IGNORED

28.5 watt ColecoVision compatible power supply (The best quality PS every made for the ColecoVision)

HDTV1080P

On 3/21/2021 at 6:12 PM, Charlie_ said:

Mine causes major interference with the video signal. A blue screen looks like it's alive with all the horizontal lines of interference. When using the original supply it's just fine. So now I have this 28 watt supply in a box. Money wasted. It was my mistake for not realizing what was causing the problem and seeking a refund around the time of purchase. 

Thanks for your comments. I have no issues so far on my systems, but I am spending some more time investigating the issue by unpacking some other used unmodified ColecoVisions and purchasing some more power supply samples while spot checking existing inventory of power supplies for possible issues.  

On 3/21/2021 at 7:12 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

I have the meanwell and it only produces noise on my CV when I use it with my Extron. If I connect it straight up to my TV's composite input the noise isn't present. Why? No idea. Additionally, the noise isn't present when I use RGB or my HDRetrovision cables from my CV with the Meanwell supply. So it is my main supply for my daily driver CV for the moment. But I also have 2 OEM working supplies at the ready just in case.

Its good to hear that your ColecoVision works perfectly fine with the Mean Well 28.5 watt ColecoVision compatible power supply when used over composite video and when used with RGB.

10 hours ago, DaveC said:

Is this PS adequate for an Adam replacement?

The 28.5 watt Mean Well power supply will power the Expansion module #3 ADAM computer when connected to the ColecoVision. However, keep in mind it well not power the Digital Data Drive or standalone ADAM computer since both of those devices require a dedicated ADAM power supply that uses the special DB9 style wire harness.  

According to the Mean Well spec sheet Power supply operating temperature is between  -4 to 158 degrees Fahrenheit (-20 to + 70 degrees Celsius).  A storage temperature of up to 185 degrees Fahrenheit (85 degrees Celsius).  All power supplies in my inventory were stored in a air conditioned and heated room at normal room temperatures. 

Edited by HDTV1080P

Brief update

Back in 2019 I purchased a few Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B power supplies at full price of around $35 each from one of the many authorized Mean Well distributors (plus another $10-$16 for the ColecoVision cord which is made in a multi-million dollar automated cable factory in China). The sample power supplies worked perfectly fine on around 5 different ColecoVision’s (both unmodified RF video output and modified video upgrades). For several months and weeks over many hours playing different games there was absolutely no problems. Plus, voltage and current tests were perfect and no interference noise issues in the video at all.    

When it came time to offer the power supplies to the ColecoVision community, many authorized Mean Well dealers were out of stock. Therefore, back in early Feb of 2020 I special ordered two cases (54 power supplies per case) which is 108 power supplies. The authorized Mean Well distributor had the Taiwan factory run off 108 power supplies and it took 4 months for the power supplies to arrive (I also received a certificate of conformance from Mean well for the first batch of power supplies).  After testing all the voltage levels and briefly testing each power supply on a ColecoVision they appeared to all work fine after a 5 minute test. Also, since I am not assembling my own homemade power supply, and I am selling brand new power supplies made in Taiwan, I do not want to spend anymore then 5 minutes testing each power supply with ColecoVision cable. A simple voltage test and video test should be all that is needed on each power supply since the original samples works fine.  And in the first batch all 108 new power supplies were tested before shipping. The first batch of power supplies has already been sold and is in the hands of customers.

In late June of 2020 I ordered another two cases of a total of 108 power supplies from the same authorized Mean Well distributor.  The authorized Mean Well distributor had the Taiwan factory run off 108 power supplies and it took 4 months for the power supplies to arrive (I also received a certificate of conformance from Mean Well for the second batch of power supplies).  After testing all the voltage levels and briefly testing each power supply on a ColecoVision they appeared to all work fine after a 5-minute test. The second batch is what is currently in my inventory.

