IGNORED

Atari 1200XL REV 11 OS install

whaledriver

56 minutes ago, leech said:

So trying to find the right 24pin 8kb chips.

I bought these and they worked fine. I used a third one to put Altirra BASIC into a 600XL in place of the buggy Atari Rev B BASIC it came with.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STMicroelectronics-M27C64A-15F1-27C64-8K-x-8-UV-EPROM-CDIP28-x-1pc/150727709447?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

@leech In your last motherboard photos above - your pictures show Jumpers on W6, W7, W8, W9. - which according to Bob's earlier post is the 24 pin/mask ROM config. When switching to the 28-pin eprom pair did you also set no jumper on W6, jumper on W11, W12, W13?

Your AM2764-3DC's are 300ns, and seem really old, probably predating chip ID similar to 2732's. I can't figure out what the programming voltage is, but it's likely 21V or 25V, which the TL866 can't do. (It can get to about 16-18V which is enough for SOME 21V specced chips I've found... hit and miss)

I'd recommend specifically seeking out DIP28 8KB EPROMS on the TL866 support list (and easily found on eBay) such as ST 27C64A, NSC NMC27C64Q, and AMD AM27C64A.The C = CMOS - basically means lower power needed, and more likely to be a more 'modern' 12-13V programming voltage.

Also check out EEPROMs like AMD AM28C64A - these are cool because the TL866 can erase them with a single click. Saves lots of time when trying out different programming.

All of those models I've successfully used with the TL866 v1...

1 hour ago, Nezgar said:

@leech In your last motherboard photos above - your pictures show Jumpers on W6, W7, W8, W9. - which according to Bob's earlier post is the 24 pin/mask ROM config. When switching to the 28-pin eprom pair did you also set no jumper on W6, jumper on W11, W12, W13?

Your AM2764-3DC's are 300ns, and seem really old, probably predating chip ID similar to 2732's. I can't figure out what the programming voltage is, but it's likely 21V or 25V, which the TL866 can't do. (It can get to about 16-18V which is enough for SOME 21V specced chips I've found... hit and miss)

I'd recommend specifically seeking out DIP28 8KB EPROMS on the TL866 support list (and easily found on eBay) such as ST 27C64A, NSC NMC27C64Q, and AMD AM27C64A.The C = CMOS - basically means lower power needed, and more likely to be a more 'modern' 12-13V programming voltage.

Also check out EEPROMs like AMD AM28C64A - these are cool because the TL866 can erase them with a single click. Saves lots of time when trying out different programming.

All of those models I've successfully used with the TL866 v1...

Awesome info, I ordered those based on one of the earlier lictures and wasn't aware of the difference between an AM2764-3DCand 2DC.  The programmer I have is the TL866CS.

I have now ordered  the ones linked to by the Ghostbuster.

As a side note: last night I was loming around with Shadow Memory in my Atari PC4 when a sales person knocked on my door.  I should have opened the door with a quote from @DrVenkman
"I'm right in the middle of something, Ray!"

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, bob1200xl said:

Are you still working on this? I'm going to do one of mine next week. Once I get it working, I can send you some EPROMs already programmed and tested.

Bob

That would be awesome.  I got some various chips in, but haven't had the time to program them yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/12/2020 at 4:15 AM, Kyle22 said:

Burn the latest XEGS OS on to a 27128, set a few jumpers, add one wire, and you can put BASIC in the other socket. Simple.

Follow the first part of Bob Woolley's excellent instructions.

First half of instructions pasted below:

A Parallel Bus Interface for your 1200XL
[...]

Do the simple mods, replace OS and MMU. Put BASIC in the other socket. Simple.

Do you know if it's possible to take an XL ROM image (16KB), divide it into two halves, burn them into two 64Kbit EPROMS and just install them instead of the original ones (adjusting the W-jumpers of course)? So to do an upgrade like with the rev.11 version but using a more modern ROM? Without replacing the MMU nor jumper wires?

On 7/3/2023 at 3:54 AM, Peri Noid said:

Do you know if it's possible to take an XL ROM image (16KB), divide it into two halves, burn them into two 64Kbit EPROMS and just install them instead of the original ones (adjusting the W-jumpers of course)? So to do an upgrade like with the rev.11 version but using a more modern ROM? Without replacing the MMU nor jumper wires?

Here is an alterative.

1 hour ago, leech said:

Has anyone hacked the cool logo from the Rev11 OS into other OS versions?

I took an XL OS, made a lot of changes, and put the Atari Logo on it for an 800.  It needs a ROM card that allows for ROM in the $C000-$CFFF range in order to function.  My RAMROM 2022 card and a Newell card would allow for this.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, leech said:

first you make me jealous over your 1088XEL, and now the 576NUC+?  (I swear I don't need another 8bit computer... but so tempted...)

It was a fun but challenging build - I'm not a fan of SMD stuff, lol. Anyway, there's also the 1088XLD you could build if you have a spare 1050 case handy. :)