IGNORED

PhillyClassic Website Hacked!

Ed Siegler

I can now confirm that Wayne Newton has agreed to play 8 hours straight of Atari E.T. with any and all comers, prizes to be determined by our crack staff of expo namers.

I have to warn you ahead of time that Wayne plays a mean E.T... Plus he drinks heavily and has been known to bully his opponents and insult their mothers.

In other news the classic game re-creationists will be re-enacting the battle of Galaga.

Due to tougher security restrictions at the West Philadelphia High School Basketball Gymnasium, any sarcasm that is dripping, will have to be checked at the door and those possessing sour grapes will be subjected to a cavity search.

__

T.P.R.

Central Scrutinizer

phillyclassic.com

Well, I got this from him (sent to everyone on the PC list, so I'm guessing that it's OK to reprint it) :

To: phillyclassic@yahoogroups.com

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:57:25 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: [phillyclassic] Website

Hi everyone:

By now, there's been such a whirlwind over this incident... We're on it,

and will update you as things develop.

-- David

I'd expect the same statement from corporate WWE about Linda McMahon being attacked by Kane. (In other words, this BS is meaningless, no offense Dave. Give us a REAL answer, not an "update as things develop.")

I think everyone is kinda jumping the gun here.... They haven't made any "official" announcement, seems like they were preparing for something and website checkers caught them off guard during the PC site updates...

Lets hold off on assumptions, conspiracy theories and such and wait to till David, Nate and the rest of the gang over at Phillyclassic make some kind of official announcement, press release whatever...

Curt

Lets hold off on assumptions, conspiracy theories and such and wait to till David, Nate and the rest of the gang over at Phillyclassic make some kind of official announcement, press release whatever...

Curt

Oh, they're certainly making announcements over on DP, Curt. Swing by and read the fun!

:roll: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic....=16259&start=49

Curt

Oh, they're certainly making announcements over on DP, Curt. Swing by and read the fun!

:roll: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic....=16259&start=49

Just went over and read, ummmmm, yikes!!! Uh oh.... somebody pass out the fire extinquishers.... quick! Damage Control teams to decks 5 & 6, jettison the warp core!!! Red alert, Red Alert....

Curt

"Danger! Danger Will Robinson!"

<arms begin twirling>

It's a shame. There are still people posting to the Phillyclassic Yahoo Group that are *outraged* that some "snot-nosed punk" hacked their website, unknowing that the ORGANIZERS are responsible for this. I'd post there and let everyone know what's going on - pointing links to here and DP - but it's a moderated group and my posts would never see the light of day. Amazing. :roll:

By all means, then, save it up and come to OKGE 2004.  Assuming Crossbow's already planning ahead.   :D

Or better yet, Midwest Classic 2004.

midwest needs to be more than a single day before i can justify traveling to it ^^

That's why he said 2004 ;)

Lots more info will be coming soon...

By all means, then, save it up and come to OKGE 2004.  Assuming Crossbow's already planning ahead.   :D

Or better yet, Midwest Classic 2004.

midwest needs to be more than a single day before i can justify traveling to it ^^

That's why he said 2004 ;)

Lots more info will be coming soon...

If all goes well on my side, VGS'04 might be happening too.

(Dan, let me know when you get your info on MWC'04 straightned out

I might be able to come again(unless Safeway decides to close out Domicinks for good(Our contact expires tomarrow :( )

Dan I

All this is really doing is killing ANY interest I had in PC5 or any other classic gaming show.   :x  :sad:  

especially after reading that DP thread. :roll:  :sad:

I couldn't even FOLLOW that mess. :(

The longer David waits to come out and explain what happens, one way or the other, the worse off things are going to be. I wish he'd realize that.

:sad:

Yup, "Sinistarr," "Ruddygore," and "Nate_Brazil" have really stepped in it. I *pray* that they're just trolls and not the actual organizers who have taken this antagonistic, arrogant attitude. But, according to a private message I've gotten from one of 'em, I'm certain it's the guys behind PC5. *sigh*

Don't sweat other classic cons Stan, my man (good to see you again)! There's AGE going on now. There's CGE in two weeks. There's CinciClassic and Midwest Classic and the Videogame Summit and a BUNCH of other meets to choose from. All attended by the very folks you pal around with here. The hobby is in fine shape. The meetings and expos are going on as planned and just as friendly as ever. And one less won't make a hill of beans' difference. ;)

Yeah, Snider-man, I know, but all I really want to do is play video games, talk about video games, and hang out with people who like video games. All this other stuff is just irrelevant bullpoop that clouds up what I otherwise find as fun. :x :x

What's the deal with Cinci anyway, I cannot get ahold of Bill or Matt and the site has not been updated in TOO long! :? :? :?

Yeah, Snider-man, I know, but all I really want to do is play video games, talk about video games, and hang out with people who like video games.  All this other stuff is just irrelevant bullpoop that clouds up what I otherwise find as fun. :x  :x  

What's the deal with Cinci anyway, I cannot get ahold of Bill or Matt and the site has not been updated in TOO long! :?  :?  :?

You know, I'm not sure! :? I've just assumed that the show was still coming up. After all, it wasn't until nearly a month prior that they confirmed it was happening. But with all the construction the mall was undergoing last year, they may not be able to hold it. That would suck.