Theory: I am currently in the process of spot checking the current inventory to see if there is a quality issue that shows up when playing certain ColecoVision videogames and the blue screen skill levels and other screens. Currently I have not found a major issue yet. However, a few minutes ago I did see some very faint noise lines just recently while playing one Cabbage Patch videogame that my Smurf ColecoVision power supply and original Coleco brand power supply does not have. One theory is that some of the Mean Well power supplies in the first batch and second batch might not be manufactured to the same quality level that I received in the original samples that worked perfectly fine. I did notice that in the first batch and second batch that Mean Well switched from a color label to a lower cost black and white style label (but that is a cosmetic issue and hopefully the electronics remained the same quality as the samples from 2019).  

I also have random orders in to various authorized Mean Well dealers to see if there is a quality difference with the GP25B13A-R1B when purchasing from a different authorized Mean Well dealer. My two original GP25B13A-R1B’s that were manufactured in 2019 worked perfectly fine.

This is a complicated issue, and I well try and post some more detailed results in a few weeks after I have more time to test the current batch of Mean Well power supplies in inventory. These are brand new power supplies and one should not have to spend a massive amount of time trying to see if there is a small amount of interference that exists on some ColecoVisions. I am very disappointed this project did not turn out better. I hope to have more detailed information within a few weeks.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

Monoprice North America power cord Product number 7672 place of manufacturing and quality has changed (UL listed but no longer UL certified)

As mentioned before the 28.5 Watt Mean Well ColecoVision compatible power supply has a input voltage of 100-240 volts with 50Hz/60Hz at 0.8 amps. One is required to purchase the input power cord style for the country that they live in. Amazon and EBAY dealers for North American customers have been bundling the high quality 18 gauge 125 volt 10A Monoprice product #7672 North American style power cord with every 28.5 Watt ColecoVision compatible power supply. In the past this high-end power cord was made in China and was both UL listed and had the special UL certification sticker. However even though China makes high quality consumer electronics products at a good price, for various reasons many companies in the United States and around the world have been switching their manufacturing from China to countries like Taiwan, Vietnam, South Korea, Thailand, and various other countries.

I only have one more made in China input power cord left in stock, and well not be getting anymore since Monoprice has briefly changed the specs and country where they are being manufactured. When ordering from Monoprice the place of manufacturing is no longer China for product number 7672. But instead, is Thailand, and sometimes is instead Vietnam. While some factories around the world can make just as good of products as China, for some reason the Vietnam and Thailand version of the Monoprice 7672 power cord is only UL listed and does not have the UL certified sticker. Therefore, the specs have changed and only the made in China version was both UL listed and UL certified. This is a minor issue for most people since UL listed is good enough. So, when ordering from Monoprice directly or when ordering the Mean Well ColecoVision power supply on Amazon or EBAY, future orders will be for power cords that are only UL listed and made in Thailand or Vietnam. The Vietnam version does not even have Monprices label on the package but the Thailand version does have the Monoprice label.

I do have only one more made in China Monorprice 7672 North American power cord left in stock. After that one is sold the rest of the shipments will be Thailand and Vietnam. Also when buying on EBAY or Amazon, international cords like Australia and some other countries have actually received a upgrade in specs compared to what was being offered before, instead of a downgrade (Some cords have went from 1.5 meters to 1.83 meters in length, plus more safety certifications and sealed plastic bags, etc). Most consumers consider the low cost import power cords a minor issue, and companies like Monoprice and others change the specs and place of manufactory from time to time without updating their website.      

Monoprice Power Cord - Non-Polarized NEMA 1-15P to Non-Polarized IEC 60320 C7, 18AWG, 10A/1250W, 125V, Black, 6ft - Monoprice.com  

3 different countries of manufacoring.JPG

Chinese UL certified version.JPG

Edited by HDTV1080P

On 3/22/2021 at 10:09 PM, HDTV1080P said:

The 28.5 watt Mean Well power supply will power the Expansion module #3 ADAM computer when connected to the ColecoVision. However, keep in mind it well not power the Digital Data Drive or standalone ADAM computer since both of those devices require a dedicated ADAM power supply that uses the special DB9 style wire harness.  

I was referring to the Mean Well itself.  i.e. is the Voltage and Amperage up to par.  I don't have an issue making a DB9, but I lashed one up and it was pulling the -5 to 0 and the DDP was revving like crazy.

