IGNORED

AppleWin .WOZ images read only

enuffsaid

Hello again,

I was just playing one of my favorite Apple II games, Summer Games from a .WOZ image in the AppleWin emulator. When I got a record the disk started spinning but would never show the list of records.  I noticed the emulator played the image in Read Only format and the other options were greyed-out.  I can't seem to find any related settings in AppleWin.  Am I missing something?

Thanks for any advise and have a good weekend.  :-)

5 hours ago, enuffsaid said:

Hello again,

I was just playing one of my favorite Apple II games, Summer Games from a .WOZ image in the AppleWin emulator. When I got a record the disk started spinning but would never show the list of records.  I noticed the emulator played the image in Read Only format and the other options were greyed-out.  I can't seem to find any related settings in AppleWin.  Am I missing something?

Thanks for any advise and have a good weekend.  :-)

.woz is by its nature read-only. It is a format for disks with weird copy protection schemes, such as varied track lengths, oddball track spacing, and the like, and it preserves all of their bizarre disk ordering; effectively permitting anything that the Woz Disk ][ controller allows by its rather open and simple design. You want .dsk, .po, and similar for r/w. 

Edited by GameGeezer

4 hours ago, GameGeezer said:

.woz is by its nature read-only. It is a format for disks with weird copy protection schemes, such as varied track lengths, oddball track spacing, and the like, and it preserves all of their bizarre disk ordering; effectively permitting anything that the Woz Disk ][ controller allows by its rather open and simple design. You want .dsk, .po, and similar for r/w. 

Hello GameGeerzer,

Thank you for your reply.  I did read up on .woz images and understand they can hold complex copy protection schemes.  My guess was perhaps there's an emulator that can handle writing to .woz images but I'll stick to my .dsk and .po images, then.  Thank you for clearing that up.

The only way I know to write a .WOZ file is to use a real Apple IIe (not an emulator) and wDrive from KBoohk. Here's the explanation from KBook:

"Write to woz file will not alter the meta data. As the meta data carry the checksum, the image after write may not use by other system unless it was patched to fix the checksum or the system does not care about the checksum like wDrive."

• 3 months later...

The woz image worked ok for me in AppleWin to write a high score.  woz images have a byte in their starting header to indicate whether the disk is write protected or not.  AppleWin will not override this byte.  My woz image of Summer Games did not have the byte set.  If byte 22 in the disk image is 00, then the disk is not write protected. If byte 22 in the disk image is 01, then the disk image is write protected.  You can edit the byte but AppleWin will throw up a CRC32 error, but you can ignore it and bypass it.

• 3 weeks later...