IGNORED

Scrapyard Dog (Graphics Hack)

KevinMos3

On 8/1/2020 at 4:15 PM, Giles N said:

94EE171E-3287-464D-990F-14D3D5AA4AF4.jpeg

Which rom did you have put on cartridge?  That doesn't look like the final one in the 1st post (12-June).  That mouth is from one of the earlier versions.  There were quite a few changes like animation and alignment fixes I did between that earlier version and when I finished.

13 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

Which rom did you have put on cartridge?  That doesn't look like the final one in the 1st post (12-June).  That mouth is from one of the earlier versions.  There were quite a few changes like animation and alignment fixes I did between that earlier version and when I finished.

Thats probably very spot on:

It’s from

an early source-file.

-

Still happy to

have it.

-

If had the money or the time, or contacts, I’d produce 20 x of the ‘You are Scraps the Dog’-version to sell beside 7800

consoles on ebay, or have a Special

Editions in my shelf for any future Atari-enthusiast.

???

?

Edited by Giles N

16 hours ago, Giles N said:

Aaarrghh !

That final puzzle drives me nuts!!

Anyone who knows if pieces are random from gaming session to gaming session, or whether they always start at the same pattern?

Thanks to @Mitch for hosting.

Note: "Maps and info courtesy of Mord and John K Harvey."

See the attached below.

scrapyarddog62final.thumb.png.e4815e83ce888d00646aeebf04faf9ac.png

Curious with this hack @KevinMos3, were the three possible newspaper endings (Thanks again to Mitch for hosting) updated too?

scrapyarddogwin.pngscrapyarddoglose2.pngscrapyarddoglose.png

• Thanks 1

The only other item - and this is strictly speaking from the easier said than done section - is changing the title to SCRAPYARD LOU. 

The "O" is already in place.  It seems the "D" can be modified to make an "L", a lot easier than the "G" modified to "U".  Though, I'll leave the possibilities up to the experts.

Also, (C) 1990 ATARI CORP  -> (C) 2020 KEVIN MOS3 (maybe?)

"Scrapyard Lou" (In green of course), I'd definitely buy that. :D

Changing the title to Scrapyard "Lou" wouldn't be difficult.  I'd have to check my edit files to make sure.  However, IMO the current name is quite fitting for playing as the dog and sounds cuter... just IMO.  When I get moved and settled in, I might have a go for you on that.  But, are you referring to the original version hack or the Scraps hack?  There's also a green title version of the original in the zip, just not for the Scraps version.  If you're wanting the Scraps hack with a green title... and you don't want to wait for me... you can open them in a hex editor, run a compare on the original regular title vs green title, and it should only come up with one change.  I think it's a single byte, like 2A to BA or something.  I don't remember the exact colors.

As for the copyright, I personally don't like putting my stamp on something just for hacking with it.  I feel like I'd be disrespecting the actual programmer and original pixel artist(s) who did the hard work.

But anyway, thank you very much for the feedback and support.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

But, are you referring to the original version hack or the Scraps hack? 

Definitely, the Scraps hack.  What you did with original version hack looks great too.   The updated Louie is awesome.   However, the game really 'feels' considerably different with the Dog as the protagonist.  Coupled with the possible title screen name change (and placing it in green), it really completes the 'hack', IMHO.

However, IMO the current name is quite fitting for playing as the dog and sounds cuter... just IMO.

Agreed; on both accounts. 

I wish the original was called Scrapyard Lou (Or Louie) instead.  My reasoning is in conjunction with what was mentioned above.  Then again, maybe, just add Roman numerals "II" or the number "2" somewhere in the title screen.  Maybe "Part 2"/"Part II" (?)

My perception is that it needs something different from the original game title name (In addition to the color change).

:ponder:

As for the copyright, I personally don't like putting my stamp on something just for hacking with it.  I feel like I'd be disrespecting the actual programmer and original pixel artist(s) who did the hard work.

Part of me feels some credit or change to the copyright stamp or date is in order for the work that went into modifying the game.  Nonetheless, point understood and of course respected. :)