6 hours ago, DaveC said:

I was referring to the Mean Well itself.  i.e. is the Voltage and Amperage up to par.  I don't have an issue making a DB9, but I lashed one up and it was pulling the -5 to 0 and the DDP was revving like crazy.

The Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B has never been sold as an ADAM power supply. To be sold as an ADAM power supply it would have to offer enough wattage and have the custom molded DB9 wiring harness. However, many people have been able to successfully use their Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer when connected to the ColecoVision while using a ColecoVision compatible power supply like the 28.5 watt Mean Well ColecoVision compatible power supply (except for things like the Digital Data Drive require a custom wiring harness). As long as one is using a ADAMNET keyboard with ADAMNET disk drive it well work with the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer.

28.5 watts might not be enough power to power the ADAM computer Digital Data Drive with a new custom DB9 wire harness. However, the 46.5 watt Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B might be powerful enough and it has a cleaner DC output, but the GP50A13A-R1B has poor quality short circuit protection and if one is unplugging or plugging in an expansion module by mistake with the power on, and there is a short between the 5 volt and 12 volt rails that power supply will be destroyed for one brief short and then has to be tossed in the trash. I was hoping one day that Mean Well would fix the engineering design flaw on the short circuit protection for the 46.5 watt power supply and then change the model number briefly. The GP50A13A-R1B offers a beautiful picture quality on the ColecoVision, and some ColecoVision owners buy the $15.99 custom ColecoVision cable only and take a chance that they will never have a short circuit between the 5 and 12 volt rail. But I choose not to offer or recommend that model because of the short circuit engineering design flaw.   

The Apollo 400 watt ADAM power supply works flawlessly with the standalone ADAM and Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer. The Apollo 400 watt power supply is a Micro SFX power supply with a Coleco ADAM wire harness. However back around the year 2014 all ATX power supplies stopped offering the -5 volts DC feature.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

So far after spending over a week off and on testing and almost two full 12 hour days, I do not see any major issues with this Mean Well 28.5 watt power supply with the samples from inventory and additional samples purchased. I am still waiting for more samples to arrive and well work on some other projects briefly. Maybe in a week or so I might have a more detailed summary but right now I have some other things I need to test right now since I am working on multiply issues at once. Then I plan I getting back to watching some Blu-ray discs and then when my additional power supply samples arrive in a week or so I well test those and hopefully find time to write a more detailed summary.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ColecoVision compatible Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B is currently the best quality energy efficient level VI power supply on the market that also offers excellent short circuit protection

I did some extensive testing with various power supplies, and there is a small variation in picture quality when used on some ColecoVision’s depending on manufacturing date and various other issues. Per the Department of Energy law that went into effect on February 10th 2016, all external power supplies manufactured or imported into the United States market that are designed for consumer products are required to be energy efficiency level VI. This means there is currently only 3 different models of Mean Well power supplies that can be used with the ColecoVision (I well mention those models later on).

There is no such thing as a perfect power supply. Every power supply has pluses and minuses. The classic transformer based ColecoVision power supply offers a nice picture quality, however there are some modern high-end switching power supplies that offer a better picture quality when compared to the original ColecoVision power supply. Also there is noise on peoples electrical power lines, and sometimes even a FCC certified power supply may show a little bit of interference when the RF NTSC or PAL output is used. Another issue is that when one modifies their ColecoVision to have HDMI or DVI output it does not matter which ColecoVision compatible power supply that is being used, since a digital signal well have perfect picture and sound. However sometimes certain third party analog video modifications like VGA, RGB, component video, S-Video, or composite video may produce more noise lines in the video signal when used with certain power supplies.

Therefore, in the final testing of the following power supplies, I narrowed my testing down to ColecoVisions that have not received any third party video modifications or other modifications just in case some modifications were causing problems. Therefore, all results below are what most people are using, which is unmodified ColecoVision’s with a RF NTSC output.

