IGNORED

Lines on CRT TV screen

insertclevernamehere

I recently picked up a crt tv on kijiji.  As you can see from the photo, I get these slightly diagonal lines.  They appear for a second, go away for a second and repeats this pattern the whole time it’s on.  I’ve had 2 Atari 2600 consoles plugged into the tv and  it’s the same with both.  Anybody know what it could be and if it can be easily fixed?

3232ED16-4EEF-4D32-BDC8-C637723F3FFF.jpeg

It could be interference - Most diagonal dots/ lines I've dealt with have been. The fan in my full house heater will do it sometimes.

Try moving the cable connectors to see if it changes. The connectors can develop loose solder joints and can make a problem worse.

You can also try shutting off everything with a 100ft (including wireless stuff) to see if that helps.

10 hours ago, H454 said:

It could be interference - Most diagonal dots/ lines I've dealt with have been. The fan in my full house heater will do it sometimes.

Try moving the cable connectors to see if it changes. The connectors can develop loose solder joints and can make a problem worse.

You can also try shutting off everything with a 100ft (including wireless stuff) to see if that helps.

I could check by turning off the wireless internet, which is just above me on the first floor.  If it's that though, I guess I'll just have to put up with it.  I can't exactly expect the rest of my family to go without internet while dad plays his Atari.  Especially as they're often watching Netflix at the same time.  Unfortunately Atari time is not family time.  No one else is interested.  Could it be interference from the console itself?  I wondered that with the Jr and put it on the lower shelf of my unit but it didn't make any difference.  Other than that, there's other things plugged in just behind it but none are actually on.

On 6/12/2020 at 7:34 AM, insertclevernamehere said:

Unfortunately I just have the 2600

You can pretty easily mod the 2600 for composite and/or S-video. That will improve your image immensely and get rid of any RF interference. 

Nobody suggested it but I remembered the channel select button on the 2600, changed it and the channel on the tv and voila, no more interference.  Probably nobody suggested it because it was so obvious, they thought I must've tried that already.  Yeah, that must be it.  So happy my C$40 tv off kijiji isn't a dud.  Nor do I have to turn off everything within 100ft or mod my console.  Phew.