IGNORED

PhillyClassic Website Hacked!

Ed Siegler

AFAIK all the promotional advertising mentioned the cost in it. Or at least, it was provided. Those who reported the story or ran the press release may not have included it. In any case, I don't see how many people could have just "run across it," and if you showed up at the door it was pretty easy to explain what it was and you could see the arcade  8)  

Lowering the price IS good. Only if it draws more attendees, though. I thought the price point was pretty fair.

Well, I do admit that the VF convention center isn't something one stumbles across on a walk. But, what about the people attending the computer show next door? How many of them decided against coming in because of the price? How many people read the ads in the paper and decided against it when they found out it would cost $60 to bring the whole family?

Again, just thoughts - but were I not a devoted gamer, the price would have put ME off.

Well, I do admit that the VF convention center isn't something one stumbles across on a walk.  But, what about the people attending the computer show next door?  How many of them decided against coming in because of the price?  How many people read the ads in the paper and decided against it when they found out it would cost $60 to bring the whole family?

Again, just thoughts - but were I not a devoted gamer, the price would have put ME off.

All good points. But for the most part I don't think PC is intended for the average joe looking to take his kids out for the afternoon. And that's part of the appeal. It's "The East Coast Classic Gamer's Event." Casual gamers really aren't the targer audience.

If PC wants to appeal to that larger audience (and if recent events are any indication, they do) then the price MUST drop for it to be successful.

The whois says phillyclassic/david newman - last update 2/2003. I checked netsol and godaddy. Not that it's not obviously a cheap hack, who cares, etc. Of course, they'd prob' be wise not to host their webserver on their primary nameserver.

ADMIN EDIT: While this is public information that can be found elsewhere, I have removed it out on request of privacy. I hope you all can understand.

I may be just some n00b in here, but something doesn't seem right. For instance, who the hell do you think you are by throwing out someone else's personal information out online like this? There's a reason people don't do this crap to each other. That reason, and I'm going to use small words, just so you can understand me, is that anyone can do anything with that information. People just plain don't do that sh*t to each other.

I happen to know as a certainty that you've violated at least one federal law, and, most likely, a few rules in the ToS that you agreed to follow when you joined these forums. So, i ask one more time. For the record, exactly who the hell do you think you are to do that?

You owe this David Newman an apology. Plain and simple. And, not one of those horsesh*t apologies tht people do these days. He deserves a real, heartfelt apology that you seem to be too damn immature to ever form. Grow up. People like you are why people don't join message boards.

Well, I got this from him (sent to everyone on the PC list, so I'm guessing that it's OK to reprint it) :

To: phillyclassic@yahoogroups.com

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:57:25 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: [phillyclassic] Website

Hi everyone:

By now, there's been such a whirlwind over this incident... We're on it,

and will update you as things develop.

-- David

I'd expect the same statement from corporate WWE about Linda McMahon being attacked by Kane. (In other words, this BS is meaningless, no offense Dave. Give us a REAL answer, not an "update as things develop.")

Well I hate to sound like the cynic here but I have lost just bout all interest in going to PC5/gamejam or whatever the hell they wanna call this thing.

I'm sad to say this cause I had such a GREAT time and met so many great people at PC4 but the longer this whole "hacked" thing last the more I am losing interest in the whole event.

I guess there will be AGE next year to go to, right AL? :wink:

I think, sometimes we are taking our hobby way too serious.
If you think *this* is serious, my father is a Civil War recreationist complete with authentic uniform and equipment - period correct and everything - and I have several friends in the Society for Creative Anachronism. THAT, my friend, is taking a hobby too seriously. :D

How many new members has this topic netted AA so far? :lol:

:D :D :D I was thinking the same thing.....and they all seem to be in favor of whatever PC/GameJam is doing! Good deal for them!

Yeah,yeah this is generating alot of *cough* buzz..... if you want to even say that, but not everyone believes that ol' "there is no such thing as negative publicity"

I have several friends in the Society for Creative Anachronism. THAT, my friend, is taking a hobby too seriously.  :D

SCA are pricks. I tried hanging with those cats when I lived in Michigan, but they push re-creation beyond recreation into a place where it's not even for fun any more, and they are a bunch of racist bigots to boot. I wouldn't even begin to compare anybody in PC to them, that's too low to go in my book.

I've been saying that for a long time now and evertime I do I get evil stares thrown in my direction. Honestly people, everyone just needs to lighten up!

Tempest

Well..this is all being done in Fun now....if you take another look at the page. All the demands were changed again. Now it must take place in Little Rock Arkansas...and within the year of 1969 or something like that. I am starting to get amused by this now...

:D

I agree! Time to just "push away" folks!

-- posted this on the PhillyClassic Group at Yahoo too --

It was mostly a reply to Ed Siegler...

While the VF is a pretty nice place to hold a show - unless you have access to a car there is nothing to do in KofP after 9:00pm. The lodging options are weak as well as the eateries.

As for cost issues, I would swear that the "hacker" mentioned cutting the admission cost in 1/2. So, even if the show were to move into the center of Philly it won't cost you any more to attend - prolly even less (I'm guessing by 1/2 to be exact). As for your concerns regarding the higher costs to run the show in "downtown Philly" - I imagine that PC dev. team is very thankful for your concern.

My hats off to the geniuses behind the scenes for building excitement about the show at this stage. I would recommend sitting back, putting you feet up, sharpen you Warlord skills and enjoy the ride. And if that can't happen - then email David and Co. and see how you can be involved in the planning committee (pony up some $$$ to have a say? ;)

If you attended PC4 last year, I'm betting you'll attend PC? this year too!

Hey y'all.

While everyone here is discussing the firestorm that is PC5 - let's not take anything away from this weekends AGE show!

From everything they have listed on their site (http://www.austingamingexpo.com/) this looks like it will be a fantastic show.

Great sponsors, guests, tournaments and all for a GREAT price. Very professional indeed! (are the other "shows" taking notes??)

My hats off to the entire team at AGE for bringing this all together. The "classic gaming" circut could use another classy show! The more the merrier!

Can't wait to hear the response, read to (tall) tales, see the pics! Kick ass guys!