The following are some power supply choices for the ColecoVision

(one) The original 1982-1985 ColecoVision power supply: This transformer based power supply offers a beautiful picture and sound when connected to the CoelcoVision. However, some negatives of the Coleco brand power supply is it does not have enough power to power the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer and the power supply well not work worldwide on both 120 and 220 volts. Of course the original ColecoVision power supply was never designed to power the ADAM computer since Coleco created a dedicated power supply for the ADAM computer inside the Smartwriter printer. Also the ColecoVision power supply is a disposable power supply that was not designed to be repaired (no screws to open the power supply up). In the 20th Century there was plenty of new ColecoVision power supplies available at a fair price. However, in the 21st Century because of a shortage of working power supplies, people started repairing their disposable ColecoVision power supply by sawing open the plastic case and repairing the circuit board and then gluing the power supply back together. The 80’s ColecoVision power supply is except from the energy level VI requirement because it was manufactured before February 10th 2016.    

(two) 550 Watt Smurf Power Supply for the ColecoVision videogame system: This power supply offers an outstanding picture and sound quality on the ColecoVision. It is reference quality. It outperforms the quality of the original ColecoVision power supply sold by Coleco. The Smurf power supply can even power the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer (however it does not come with the wire harness to power the Digital Data Drives). All ATX power supplies since they are designed for internal use are except from the energy efficiency level VI requirements. However, -5 volts DC feature is no longer offered on ATX power supplies for almost a decade now. So only one of these power supplies was made.   

(three) Apollo 400 Watt Power Supply for the ADAM Computer Memory Console: When connected to the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer memory console, this power supply also powers the ColecoVision and offers an outstanding picture quality that is reference quality.  All internal power supplies are except from the energy level VI requirements.  This was a limited run of 27 power supplies because of the rare Coleco ADAM wire harness issue and because of -5 volts DC not being offered on internal computer power supplies anymore.

Apollo 400 Watt Power Supply for the ADAM Computer Memory Console - ColecoVision / Adam - AtariAge Forums

(four) Retro Arcade 16 amp ColecoVision compatible power supply for $19.49 plus up to $20+ in cables: This low cost power supply offers a beautiful picture quality on the ColecoVision just like the original ColecoVision power supply. However, it cannot be sold as a ColecoVision power supply since its not level VI approved and it requires some type of enclosure so that some one does not get electrocuted from the exposed 120 to 220 volt terminals. Also, the voltage levels are a little off since there is an adjustment control that adjusts all 3 voltage rails at once. Can even power the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer (however it does not come with the wire harness to power the Digital Data Drives). Click on the link for more information regarding this power supply.

How to make a worldwide ColecoVision power supply for around $30-$40+ (some may be able to make one for under $30 if they have spare parts laying around). - ColecoVision / Adam - AtariAge Forums  

(five) Mean Well RQ-65B ColecoVision compatible power supply for $25 plus up to $20+ in cables: This power supply offers a beautiful picture quality on the ColecoVision just like the original ColecoVision power supply. However, it cannot be sold as a ColecoVision power supply since its not level VI approved and it requires some type of enclosure so that someone does not get electrocuted from the exposed 120 to 220 volt terminals. Also, the voltage levels are a little off since there is an adjustment control that adjusts all 2 voltage rails at once. Can even power the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer (however it does not come with the wire hardness to power the Digital Data Drives). Click on the link for more information regarding this power supply.

How to make a worldwide ColecoVision power supply for around $30-$40+ (some may be able to make one for under $30 if they have spare parts laying around). - ColecoVision / Adam - AtariAge Forums

The 3 Mean Well desktop power supplies that are level VI that work with the ColecoVision and the $15.99 ColecoVision compatible power cord  

