IGNORED

The NES Omnibus Vol. 1 A-L Now on Kickstarter!

My forthcoming book, The NES Omnibus Vol. 1 A-L, is now on Kickstarter!

If you'd like to check out sample pages, perks and more, click here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brettweissnes1/nes-omnibus-vol-1-a-l-deluxe-hardcover-nintendo-book?ref=user_menu

Featuring a robust, hugely entertaining, 1,200-word foreword by The Goldbergs creator and producer Adam F. Goldberg, The NES Omnibus Vol. 1 (A-L) is the follow-up to the critically acclaimed two-volume SNES Omnibus set.

Like those books, this one will be well over 400 pages, feature more than 2,000 full-color photos and more than 220,000 words, and boast the writing of numerous industry pros and personalities who tell their nostalgic stories (some funny, some sad, all memorable) of playing games on the respective Nintendo console.

Featured contributing story writers include "8-Bit" Eric Perez, John "Gamester81" Lester, "The Immortal" John Hancock, David Warhol (legendary Intellivision programmer), Steve Woita (noted Atari, Genesis, and PS1 programmer), Sean Tiedeman (director of The King of the Arcades), Greg Sewart (former Previews and Reviews Editor for Electronic Gaming Monthly), Shane Stein (the Executive Producer of The Game Chasers Movie), Patrick Hickey Jr. (voice actor and author of The Minds Behind the Games series), and Ken Horowitz (author of The Sega Arcade Revolution and Playing at the Next Level), among many other content creators.

This book takes a detailed look at EVERY U.S. release for the NES from A to L, and each of the more than 350 games featured gets at least one full page of text and images, including gameplay synopses, history, reviews, box art, screenshots, release data, developer and publisher info, and quotes from vintage magazines. There are colorful ads from various classic magazines as well. Plus, I share my memories of playing many of the games. I got my NES for Christmas in 1987 and have been playing it on a regular basis ever since!

While every game is guaranteed at least one full page of coverage, more than 35 of the more popular titles, such as Baseball Stars, Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Double Dragon, Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, Ghosts ’n Goblins, and Kirby’s Adventure, get two pages! And The Legend of Zelda is spread out over three beautiful pages! Plus, the book will have a stunning centerfold featuring all your favorite NES characters by Old School Gamer Magazine illustrator Thor Thorvaldson. This is a big, durable, beautifully bound book with professional production values. Schiffer Publishing did a great job on my SNES Omnibus books, and The NES Omnibus is looking fantastic as well!

The Nintendo NES is one of the most iconic video game systems of all time, resurrecting the home console industry during the mid-’80s and offering some of the most enjoyable and exciting gaming experiences ever created, from shooters to RPGs to platformers and beyond. This deluxe hardcover book pays considerable respect to the console many of you guys and gals grew up playing and still enjoy today. Every game, no matter how obscure or mainstream, gets the full treatment. The book is a walk down memory lane for older gamers and a great history lesson for younger folks. And it's entertaining for everyone!

In addition to writing an overview of every game in the book, I also provided a foreword detailing my history with the NES, as well as the history of the console itself. In the back of the book, there’s an essay on the infamous Power Glove controller by Zoe K. Howard as well as one on the Comic Book Games of the NES by Blair Farrell.

Every Kickstarter backer will get their name in the book as a special thank you, and there are other cool rewards for backers as well. Thanks for supporting me on this grand adventure!

BrettWeissPhotoKick.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It appears he was. No thanks. I think I speak for a lot of people not only here, but in the retrogaming community in general when I say that anything that he has contributed to is going to be a hard pass.

• Like 5

Well, yes, harder than hard pass.

You hired an utter pariah, who is a self confessed NES hater, and is totally outcast by the entire retro community for abhorrent behaviour, to write for a book of yours.

Umm, if you can't even research your writers, what hope is there for the actual book?

• Like 6

I'm fully aware of who Kieren Hawken is

He shared some nostalgic stories of playing the NES when he was growing up. They are authentic and really good. Great comparisons to the computer versions. 

I've been told not to collaborate with various writers, convention programmers, YouTubers, arcade champions, website hosts, and others, but I stay out of the drama.

