IGNORED

Homebrew

atari2600land

I'm not sure what you mean, unless you're thinking of starting a campaign to have Shenmue III ported to the system. In which case, I'm all in.

The Dreamcast has had plenty of homebrews come out since 2001, and they're still being released for the system with some frequency. You just need to haunt Kickstarter and such to get in on the action.

Strange, if you check the Wikipedia link, you get a different picture:

2015: 9 homebrew games

2016: 4 homebrew games

2017: 11 homebrew games

2018: 5 homebrew games

2019: 5 homebrew games

2020: 6 homebrew games counting those expected to be released later this year

Sure, 5 games per year is less than one every second month but it doesn't seem entirely dried out?

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know I'm bumping an old thread. I want a Dreamcast homebrew that comes in a case and disc, so released physically. I also want it to be on only the Dreamcast. (for example, I googled Xenocrisis, and it comes on a whole lot of other platforms besides the Dreamcast.) I don't seem to have any options for this. I bought Inhabitants, Irides, and Wind & Water, but that seems to be all I can find. What are some good homebrew Dreamcast games like those that I should pick up?

I'm trying hard to like the console. I have about 75 games for it. But I can't seem to find that one really great game that justifies owning a Dreamcast.

You really aren't looking that much then. I just ordered and received Intrepid Izzy for the Dreamcast. Yes it is on other platforms as well, but quite a few indie games make their way. Check out this site for quite a few DC releases in physical format:

https://thebitstationgames.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 8:03 PM, -^CrossBow^- said:

You really aren't looking that much then. I just ordered and received Intrepid Izzy for the Dreamcast. Yes it is on other platforms as well, but quite a few indie games make their way. Check out this site for quite a few DC releases in physical format:

https://thebitstationgames.com/

You're right. Have you looked around the web for Dreamcast Homebrews? There are plenty out there to purchase and plenty more on the way. Just look up Dreamcast Homebrew and I'll guarantee you will find something you will like. As for reasons to own a Dreamcast there are so many Sonic 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2, Gauntlet Legends, Soulcalibur, Hydro Thunder, Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer, Power Stone 1 and 2, Revolt, Resident Evil: Codename Veronica, etc...I could go on. My nephew and play the heck out of San Francisco Rush 2049 and my buddy and I still play Gauntlet Legends to this day. I purchased Arcade Legends which is a great homebrew racing game for the DC. I love the DC and still have it hooked up and play all the time. Look harder! It's a great system. I do love my Sega. 

On 11/3/2021 at 2:42 PM, vrocko said:

You're right. Have you looked around the web for Dreamcast Homebrews? There are plenty out there to purchase and plenty more on the way. Just look up Dreamcast Homebrew and I'll guarantee you will find something you will like. As for reasons to own a Dreamcast there are so many Sonic 1 and 2, Crazy Taxi 1 and 2, Dead or Alive 2, Gauntlet Legends, Soulcalibur, Hydro Thunder, Jet Set Radio, Metropolis Street Racer, Power Stone 1 and 2, Revolt, Resident Evil: Codename Veronica, etc...I could go on. My nephew and play the heck out of San Francisco Rush 2049 and my buddy and I still play Gauntlet Legends to this day. I purchased Arcade Legends which is a great homebrew racing game for the DC. I love the DC and still have it hooked up and play all the time. Look harder! It's a great system. I do love my Sega. 

And also PSO is still relevant! Private servers let you play forever really, who needs anything else?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neogeo1982 said:

And also PSO is still relevant! Private servers let you play forever really, who needs anything else?

The trick is how to attach to them easily though. I played the heck out of PSO on my DC in the early '00s.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 6:53 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

I'm not sure what you mean, unless you're thinking of starting a campaign to have Shenmue III ported to the system. In which case, I'm all in.

The Dreamcast has had plenty of homebrews come out since 2001, and they're still being released for the system with some frequency. You just need to haunt Kickstarter and such to get in on the action.

thanks for the link... I had the same impression of Dreamcast being disappearing

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, atari2600land said:

Can someone please make a homebrew Dreamcast game? Where have all the people who made them go?

Are you aware of this retail store?

https://www.pixelheart.eu/en/shop/

All the new homebrews are sold through them and they are reliable. Everything is mixed together, so you’ll have to thumb through each page, but the first page has a new release - Andros Dunos 2 for the Dreamcast.

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 2