IGNORED

Command Line Tools

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, joeyaage said:

Help I can't use the USB port of my JagGD. I have a USB cable plugged in to a windows 7 laptop. The device is recognised as "Retro HQ JagGD" but windows cannot find any drivers!

If it recognises, as it does, drivers have been installed. Have you run the command line tools?

Just now, joeyaage said:

The device says there is a problem <!> (yelllow triangle) and reports error code 20 (drivers not installed). Windows searches and cannot find them.

Yes I have tried the command line tools and it reports JagGD not connected!

Aha, ok. Try using Zadig -- https://zadig.akeo.ie/

The JagGD just uses standard WinUSB drivers, try reinstalling them using Zadig.

I have had issues like this, but it doesn't seem consistent. Windows should have the correct drivers, as it's literally just a standard windows USB device!

I tried using Zadig before after trying to get my windows 10 thinkpad working with my skunkboard. I tried following CJ's instructions but to be honest rushed it before understanding what i was doing. I now have a bricked skunkboard!!

I have tried 2 different leads also.

I could try a different windows system. Wibndows 8.1 or Windows 10 available but I prefer my Windows 7 laptop for development.

37 minutes ago, joeyaage said:

I now have a bricked skunkboard!!

Before everyone starts getting scared of Zadig, it's very, very hard to brick a skunkboard on accident. Will it truely not boot (no green screen on the Jaguar) or is it just that your PC won't recognize or talk to it via JCP? If it's the former, anyone with a BJL system (like me) can restore it unless it has also been physically damaged. If it's the latter, it's not bricked, and very likely sorting the drivers out will get it working again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cubanismo said:

Before everyone starts getting scared of Zadig, it's very, very hard to brick a skunkboard on accident. Will it truely not boot (no green screen on the Jaguar) or is it just that your PC won't recognize or talk to it via JCP? If it's the former, anyone with a BJL system (like me) can restore it unless it has also been physically damaged. If it's the latter, it's not bricked, and very likely sorting the drivers out will get it working again.

The USB connection is for dev work on the JagGD. You CANNOT brick the JagGD by any means, so don't worry about it.

• Thanks 1

Okay I understand zadig a bit better now. It just replaces windows drivers.

Zadig recognises Retro HQ Jaguar gamedrive (Interface0 and Interface 1). ie, windows thinks there are two devices in the one Retro HQ jaguar gamedrive device. Interface 0 accepts the WCID driver whilst Interface 1 only lets you install the basic driver. I have tried both types of WinUSB driver (version 6 something). Zadig times out from the driver installation as a FAIL. I have tried multiple times and once had to reboot and discovered that the base drivers had been installed and the device was reported as working! However, JagGD.exe reported that the device is not connected ???.

I also have tried my PC (Windows 8.1) in different USB ports and the device does not even recognise. (It may have been in device manager but there was nothing on the control panel).

Now windows has drivers you might want to uninstall the JagGD then plug it in again, or swap USB ports which will also force it to search for suitable drivers again. As it’s a compound device I’m not sure about installing drivers separately to each interface, that may be the cause of the exe not finding it.

I know it does work in win7 and win10 as I’ve used it on both OS’s. I’ve not tried 8.1, but again, I’d assume it would work as it’s using a standard winusb driver.

4 hours ago, cubanismo said:

Hey, great news! My skunkboard (one of the polish copies - stretching the pins, gulp) is fully working on my windows 7 machine. Thanks cubanismo for spurring me on to try again.

5 minutes ago, joeyaage said:

one of the polish copies - stretching the pins, gulp

Sorry to continue hijacking, but yikes! If it really is a non-beveled PCB, take some time to gently sand a bevel onto it using some medium-grit sandpaper resting a hard surface (thin piece of plywood, a metal spatula, etc. Nothing fancy). Just hold it at roughly a 45 degree angle (Doesn't have to be perfect) against the edge of the cartridge PCB, go back and forth an inch or so about 3 times on each side of the PCB, look at it, repeat until it looks like a regular jag cart, then clean it thoroughly (soft cloth + isopropyl is best, a water-damp cloth will do in a pinch if you let it dry thoroughly afterwards) to get all the dust off before inserting it again.

Don't risk your Jag cart connector over it, especially as the stock of connectors seems to be drying up. I can still build more Skunkboards. I don't personally know how to build cartridge connectors.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

Sorry to continue hijacking, but yikes! If it really is a non-beveled PCB, take some time to gently sand a bevel onto it using some medium-grit sandpaper resting a hard surface (thin piece of plywood, a metal spatula, etc. Nothing fancy). Just hold it at roughly a 45 degree angle (Doesn't have to be perfect) against the edge of the cartridge PCB, go back and forth an inch or so about 3 times on each side of the PCB, look at it, repeat until it looks like a regular jag cart, then clean it thoroughly (soft cloth + isopropyl is best, a water-damp cloth will do in a pinch if you let it dry thoroughly afterwards) to get all the dust off before inserting it again.

Don't risk your Jag cart connector over it, especially as the stock of connectors seems to be drying up. I can still build more Skunkboards. I don't personally know how to build cartridge connectors.

There is some lovely bevelling on the corners but maybe the 2 top long edges could do with some bevelling. That polish skunkboard is a nightmare. Is it feasable to use the skunkboard components as a doner for a proper skunkboard PCB. Where did all those skunk PCB's on ebay go.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SainT said:

Sadly I've not implemented a debugger

I'd be happy to port my Jaguar GDB project (68k + JRISC source-level debugger) to Game Drive. It'd need serial read access in addition to the existing write access from the Jaguar side, and ideally a mini version of the GD library code so I could hide it all down below $2000 like I do on the Skunk. The GDB stub code itself is very small, $200-300 bytes IIRC.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cubanismo said:

and ideally a mini version of the GD library code so I could hide it all down below $2000 like I do on the Skunk

I went and looked at my code and did a little math. Assuming the send/receive routine wrapper code in the Jaguar-side GDB stub for GD ends up similar in size to the Skunk send/receive stuff, I could actually squeeze it all under 8k with the current 4k BIOS stub size. The current GDB stub code and all its scratch space for GPU/DSP regdump and breakpoint code takes just under 0xB00 bytes, so if I really compact it above the 0x400 of 68k interrupt vectors, I'll still have 0x1000 left for the GDBIOS region. Right now everything has a little extra padding to allow for future growth, so I'd just have to strip all that out and hope I never need more scratch memory 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1