I accepted his stories because they are good. He worked with Bitmap Books as well. Here is a paraphrasing of what they said when asked about his work: 

"I have no reason to question any of the work Kieren presented to me. It was all of the highest quality and more than met my expectations. I have no personal problems with him and he's acted in professional manner throughout the project. As far as I am concerned he has nothing to answer for and will not be answering any questions regarding our relationship."

4 hours ago, 8bitgamer said:

Then this speaks volumes about you.

He shared some nostalgic stories of playing the NES when he was growing up. They are authentic and really good.

This would be the NES he has said he never owned, and has posted on more than one occasion and site that he hates, yes?

but I stay out of the drama.

Oh don't worry, Kieren will bring that to you.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

This would be the NES he has said he never owned, and has posted on more than one occasion and site that he hates, yes?

My reputation is fine. 

He has very interesting stories to tell about playing his friend's console when they were kids.

So far so good. I've been at this for a very long time: gaming since 1975, professional gaming writer since 1997, first book published in 2007.

But I can't please everyone or mediate everyone's disputes.

So, peace out.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 8bitgamer said:

My reputation is fine. But I can't please everyone or mediate everyone's disputes.

Clearly you don't give a damn about what he's done to others (including pushing them to near suicide), the slandering and attempted ruination of careers and relationships or just the fact that you are working with a straight up shitbag human who has most likely fabricated everything he's sent to you.

I think I'll pass on your products, and I'm sure many others will as well.

You are trying to shill a retro related book, written and targeted at a retro audience... an audience that Hawken has spent the last 15 years trying to destroy and tear down, causing problem after problem wherever he goes.  If you think the retro community is going to stand behind you on this one and advertise your efforts then you might want to take a second to consider your position.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Clearly you don't give a damn about what he's done to others (including pushing them to near suicide), the slandering and attempted ruination of careers and relationships or just the fact that you are working with a straight up shitbag human who has most likely fabricated everything he's sent to you.

I think I'll pass on your products, and I'm sure many others will as well.

You are trying to shill a retro related book, written and targeted at a retro audience... an audience that Hawken has spent the last 15 years trying to destroy and tear down, causing problem after problem wherever he goes.  If you think the retro community is going to stand behind you on this one and advertise your efforts then you might want to take a second to consider your position.

My last comments on the subject:

The stories are obviously authentic. I've been doing this long enough to know. 

That's fine. 

Book sales are very good.

Again, I've been told not to collaborate or appear at conventions with a variety of people, including certain writers, convention programmers, YouTubers, arcade champions, and website hosts, because of various accusations, but I can't mediate everyone's disputes.

• Like 1

"The stories are obviously authentic."  How would you know?  Have you had any experience with psychopaths?  Do you really believe that you could tell when one was lying to you?

For myself, and many others, anything that Kieren "The Liar" Hawken has touched is going to be a hard pass.  Enjoy your wonderful sales numbers, and your obvious lack of integrity.

Edited by Shamus
misspellings :-/
  • Like 4

Hi Brett. Take a good look through this list of various individuals who have had to deal with Kieren, with many providing proof of his various misdeeds:

Take a good, long look at that list, and come back and tell us that he's been "unfairly blacklisted". 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, 8bitgamer said:
He worked with Bitmap Books as well. Here is a paraphrasing of what they said when asked about his work: 

"I have no reason to question any of the work Kieren presented to me. It was all of the highest quality and more than met my expectations. I have no personal problems with him and he's acted in professional manner throughout the project. As far as I am concerned he has nothing to answer for and will not be answering any questions regarding our relationship."

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

I highlighted the relevant word in your statement for you, just in case you couldn't pick it out yourself.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, 8bitgamer said:

My reputation is fine. 

He has very interesting stories to tell about playing his friend's console when they were kids.

So far so good. I've been at this for a very long time: gaming since 1975, professional gaming writer since 1997, first book published in 2007.

So, peace out.  

Intrigued by which friends that would be as he explains here that no-one at his school had one.

Facts eh?

When you  have to try justifying using the "authority by reputation" tack (aka trust me), that usually implies you have no other rationale.

Screenshot_20200612_005031.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, 8bitgamer said:

He shared some nostalgic stories of playing the NES when he was growing up. They are authentic and really good. Great comparisons to the computer versions. 

