IGNORED

Sega game gear no sound

Ok so I recently picked up a Sega game gear and I heard alot about the caps going bad on them. Well I ended up replacing all the caps on the main,sound and the power boards. And everything works but the sound. It dose however make a constant clicking sounds when you turn the volume up. Is there any idea what it could be? I've already ruled out it's something on the main board cuz when I switched the power supply and the sound board to another game gear it all worked fine. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, because you have 2 or more Game Gears, the problem will be a little bit easier to find. I'm not clear as to how you ruled in/out the main board. Did you move the newly recapped power and audio boards to another GG and then everything was fine or did you move other, currently working, power and audio boards to the new recapped main board?

The clicks when you turn the volume wheel either up or down mean that there's probably some dirt, corrosion, or oxidation in the volume pot. This is common and some DeoxIT or other electrical cleaning solution will help with this.

So the Game Gear (recapped) that doesn't have sound - has never had working sound (even when you put a known working sound board in). And, your recapped sound board, when put into another game gear, works fine. Is that correct? What about the headphones port, do you hear any audio? It could be that the speaker is not working 100%.

Ok, so if both working and non working sound boards produce the same problem, then you're right it's probably the main board that's the problem. Low sound has usually been an electrolytic capacitor issue, but it may be one of the ceramic SMD caps. The clicking is interesting. Are the clicks regular? That is, do they sound like they are 1 second apart (or 1/2 second or anything regular)? If they are regular and not random, that sounds like a capacitor wave (charging and discharging) and the clicks you hear are when the capacitor is probably at full charge and releasing... I'd also wonder if the "clicks" are just the audio at full volume for a fraction of a second. That would make it harder to tell if the clicks are random because if it's what I'm describing, you would hear the clicks during normal game audio, but not when the game has no audio or low audio.

One thing I'd definitely do is to reflow the solder joints on the main board connector cable (that goes to the audio board) ... just to rule that out.

It could be. Usually, these circuit boards have the components near the system they are controlling. So, the sound stuff would be near the sound connection, and the video stuff would be around the screen, etc... (when possible). If the clicking is regular, then it really does look like a bad cap or solder joint (not one you replaced unless you see some issue). Corrosion is caused by many things but for the electrolytic capacitors, it's obviously the fluid. Ceramic caps shouldn't have corrosion around them, but may have some form of oxidation. I don't think the ceramic cap is bad, but it could be. I'd start by reflowing any cap that looks bad and even the ones that look good. Cold solder joints do not always look bad from the outside. Sometimes they look perfectly fine, but have internal cracks, etc...

The SMD caps are usually light brown, beige, terracotta colors. The SMD resistors are black and have numbers on them (but it seems like the caps are what you need to look at). Pics attached. The pictures are from a VA1 twin ASIC Game Gear, yours might be different. But that's the general idea. They are all labeled with C##, like C79, C25, etc...

SS02.jpg

SS01.jpg

Edited by gamegrid2084
clarification

No, that would be way too time consuming. It'd be cheaper to get a new broken Game Gear and recap that one. I'm suggesting reflowing the solder joints on the SMD caps near the sound board. If you send me a picture of your current main board that is not working (and a close up of the sound area like my pic), I can tell you where to start. Not all those caps have anything to do with sound, but some do.

Plus, many of the SMD ceramic caps are less than 1nF. So, unless you have a really good multimeter that can measure in the pF range, it would do you no good.

Edited by gamegrid2084

Thanks for the image. I can see that this is a VA1 single ASIC board. I see the caps that you have replaced, but did you do anything else on the board (like with the other, smaller components)? It appears that someone has had a go at this board before (which could make this a lot more difficult). I put arrows on your image showing what looks to be someone tinkering with this GG before. First, there is a blob of solder on C35 (the top arrow). That capacitor has nothing to do with sound, it helps control the d-pad "right" direction. Second, one side of both R10 and R11 look to be shorted together (bottom arrow). R10 and R11 are supposed to be shorted on that side, but this does not look like factory soldering. Those are only 2 examples of what looks like someone else tinkering with this board. The other image is one of my similar boards. It's not recapped, but you can see where the components are very aligned and look to be soldered by the factory and not otherwise touched. For all we know, the previous person had the same problem and was trying to fix it.

Having said that, nothing stands out as obviously bad on the board. In this case, I would test everything (check the resistors, components, voltages, and connections near the small IC4, the one with the numbers 358 on it, lower right of your image). I'm not sure if the clicking is the only problem or just an additional problem, but one thing at a time... I put 4 red dots on 4 capacitors of which I would reflow the solder connections. Working back from the sound board connector, those are the first 4 caps that the Left and Right channels interact with. It's unlikely that this will do anything, but it's good to be sure of certain things as you work back from the sound board connector.

The website console5.com has good Sega Game Gear schematics to go by if you want to really get into tracking the problem down.

SS03.jpg

SS04.jpg

Edited by gamegrid2084

I did see those 2 things you pointed out and I know that the 2 resistors were like that from day one but I know the blob of solder was from me from trying to reflow afew components. But so your saying to test every in that area? One other thing is it sound like it's like high frequency sounds when you turn it up like it will get to the point of getting to hi it clicks but yah that's what it sounds like 

Edited by kevincondrick@gmail.com

Well, I would test what I can going back from the sound connector (using the schematics as a guide). Resistors would be easy to check, caps would be too hard because some of them are very low capacitance (pF) and, besides having to remove them to test, most multimeters wouldn't be able to detect their value. In this working-backwards order, I would test and reflow components as I go and then test the GG to see if/what happens.

Another reason I think someone may have previously messed with this GG for the exact same reason you are experiencing is that pins 1 & 2 of the little IC4 are intentionally shorted with solder (unless you did this). Again, they should be shorted, but that's not what the factory would do.

In any case, the 4 capacitors I marked before are the first in line to be checked.

SS05.thumb.jpg.5edbeb80678d7b88c41f6632f308a0bd.jpg

Yeah, everything you need to know is in the service manual at console5.com:

https://console5.com/wiki/File:Service_Manual_-_Game_Gear_VA1.pdf

Specifically for those 4 caps, they are all 1uF 16V. But you'd have to remove them to properly test them. With broken Game Gears so cheap, I'd get another broken one before I started removing SMDs to test them. I'd trace, reflow components, and check resistor values, but beyond that I'd make it a parts unit.

I did however test after I took each out I took #1out and it seams like it didn't do the clicking anymore. Then I tryed a game but it still had no sound. So then I replaced it with one from another gg and it went back to the same result as before. So then I replaced #2 and tested it when it was out I tryed it but the clicking was there but it seamed to do it like 3 or 4 times real fast then stop. But then I put in another one from that other gg and back to the original.... So something to do with that circuit? Any more ideas?

15929487807866776656133880421155.thumb.jpg.40c2891d3e8f4d4140d7d2b242a49765__01.jpg

Well, like I said, I probably would get a broken Game Gear before swapping out SMDs. Just use the main board from a broken one and move your new caps to that one and use this GG main board as a parts board. I can't tell exactly from the picture, but it looks like the soldering near #1 and your new cap are all shorting together.

At this point, i would probably suggest not trying to transfer or replace any more SMDs. If you'd like, I'd be happy to take a look at the board. Message me if you're interested.