(six) Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B 46.5 watt ColecoVision compatible power supply: This power supply offers a beautiful picture quality when connected to the ColecoVision. The power supply can even power the Expansion Module #3 ADAM computer (however it does not come with the wire harness to power the Digital Data Drives). However, the problem is the power supply has poor quality short circuit protection and cannot withstand a short between the 5 volt and 12 volt rail. If one plugs or unplugs an expansion module and there is a short between the 5 volt and 12 volt rail then the power supply stops working and needs to be tossed in the trash. In my communications with Mean Well they claim they engineered the power supply to only have short circuit protection between ground and not between 5 volts and 12 volts. While its true that all other desktop power supplies by Mean Well that offer the -5 volts DC feature have excellent short circuit protection between 5 volts and 12 volts and also ground, Mean Well has no plans to fix this issue on the GP50A13A-R1B since in their point of view they feel the power supply is working as designed. Its common knowledge that this GP50A13A-R1B offers the best picture quality for the ColecoVision, however because of the way the short circuit protection works on this power supply I refuse to recommended or sell the power supply.  This 46.5 watt power supply costs around $20 more when compared to the 28.5 watt Mean Well models. If one wants to buy the $15.99 ColecoVision compatible power cable to use with it, one can take a chance and hope that they never have a short issue with the power supply. The Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B power supply samples that were manufactured between 2016 to 2019 with a color Mean Well label have slightly better picture quality when compared to the sample I got from 2021. But even the one manufactured in 2021 has a very nice picture that is sometimes just as good or better than the original ColecoVision power supply from the 80’s. The Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B offers a cleaner output when compared to the 28.5 watt Mean Well ColecoVision power supplies. The GP50A13A-R1B when used with the ColecoVision power cord does not have any ground loops and noise lines thanks to the 25CM ColecoVision compatible power cord shield being grounded on one side to eliminate group loops. This power supply also has a clean DC output but no short circuit protection between the 5 and 12 volt rail which is a deal breaker.     

(seven ) Mean Well GP25A13A-R1B ColecoVision 28.5 watt power supply: The only difference between the GP25A13A-R1B and the GP25B13A-R1B is that the GP25A13A-R1B has a 3 prong power input cord versus the GP25B13A-R1B has only a two prong input power cord. The power supply samples of GP25A13A-R1B power supplies made between December 2016 and 2019 with the color Mean Well label has very little noise lines on the ColecoVision blue screen level. However, when I plug in a GP25A13A-R1B power supply manufactured in 2020 or 2021 with the black and white Mean Well label the quality of the DC output is a little lower with some interference and noise lines appear on the ColecoVision skill level screen. So clearly there is a small difference in quality of the power supplies depending on when they were manufactured and various other issues. By the way none of these GP25A13A-R1B models were every shipped or sold as ColecoVision power supplies by Amazon and EBAY dealers.

(eight)  Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B ColecoVision power supply: On my original samples of this power supply that was manufactured around the year 2019, they all had the colorful Mean Well label stamped on the power supply. The original samples of this power supply performed almost as good as the Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B power supply in terms of picture quality. And that is why I ended up buying 6 cases of these power supplies in 2020-2021 (54 power supplies in each case x 6 equals 324 ColecoVision power supplies). Some of the 2020 Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B power supplies that have the lower cost black and white label have more faint noise lines on certain ColecoVisions that can be seen on the blue skill level screen. So, there is a small variations of quality in the power supplies that can be seen on some ColecoVision’s. However, these variations are all within the torrance level of Mean Well’s specifications. The GP25B13A-R1B has almost perfect short circuit protection, however on some ColecoVision’s the picture quality is not as good when compared to the Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B. But the Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B does not offer any short circuit protection between the 5 and 12 volt rail which results in the power supply needing to be tossed in the trash if that short every were to occur.

I have noticed that if one does experience a small amount of video noise lines in the video signal on a blue skill level screen, that if one plugs in the expansion module #3 ADAM computer and increases the power load of both the GP25A13A-R1B and the GP25B13A-R1B power supplies that the small amount of video noise lines clears up. However, on some ColecoVision’s some samples of the GP25A13A-R1B and GP25B13A-R1B have almost as good as picture quality as the reference GP50A13A-R1B. But as mentioned the GP50A13A-R1B has poor quality short circuit protection. Now most of the time (not all the time) the 2 prong GP25B13A-R1B has a better picture quality when compared to the 3 prong GP25A13A-R1B. This most likely is because a 2 prong power supply does not produce a ground loop condition. However, the 3 prong GP50A13A-R1B when using the exact same 25CM ColecoVision cable produces a outstanding picture quality that matches and sometimes beats the original 80’s ColecoVision power supply. So there is nothing wrong with the 25CM ColecoVision cable, there is different quality levels when comparing the DC output on Mean Well power supplies and also variations in quality within the same model number. There is no ground loop problems with the 3 prong GP50A13A-R1B and the FCC certification on that power supply is better with a extra ferrite coil on the cable.    