I've been told not to collaborate with various writers, convention programmers, YouTubers, arcade champions, website hosts, and others, but I stay out of the drama.

I accepted his stories because they are good. He worked with Bitmap Books as well. Here is a paraphrasing of what they said when asked about his work: 

Here is a paraphrasing of what they said when asked about his work: 
So when you say PARAPHRASE, are you claiming that these are Sam Dyer's ACTUAL words or have you "paraphrased" to make a point?
Paraphrase: express the meaning of (something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 8bitgamer said:

Are any of these personal accounts of his making it into the book then? 

I assume by impact you mean collecting dust in branches of BOOTS Round my area in Hertfordshire we had several smaller chains in Software Plus, Calculus and Games Galore, none of which stocked the NES (they all stocked the Atari 2600/7800 funnily enough though) and then when the first big chain opened in Future Zone (who went on to become part of Game) I went to work for them and we didn't stock the NES either, but did stock the Master System. In fact when I was working at Game in 1993/1994 we were still selling the SMS and its games but no NES stuff.

Also I clearly remember people being very p1ssed of with TMHT on the NES because it wasn't a conversion of the arcade game and also wasn't very good. It may have helped ship a few consoles but the sales figures overall speak for themselves.

The Laird

Re: Systems that you had no interest in and still don't

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:57 pm

But anyway, mine are:

NES I was laughing at this machine as it gathered dust in my local BOOTS well before my next door neighbour had one. I could never understand the appeal of it and was honestly both bemused and shocked by it's success in America. I have yet to find anything about that would change my mind, it was just totally inferior to near enough all it's competition.

An honest an open review of NES Turtles, which by his own admission in his own A to Z guides, he had no concept of why it was seen fit to be converted to the home computers, we had to answer that for him, would make for a genuine read. 

His vast UK Retail scene experience, detailing how badly the NES fared in the UK would make for a genuine article all on it's own. 

They'd be great comparisons to the genuine US NES owners reviews. 

Brett, your talking about an individual who again, by his own admission in his own books, based a review (Jaguar Zero 5) on watching someone else play it at a Retro Event, as he found it too hard. 

An individual whom ex-Newsfields Roger Keane has made clear, had to almost completely rewrite every review submitted, the standard was that poor, for a commercial publication. 

You quote Sam Dyer as a grounding, yet Sam has also stated i believe he won't be working with Kieren on any future projects. 

Guru Larry is having to issue a revised edition of his Fact Hunt Book to correct the Atari Jaguar errors Kieren gave him as fact. 

Darryl Still kicked off over Kieren not asking him for the Atari UK side of Jaguar Zero 5,nor speaking to Caspian Software M. D for the full story, when Kieren assisted with a Fact Hunt script. 

Your taking work on at face value, whilst ignoring the lessons others learnt the hard way. 

Quoting one publisher because it suits your argument, but choosing to ignore the warnings from so many others is selective at best and far from reassuring for your backers. 

Your project. 

Your gamble. 

It's not DRAMA. 

Likes of Guru Larry, Pixel Nation, Fusion Publishing etc took him on at Face Value only to find work taken from Wikipedia, him taking credit for writing most of the books, multiple scripts and having to invest time cleaning his work up. 

Even after all that, his claims were anything but genuine. 

You must have had concerns.

You yourself left him off the contributors list on the Kickstarter campaign. 

If you have such confidence in him, why wasn't he named? 

Your pulling a Sam Dyer on us here. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, 8bitgamer said:

My reputation is fine. 

So, peace out.  

No slur intended whatsoever Brett but surely, you must have heard at least one or two of the stories connected to Mr Hawken, and you're trying to say that as a professional writer of some 23 years, you chose not to listen to any alarm bells that might have been ringing and do some hard research to see if there was any meat on these bones?
Kieren has never had any qualms about being more than a tad vocal about his complete and utter disdain for Nintendo and their product.
But for some reason you walked into this particular minefield with your eyes wide open.
There are as you said to me, two sides to every story, but surely the overwhelming torrent of evidence here and elsewhere, of people who have personal experience of his deception and disgusting behaviour shows that there are, yes two sides...the truth, which is that Kieren is a talentless, underhanded, lazy, narcissistic sociopath and plagiarist and his version which is that people from across the globe have clubbed together in a shadowy cabal to bring down the career of one man, who basically has done sweet fuck all in the big scheme of things.