BTW, in September, we're holding a DP at CP '03 meet. Cedar Point. Videogamers invited from all the boards. Massive roller coaster riding. Hitting the CP Midway Arcade. It's may not be CinciClassic, but it'll be a fun time. Watch for a post-CGE announcement.

Well, I read through that mess on DP again and I still have no idea what to make of it.

I was one of the staff members at the last two PC's, and none of the organizers have told me a damn thing. I'm a bit irritated about that, but it's not my event, so I suppose I'm not entitled to any inside information.

I think we have to give David and the rest of the crew the benefit of the doubt until we know for sure. I've seen the way this community can turn en masse on someone and David does not deserve that. Regardless of what is being done with the Philly Classic NOW, he's largely responsible for bringing us the first 4, and for that he deserves some respect.

I think we have to give David and the rest of the crew the benefit of the doubt until we know for sure. I've seen the way this community can turn en masse on someone and David does not deserve that. Regardless of what is being done with the Philly Classic NOW, he's largely responsible for bringing us the first 4,  and for that he deserves some respect.

I agree 100% with Xot here. It is ridiculous and pathetic seeing people go apeshit and turn on David and pulling wild and crazy assumptions out of their asses. It is also sickening to see people post about how harsh criticism of homebrew authors and designers is not right, yet some of these very same people are doing the same thing, if not worse, to David and the other Philly Classic organizers. Stop being a bunch of idiots and treat everyone the same. David and the rest of the guys tried a marketing ploy that I thought was clever because it got everyone talking about the site and coming back to the site to stay updated. It's a much more clever ploy than some that I've seen other sites do.

And some of you really really need to get out more. You are taking this hobby way too seriously. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Here's my view on the whole thing. As far as changing it to include modern systems, while it may piss some people off, I can understand completely why they would do it. There are quite a few classic gamers as you can tell from Atari Age and Digital Press, but overall, we're a small minority. If you can include modern games in there, you've got a ton more people who would come to your show and the chances of you making some of your money back is quite a bit greater. These shows cost a lot of money for the organizers and it's nice to be able to pay yourself back. So the people that are upset over that, need to either start their own gaming expo and realize how much money they're gonna pay out of pocket, or they need to get over it.

Now, onto giving the organizers of PC the benefit of the doubt. Give me a break. This has been floating around for at least a week now. They're obviously behind this or the site would've been changed back. They haven't made any statements to their supporters and sponsors other than "we'll give you more info later". Fuck that. You either fucked up and started this ignorant marketing ploy or you didn't. You can go into details later, but at least tell them that much.

And if the moron that's going on DP posting as the PC organizer is really him, then his shitty attitude is enough for me not to ever want to attend this show.

Yeah, Snider-man, I know, but all I really want to do is play video games, talk about video games, and hang out with people who like video games.  All this other stuff is just irrelevant bullpoop that clouds up what I otherwise find as fun. :x  :x  

What's the deal with Cinci anyway, I cannot get ahold of Bill or Matt and the site has not been updated in TOO long! :?  :?  :?

You know, I'm not sure! :? I've just assumed that the show was still coming up. After all, it wasn't until nearly a month prior that they confirmed it was happening. But with all the construction the mall was undergoing last year, they may not be able to hold it. That would suck.

BTW, in September, we're holding a DP at CP '03 meet. Cedar Point. Videogamers invited from all the boards. Massive roller coaster riding. Hitting the CP Midway Arcade. It's may not be CinciClassic, but it'll be a fun time. Watch for a post-CGE announcement.

I'll by draggin my ass out there, and no, I'm afraid I won't be giving autographs. :P

Allright.. I have the simple solution to everyones problem..

we kill Philly classic all together.. then start up a new cnvention in richmond that will include all concepts of electronic gaming from classic consoles and arcades, to modern... now we move it fromthe north east to the central south east..

thats right.. we move it to Richmond Virginia.. where yer able to travel in on I-95 and its less than 24 hours driving time from the furthest point north, or south along this interstate.

of course.. this is most convient for me, trey, yarsrevengefan, and cassidy nolan. now the rest of y'all will have to travel.. and I'll make it so the event incompasses all facets, in a unbiased and equal way.. loads of resturants in richmond.. fun stuff to see and doo.. and the hotel rates will numb you with thier prices

Just as an update, I got a message back from David by e-mail that said don't worry, we're not changing the PhillyClassic, GameJam doesn't exist, everything's a-okay. I won't reprint it without his permission but it made me feel a whole lot better about attending the next PC.

thats right.. we move it to Richmond Virginia.. where yer able to travel in on I-95 and its less than 24 hours driving time from the furthest point north, or south along this interstate.

I don't know if I-95 is the same in Virginia as it is in the northern states but being able to travel on I-95 is in no way a good, better, or even an OK thing. Basicly in New England and some of the states below it, you do everything to avoid I-95. When I go to Philly each year I travel on a number of different state routes and highways just to avoid it. Yes, I-95 is a shorter distance but with all the traffic you usually encounter, you could be adding double the time it would take you than alternative routes. I-95 is evil. Evil, I say!

Allan