So, in summary out of the three level VI Mean Well power supplies to choose from, the Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B is clearly the best choice because of its almost perfect short circuit protection. On some ColecoVisions hardware due to small variations in the GP25B13A-R1B power supply, some people may see more faint noise lines when on certain screens like the blue skill level screen.

Amazon and EBAY dealers have always offered a 60 day return policy on this power supply. If there existed a better quality level VI power supply on the market for the ColecoVision I would recommend it. However as of early 2021 the Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B is the best choice, unless one wants to make their own ColecoVision homebrew power supplies that are mentioned in this post.      

For the Medical, Industrial, and International market XP Power makes a couple of high-end power supplies between $70-120+ that in theory would work with the ColecoVision. I never tried them, but since they are not level VI approved, they cannot be resold in the United States for a consumer product like the ColecoVision. If I get a chance in the future to try one, I well let people know how it works. The $15.99 ColecoVision cable should work for those XP Power supplies also. There might be 7 power supplies that work with the ColecoVision 25CM power cord, however 2 of the power supplies are out of production and 5 of the power supplies are currently in production (2 XP Power models and 3 Mean Well models).     

Even if a better power supply is released that beats the quality of the energy efficiency level VI Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B, that power supply might cost over $100. Therefore, in the far future maybe there well be two power supplies to choose from. A $50 Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B and a $129.99 super high-end ColecoVision power supply that works almost as good as the 550 watt Smurf ColecoVision power supply.  

Also, in the future the price on the Mean Well 28.5 Watt ColecoVision power supply might be increasing from $49.99 to $54.99. Right now the price is being artificially held at $49.99, but due to inflation since the last 2 cases of power supplies ended up costing a little more when compared to the prior 4 cases, the power supply in the months to come might see a price increase.        

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Haha 1

There is a total of 8 desktop power supplies that are compatible with this $15.99 Gold Plated 25CM ColecoVision compatible power cord. Only 3 out of the 8 power supplies are level VI complaint.

Here is a thread regarding the power supplies that work with this cable.

There is a total of 8 ColecoVision compatible power supplies that well work with the 25CM Gold Plated ColecoVision compatible power cord - ColecoVision / Adam - AtariAge Forums

Edited by HDTV1080P

While the Mean Well 28.5 watt power supplies for the ColecoVision is an ideal power supply for worldwide use. For those International consumers that want the best of the best, the 42 watt XP Power AEH45UM33 power supply offers a little better picture quality on some ColecoVision’s. A thread has been created regarding this power supply. XP Power company does not make a level VI consumer power supply that is compatible with the ColecoVision, so this power supply cannot be sold in the United States. Also the base price of the Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B is around $33.90 without cables, the XP Power AEH45UM33 without cables is $73.90 (plus each power supply has shipping and taxes that need to be added to those prices plus the cables prices).

The 42 watt XP Power AEH45UM33 is a much better ColecoVision compatible power supply when compared to the 46.5 watt Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B power supply (for international markets only, not level VI complaint) - ColecoVision / Adam - AtariAge Forums

Edited by HDTV1080P

On 3/25/2021 at 8:21 AM, DaveC said:

If you have the Expansion Module #3 ADAM memory console, you do not need a dedicated wire harness to power the Digital Data Drive as long as you have this special part from China for $2.05 with free shipping and a jumper wire. I verified that the 28.5 watt Mean Well power supply and 3 other power supplies are powerful enough to power the Digital Data Drive without an ADAM wire harness. This solution does not work with the standalone ADAM computer. 

Check out the following thread for more information

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/319864-there-is-a-total-of-8-colecovision-compatible-power-supplies-that-well-work-with-the-25cm-gold-plated-colecovision-compatible-power-cord/?do=findComment&comment=4809388

Edited by HDTV1080P

Important update

I have spent several more days and hours on this project. And the good news is that the Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B is the best choice and best level VI energy compliant power supply on the market. The GP25B13A-R1B can sometimes provide just as good as picture quality as the so called flagship top of the line Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B power supply. Also, the GP25B13A-R1B has excellent short circuit protection plus excellent stable voltages under a load of 12.02 volts DC, 4.51 volts DC, and -5.19 volts DC when the Digital Data Drive is moving at high speed. However, on some ColecoVision’s the GP50A13A-R1B model provides a better picture quality due to small variations in the quality of the GP25B13A-R1B and various other factors. However, that being said, there is now two reasons why one should not purchase the Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B.  

