IGNORED

PhillyClassic Website Hacked!

Ed Siegler

There are few things more fun in life than either A) being stuck in traffic in Connecticut on 95 or B) nearly getting run off the road by a convoy of 18 tractor trailers on 95.

OK, actually there's a LOT of things more fun in life. Like just about anything.

"Marketing Ploy"?

Holy cow. All I did was change the PC website. I didn't send out any e-mails to our mailing list, I didn't contact any media or other gaming news sites, I just revealed some half baked graphics we had for a traveling road expo that DOES NOT EXIST, slapped up some really funny [in an ironic way] rants that were nothing more than silly banter making fun of some of the more amusing complaints we get on the yahoo group and generally having a good time thinking I was poking fun at the otherwise austere exterior of the classic gaming community .

In the immortal words of Steve Martin: "Well, EXCUUUUUUZE MEEEEEEEE!"

Why I or David should feel compelled to answer to what basically turned into an old fashioned witch hunt is something I'm still wondering about. The irony is that we were making fun of the very kinds of things you guys accused us of doing... WHICH WE NEVER DID!!

Now, for the record [which you could have gotten had you simply contacted us directly as some did]. There is no game jam, there was no 'ploy', nothing you love about philly classic is changing, in fact MORE of what you love will be in place at numero five.

I will say that David and I felt quite strongly from the very beginning that we did not want to put out any real information regarding PC5 until after AGE and CGE...

OUT OF RESPECT!!!

I'm standing by that and you will not hear a peep out of us until late August, early September.

As for all the "fuck yous", insults and general disrespect that we did not earn from any of you, you keep that to yourselves. David and I don't deserve it.

-Mark Wolfe

Producer/Organizer

phillyclassic.com

mark@phillyclassic.com

I've said it before and I'll say it again - after the assurances I got from David by e-mail, I'll be MORE than happy to attend the next Philly Classic. However even if the "hack" was intended as a joke, not a publicity stunt, it seems to be a joke that went over pretty badly - or was only funny to people "in the know" as opposed to those of us who just attend the PC and don't organize it. I think both sides overreacted in the aftermath and all I'd really like to see is everybody take a deep breath and relax. It's a hobby. It's supposed to be for fun. I don't just go to these cons for the games, I also go to see people, hang out, and have fun. And let me just say personally to all the organizers of the next Philly Classic, you can all have a beer on me and the Mrs. :thumbsup:

I'm going to take you up on that beer as soon as I belabor a point a bit...

Many people got the joke that were not in the know, in fact only a very small percentage of people got pissed. It's the pissed people who were most vocal about things unfortunately. ALL of our sponsors [the only people who really do have any sort of "ownership"] either got it right away, didn't even notice, or have since been enlightened as to the illegitimacy of the claims of but a few people.

Now about that beer.... tall, dark and cold please ;)

-M

I've said it before and I'll say it again - after the assurances I got from David by e-mail, I'll be MORE than happy to attend the next Philly Classic.  

Hey, Flash. I know that this is waaaaay early, but be sure to drop me a line before finalizing your travel/accommodation plans for the next PC.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - after the assurances I got from David by e-mail, I'll be MORE than happy to attend the next Philly Classic.  

Hey, Flash. I know that this is waaaaay early, but be sure to drop me a line before finalizing your travel/accommodation plans for the next PC.

Can I contact you too about my plans as well??

I plan on attending and working the show again next year as well. If I have anything to say there will be a Dance Dance Revolution tournament to commemorate one year of my life I've wasted on that game :music:

In all seriousness I'm prepared to start taking suggestions for the event, especially ones regarding my areas of expertise (the auction and tournaments), now.

Fire away!

Hey, Flash.  I know that this is waaaaay early, but be sure to drop me a line before finalizing your travel/accommodation plans for the next PC.

Of course. That was always in the back of my mind. It didn't seem quite the same to be playing Atari in our hotel room in Austin withoutcha! :P

Can I contact you too about my plans as well??

Absolutely. I think the Mrs and I would love to see more of you and of Philly. :) I wonder if it will fall on a PPV again this year. *srednop*

I also look forward to seeing David Newman, Xot, ChickyBaby, z28in82, and the entire cast of AtariAge loons that are at every con we go to. 2003 may have been the first time, but 2004 will feel like old times. :D

Did I read... correctly .. BIG ASSES on TV's???

NOW that we've elevated the discussion to a level where I'm comfortable jumping into the fray... err, YES! That's exactly what PC5 will be all about.

(and people called that previous thing a publicity stunt!!)

-- David

-- -- -- -- -- --

David Newman, Founder

.:. PhillyClassic .:.

Do You Like Video Games?

http://www.phillyclassic.com

-- -- -- -- -- --

NOW that we've elevated the discussion to a level where I'm comfortable jumping into the fray... err, YES! That's exactly what PC5 will be all about.

-- David

So Dave... will the title be PC5 - Home Of The Big Asses?

-- David

-- -- -- -- -- --

David Newman, Founder

.:. PhillyClassic .:.

Do You Like Video Games?

http://www.phillyclassic.com

-- -- -- -- -- --

Yes, 'big asses' is a nice, comfortable fray, and I suppose comfortable on the tail bone on long trips. :D

Allan

David, it disturbs me greatly that THIS is the entry point you feel comfortable with. :roll: :twisted:

You mind if you and I work seperate tables this year? ;)