• Like 8

Just to be 100% transparent here Brett. 

Unlike Kieren, who used Social Media to advise people not to back kickstarter projects by the likes of Fusion Books and others.. 

All any of us are doing here is trying to fathom what possible logic there can be behind emoloying the services of an individual with a reputation such as that Kieren has. 

Leaving aside everything but the open hatred he has expressed over the years towards the NES platform... and the fact you yourself appear to be admitting his reviews are based on childhood memories of playing on a friend's console... 

He just doesn't appear as a credible source. 

Looking at his own NES A to Z Guides, of which he had full control over:

Rad Racer-had no idea it was originally released as Highway Star or had a 3D mode. 

Addams Family - gave it the same generic review across all console and home computer formats, making no attempt to point out the embryotic RPG elements. 

Bubble Bobble - another generic review, no mention of the extra 13 levels or Super Bubble Bobble mode

Seemed amazed Supremacy could be done on the 8-bit NES in 1993.. yet the humble Commodore 64 had a conversion in 1991

Sorry Brett, but his personal experience is pityful. 

Many publishers have openly admitted just how hard it is to find writers for their projects, RetroGamer Magazine itself admitted Kieren was used to cover Atari systems and obscure companies as nobody else wanted to write about them. 

I'm sure he can hit a word count, deliver to a deadline etc, but aren't you looking for writers with real, first hand experience, a real passion for the NES, a sense of understanding, personal flair etc in this book? 

• Like 1

Should do a separate thread for evidence you really, really don't want Kieren as a NES writer, but... 

I watched this video on Facebook and thought it was quite insulting. Like the NES ruled the world and if you don't own one then you are not a proper collector or retro gamer which is total rubbish. I hate this misinformed opinion that the NES was king when in the UK, Europe, Australia and South America it was a total non-event.

When I was at school if you told somebody you owned an NES they would laugh at you and walk away . . . .

Edited July 18, 2010 by The_Laird

NES Vs. Master System Sales - Rest Of World

By The_Laird, July 25, 2010 in Classic Gaming General

I am just starting this topic to prove to atarilovesyou (funny name for such a massive NES fan ;) ) that the Sega Master System beat the NES with ease outside the markets of North America and Japan.

As we know in other markets Nintendo couldn't enforce their unfair market tactics (which were illegal) and so had to fight on a level playing field against the SMS and Atari consoles.

Its pretty hard to find any sales figures to back this up, even though its well known, although I did find the following article:

NES Sales

Nintendo only shipped 8.56m NES consoles in non-Americas & Japan regions. That figure has been topped by both SNES and Wii in Others as well as Nintendos portables and numerous platforms from rival companies.

Thats shipped and not sold and taking into account how large an area that covers that just shows how poor sales figures were in other regions versus North America and Japan.

I found links that quote that the Master System sold just 1.5 million in North America

SMS Sales North America

* Unit sales of video game systems in North America to date: Sega Master System 1.5 million, Sega Genesis 19 million, Saturn 1 million, [378.59]

The widely quoted official sales figure for the SMS worldwide is 13 million but does not include the Majesco or Tectoy produced models which were sold in Europe and South America. Without them this leaves a figure of 11.5 million which includes Japan where I believe they a superior version of the SMS with a different name anyway. Its also worth noting that the NES did very well in other parts of Asia which is quoted within the 8.56 million figure.

I know that in the UK and Europe the SMS was supported up until 1996, the NES had been dropped many years before. I myself worked for Game in the UK during 1993/1994 and we were still selling a ton of SMS systems and games but no longer sold the NES.

Edited July 25, 2010 by The_Laird

post-16579-127947516014_thumb.jpg

•  

Geez, Laird talks bad about the NES sometimes and you don't see me calling him out. :roll:

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 1

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:11 am

I am getting sick and tired off hearing about the Nintendo
trolling that goes on this forum. You're all supposed to be adult men and yet you're acting like little kids. We get it people like Halcyon Daze, DreamcastRIP and The Laird don't like Nintendo. Just deal with it and accept that some people do. If you don't like Nintendo then stay out of the threads and stop winding people up. I've had five people the last week say they are leaving because of the aggressive bullying on this forum. And it is bullying no matter how you want to dress it up.

