IGNORED

Biscuits in Hell!, new game

Philsan

On the floppy disk of the latest issue of ABBUC Club magazine, exclusively, there is Biscuits in Hell!, a brilliant conversion from ZX Spectrum.

By @playsoft, @darryl1970 and JRH.

Biscuits In Hell is a new platform game for Atari 8-bit computers (with a minimum of 48K RAM) released on the issue disk of ABBUC magazine #141.

It is based on the ZX Spectrum game of the same name by Dave Hughes and also incorporates elements from another of his games, Endless Forms Most Beautiful.

The game has two modes of play. You can play for points where you start with 5 lives, each level has a time limit, there are (useful) items you can collect and there are obstacles in your way. You can also play as per the original ZX Spectrum game, where you have 128 lives to fully complete 8 levels.

Thanks to Darryl for all his help with this, Jaden for the great music and to Dave Hughes for permission to develop this for the Atari 8-bit.

141-preview.thumb.jpg.7416d5b9e9bc5e75680316c891ec9991.jpg

Biscuits-1.png.e8081410e999727f4c829c2a9d7fd6ff.png Biscuits-2.png.a9ead1b95e28b06c051f96e92916806e.png

Biscuits-3.png.ce078f60cf770fef0fe05947530c7603.png Biscuits-4.png.d0f70a2f80e1f4f6167664b98171f71d.png

Video (tnx @MrFish)

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

As soon as I saw the title of this game, I just knew the original had to be British. Forget the biscuits/cookies difference in language, that title is British to the core.

People from other countries would not design a game around something as droll as biscuits.

This embodies the British games industry. Well done. This is the essence of the ZX Spectrum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, a8isa1 said:

Would the NTSC  American version of the game be called, "Cookies in Hell"?

Biscuits here are a hard treat for the dog or a light, fluffy pastry for humans, often used to convey large portions of butter to their mouths.

Fixed for you, so that I can raise my token Canadian linguistic objection. ;) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pedgarcia said:

Any chance we wil be able to play this game, since I don't have the magazine (nor I can read German)...

THanks

You can join ABBUC and download it from their website. There are preparations for an English version of the Content of the printed supplement to the magazine (the magazine being on floppy being enshrined in ABBUC‘s constitution), maybe @skr can reveal more, if only that I didn‘t translate enough lately. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slx said:

You can join ABBUC and download it from their website. There are preparations for an English version of the Content of the printed supplement to the magazine (the magazine being on floppy being enshrined in ABBUC‘s constitution), maybe @skr can reveal more, if only that I didn‘t translate enough lately. 

I can't read German and I don't own a floppy disk drive. I'm a member. Access to the member only resources on the website is totally worth the subscription fee, having an English version of the text will be awesome.

Edited by Mr Robot
Not subscriber... member. Thanks pps
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

I can't read German and I don't own a floppy disk drive. I'm a subscriber. Access to the subsriber only resources on the website is totally worth the subscription fee, having an English version of the text will be awesome.

Sorry, some OT... 

You're not a subscriber, you're a member of our club. You are invited to take part at the clubs activity and if you want, make something for the magazine as well. Everyone has knowledge about our machine and it is always welcome, if you want to share some of our work with us all. ? ABBUC e.V. is a community for us all, by us all. 

OT of...

@playsoft and his team: the game looks and plays well ? Thanks for the work. 

Edited by pps
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pedgarcia said:

Any chance we wil be able to play this game, since I don't have the magazine (nor I can read German)...

THanks

The game is not property of the ABBUC, @playsoft has every right to publish it in any form he wishes as it is his work. Thankfully, he gave the other members some benefit to being a member, by releasing it through the ABBUC first. If he doesn´t want to release it to the general public himself, we could release it to the public (there is a free download area on the website) when we publish the next magazine, making it an ABBUC exclusive for three months. We don´t want to hide stuff from non-members, but we love to have some exclusive stuff making a membership even more worthwile.

And with Biscuits being a really great software, he will get a little reward from ABBUC. And saying is, I remind all ABBUC members, that there always is a little gift for the winner of the Intro-contest. Not, that we had much choice the last months, but maybe some of you feel like writing a little Intro for the ABBUC magazine too. It even can be in BASIC, I don´t mind. Of course we like high quality software like that from playsoft, but we also see the magazine as a platform for every member, showing off their first steps in programming and probably get some feedback.

So: Keep on coding! :)

• Like 9

2 hours ago, pps said:

You're not a subscriber, you're a member of our club.

Thanks for the correction, I didn't mean it to come across like I was just paying for others to produce stuff for me. I was supposed to be contributing to the club website but @skr has been quite for a while so I don't know what happened there.

I want to add that if you are an ABBUC member, not only you receive three four magazines a year with floppy disk, but you contribute to the prize pool of ABBUC Software Contest too.

Moreover, you receive the programs that participate in that competition a month ot two before their release and you can vote them.

The club has more than 500 members, not only Germans but also from other parts of the world (I am Swiss).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Philsan said:

I want to add that if you are an ABBUC member, not only you receive three magazines a year with floppy disk, but you contribute to the prize pool of ABBUC Software Contest too.

Moreover, you receive the programs that participate in that competition a month ot two before their release and you can vote them.

The club has more than 500 members, not only Germans but also from other parts of the world (I am Swiss).

Correction: Four magazines a year, which means quarterly (March, June, September and December). Not mentioning special magazines (mostly disks) and from time to time an "end-of-the-year gift" (disks, books, CD's, DVD's, etc.)...

• Like 3

I'm really please to see that people have enjoyed the game, thank you all.

I'd been meaning to contribute to ABBUC as I've been a member for a long time, but never got around to doing anything. When I saw the post at the beginning of the year asking for submissions for the issue disk, I decided I must do something. I watched a lot of youtube videos of games from other systems and this was the one that grabbed my attention. I liked the humour, it looked well suited to the A8 and something I could (just about) get done in time (and I can't resist a biscuit).

On 6/23/2020 at 7:14 PM, skr said:

The game is not property of the ABBUC, @playsoft has every right to publish it in any form he wishes as it is his work. Thankfully, he gave the other members some benefit to being a member, by releasing it through the ABBUC first. If he doesn´t want to release it to the general public himself, we could release it to the public (there is a free download area on the website) when we publish the next magazine, making it an ABBUC exclusive for three months. We don´t want to hide stuff from non-members, but we love to have some exclusive stuff making a membership even more worthwhile.

I wrote it specifically for ABBUC so I like that idea. I have a 5200 build too, which is identical apart from it not having the loading or credits screen. I don't know if you would want to put that on the free download area at the same time?

On 6/23/2020 at 7:14 PM, skr said:

And with Biscuits being a really great software, he will get a little reward from ABBUC.

Thanks, but that's really unnecessary. Talking of rewards, when the Spectrum game was originally released the first three (I think) people to complete it got a reward - a packet of biscuits.

• Like 6