that it works the same way with the disc swapping that the Dreamcast version does, as it lets you save, turn the Dreamcast off if you want, and then start from disc 2 once you reach that point instead of having to go from disc 1 to disc 2 in-game.

• Thanks 1

I've been tempted to buy Street Fighter: The Movie for some time. Can anyone tell me if it controls like a standard Street Fighter 2 game? I've never played it, but I love digitized graphics, and I'm comfortable with SF2 controls. I don't think I would like it if it has Mortal Kombat controls, for instance. Also, regardless of the control scheme, is there some fun to be had here? I've seen a few videos and it seems fine, but for some reason the game was never popular at all. 

2 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I've been tempted to buy Street Fighter: The Movie for some time. Can anyone tell me if it controls like a standard Street Fighter 2 game? I've never played it, but I love digitized graphics, and I'm comfortable with SF2 controls. I don't think I would like it if it has Mortal Kombat controls, for instance. Also, regardless of the control scheme, is there some fun to be had here? I've seen a few videos and it seems fine, but for some reason the game was never popular at all. 

15 minutes ago, Austin said:

It plays like Street Fighter II (specifically, Super Street Fighter II Turbo). You'll be fine.

Yup, can confirm, plays just like SFII.  :)  (that reminds me, i ought to get a copy for the lols)

• Like 1