(one) The Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B has poor quality short circuit protection between the 5 volt and 12 volt rail and one brief short and the power supply needs to be tossed in the trash.

(two) While the ColecoVision/ADAM has built in voltage protection and can take some abuse with the voltages being off, the Mean Well GP50A13A-R1B is unacceptable for a regulated power supply. I have never in my entire life seen such a poorly designed power supply where instead of offering -5 volts DC under a load the power supply is offering -7.20 volts DC to the ColecoVision/ADAM CPU when under a load. While the ColecoVision/ADAM can handle being two volts off for several weeks running 24 x7, the power supply is suppose to provide regulated voltages and being off more then a half a volt is unacceptable for a so called top of the line power supply. I did not increase the load any more on the ColecoVision/ADAM just incase the CPU gets hit with -8 volts DC or lower.

In summary USA and most international ColecoVision/ADAM owners should stay with the Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B which has accurate regulated voltages under a load with excellent short circuit protection. If one lives outside the United States where level VI power supplies are not required then the much more expensive and better quality XP Power AEH45UM33 should be used as a ColecoVision/ADAM power supply.

Click the following link to see detailed voltage results of ColecoVision/ADAM power supplies when under a load.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Price increase coming on August 1st 2021 (most likely well occur)

Because of inflation and worldwide supply issues most likely starting on August 1st 2021 or shortly after August 1st Amazon and EBAY dealers well increase the price of this 28.5 Watt ColecoVision compatible power supply and custom cable by 20%. So instead of paying $49.99 for the power supply on EBAY with bundled custom cable, on or shortly after August 1st the power supply well cost $59.99 plus shipping (Amazon $69.99 instead of $59.99). Also, the custom hard to get 25CM ColecoVision power cable well see a price increase from $15.99 to $19.99 plus shipping on EBAY (Amazon $25.99 instead of $20.99). Therefore, people have around a half a month to get their ColecoVision power supply before the 20% price increase well most likely occur. There is also a possibility that if the worldwide global supply problems continue that the current custom 25CM ColecoVision compatible power cord might be going out of production.   

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 4 months later...

Starting on Black Friday, some EBAY dealers are offering a OEM BOX version of the power supply that is dented and damaged for a discount of $10 off. The power supplies are still new and perfect cosmetic condition, however the OEM box is dented and damaged. The $10 off special of $49.99 instead of $59.99 lasts until the damaged boxes are all gone.

Edited by HDTV1080P
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Around a month ago the dented and damaged OEM boxes are no longer available. The current supply of 28.5 Watt power supplies with ColecoVision cable are being held at the 59.99 price plus shipping on EBAY. However when it comes to reordering supplies the next batch of power supplies and cables may increase in price because of inflation. But for now the current price remains the same on Amazon and EBAY.

Edited by HDTV1080P

• 9 months later...

Most likely a $10 price increase coming on April 1st 2023 or shortly after for this 28.5 watt ColecoVision power supply

On or shortly after April 1st 2023, Amazon and EBAY dealers that sell this 28.5 Watt ColecoVision compatible power supply with high quality bundled Gold Plated Colecovision cable will most likely be raising the price from $59.99 + $9.99 shipping/handling to $69.99 + $14.99 shipping/handling for domestic USA orders (plus a $10 increase on international orders also). While the made in China high quality custom Gold Plated ColecoVision output power cord has a good supply for now with under 5% inflation, the Taiwan made 28.5 watt Mean Well GP25B13A-R1B power supply has inflated in value around $10+ when purchased in large QTY with additional shipping charges. Plus the input power cords have gone up in price.

For the last 6 months or so Amazon and EBAY dealers have kept this power supply at $59.99 plus $9.99 shipping without increasing the price even though prices were going up for the power supplies. However, that will most likely change on April 1st 2023 or shortly after with a new price of $69.99 plus $14.99 shipping.     

Edited by HDTV1080P