From now on there will be no playing nice. If you start threads or start trolling for no other reason than to wind people up you will be banned for a week. I don't care if you're a freelancer, or a forum regular. You're out of here. I've been way too lenient in the past, but it's time to do something about it.

His own posts and his old Boss Brett, nobody can claim he's being set up or misrepresented here. 

He has a recorded history of being Anti-Nintendo. 

If RVG hadn't deleted his posts when he rage quit there, you'd be seeing a lot more examples. 

Edited by Lost Dragon
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Probably a better place to put these links. These are to interviews with KH where he explains his console history, you may notice that Nintendo is lacking.

The first link is from this year while the second is from 2014, that way you can't say they were a one off mistake.

Retro hour broadcast (episode 205)

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hdWRpb2Jvb20uY29tL2NoYW5uZWxzLzQ5NzA3NjkucnNz&ep=14&episode=dGFnOmF1ZGlvYm9vbS5jb20sMjAyMC0wMS0wMzovcG9zdHMvNzQ2OTA1Ng&pe=1&pep=1655065

(74 minutes in, antic podcast from 2014)

https://podbay.fm/podcast/663593797/e/1409277390

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Welshworrier said:

Probably a better place to put these links. These are to interviews with KH where he explains his console history, you may notice that Nintendo is lacking.

The first link is from this year while the second is from 2014, that way you can't say they were a one off mistake.

Retro hour broadcast (episode 205)

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9hdWRpb2Jvb20uY29tL2NoYW5uZWxzLzQ5NzA3NjkucnNz&ep=14&episode=dGFnOmF1ZGlvYm9vbS5jb20sMjAyMC0wMS0wMzovcG9zdHMvNzQ2OTA1Ng&pe=1&pep=1655065

(74 minutes in, antic podcast from 2014)

https://podbay.fm/podcast/663593797/e/1409277390

They simply join his old RG Forum posts as he himself openly acknowledging just how limited his NES experience is. 

As i said before, it was an eyebrow raiser to read him admit in his own A to Z book, his review of Jaguar Zero 5 was based on watching someone else play the game. 

Now his Nintendo credentials are playing it at a "friend's"  house and spending years mocking the system online. 

Cue him now presenting himself as Da Man for genuine NES reviews. 

His own PDF A to Z NES guides must be selling great if he needs to add his opinions to someone else's NES guide. 

Competing with himself here. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 12:01 AM, 8bitgamer said:

Ha! He hates Nintendo with a passion, you have been duped, sir.
Authenticity and Kieren Hawken are not two things that belong together.

On 6/12/2020 at 4:16 AM, CyranoJ said:

We have a winner. 

Edited by Guest
Added quote

On 6/12/2020 at 4:27 AM, 8bitgamer said:

My reputation is fine. 

I'm sorry, Brett. I don't know you from Adam. I see you have written a lot of books, played a lot of games, been freelance since what, the mid 90s? Fair play, but you just tanked your reputation in one swift swoop.

Oh yes, complete fabrications. I can't think of many who HATE the NES more than him. Go do some journalistic research?

That means nothing. I've been working on a book since 1995, does that mean that you are exempt from criticism? Of course not. I take it you have reviewed games? If Team 17 said to you, but we wrote... what does that mean? Nothing.

So, peace out.  

Cheap cop-out, catch-all, get-out-of-jail-free card nonsense. You live in the world, you make your own judgment calls. You decide who you do or do not work with, you have autonomy over your own actions. There is no dispute here, this guy is a bully, a misogynist, a homophobe and all round despicable excuse for a human being.

How could I (or anyone else for that matter) take anything you say seriously in your books when I know that you have hired someone who knows literally *nothing about games, coding, hardware and yet claims to know everything and every game.

You sound like an actor who just got made for working with Roman Polański or Woody Allen.

You've now got blood on your hands now, and you, I have to infer, are as bad as him.

Your one motivation must be for financial gain above all else.

Well done!
Good luck to you. I had wish-listed a number of your books for Christmas, but they're gone now.