IGNORED

Mashup between Indiana Jones and PoP

gfvh

I've been doing this following my last game, and it is mostly the same kind of game, like Dragon's Lair where you must press a key to evade a danger.

But I used the sprite of Prince of Persia. But as I also wanted to do Indiana Jones Last Crusade the Action-Game, but I was lazy to do it properly I established the setting of this Prince of Persia like the one in Indiana Jones game. The name of the game is Prince of Indiana. It is a stupid name. I was about to call it Viscount of Persia which is even more silly. And that is the name that appears in the source code: http://mauisland.byethost24.com/animator/viscount/animat.txt

The other files referred in the text file are in the same folder if you want to look at them.

The file shows only the first level. I hope I can make more.

animat.bin

• Like 2

Like it so far, I've never been a fan of the Dragon's Lair games. Visual impressive but frustrated me to no end, guess I'm just odd. The original game you made is quite a feat and shows folks what the 2600 is capable of given talented programers. I love the idea of this one, I'm a huge fan of the Prince of Persia series and love where this is going design wise. Animations are fluid, is there any way with this game to give control to the character versus the Dragon's Lair style as your other game? Left and right movement of the character with the joystick would be amazing. With your current design it feels like a mix between a endless runner and DL hybrid.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your comments!! I am not that big fan of Dragon's Lair either. But as a cartoon it is great.

Sadly I cannot put a lot of interaction in the game because just as DL, it is mostly a cartoon. It is a lot easier to do a game like this programming wise. The effort of programming must be put in the "engine". The code that "sends" the frames to the screen. It is a known technique that uses players sprites to create an image. But are better implementations of it out there.

Edited by gfvh
  • Like 1

Congratulations on the game! Creative and I see that there is a lot of potential to be explored
in this game mechanic!
At first, I thought it was just an animation with no control over the character! Big mistake.
Keep investing in it, it has everything to be an excellent title for the 2600 ?

Edited by alfredtdk

On 6/23/2020 at 8:55 PM, alfredtdk said:

Congratulations on the game! Creative and I see that there is a lot of potential to be explored
in this game mechanic!
At first, I thought it was just an animation with no control over the character! Big mistake.

Keep investing in it, it has everything to be an excellent title for the 2600 ?

Thank you very much!!! Really!

Unfortunately I have problems with my computer. I continued developing it and uploading the source code. The source code is more up to date than the binary. I can still develop it in older machines but I cannot test it at least wholly because I need newer Stella emulators to load a 128k ROM. But hopefully I will fix the problem soon.

I finally could fix my computer. But couldn't upload the source so I upload binary and source altogether here.

In case someone has Windows 8 or 8.1 and the updates enter an infinite loop you must turn off the computer three times and that will do. That is what happened to me.

I finished Level 2, Venice and Brunwald Castle all in one level, like the original Indy Action Game.

PrinceOfIndiana.zip

Edited by gfvh

We'll be checking out Prince of Indiana on tomorrow's (Friday July 3) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

We'll be checking out Prince of Indiana on tomorrow's (Friday July 3) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1914653384_20200703-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.45591c5b68dd0179c586b318123e0b47.jpg

Thank you very much!!! I am really grateful for this!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfvh said:

I think I fixed the problem why it doesn't work on real hardware. But I am not sure. I think the vectors at the end of each bank were wrong. I see in some other sources it was different and I changed them. But I am not sure because I cannot test on real hardware.

PrinceOfIndianaFix.zip 166.86 kB · 5 downloads

Tested on PAL 2600jr with the PlusCart (Loading time is quite a few seconds for 128kb):

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, gfvh said:

Thank you very much!!! Its great to know it works. Well. Kind of. :) There are some programming errors.

The image doubles when the Joystick is moved to the right. I first thought it is a problem with my SB implementation, but it behaves the same on Stella. So I think you have some more Bugs to fix ;-)

Your engine has an unusual kind of "gameplay", but it is very interesting and it's got great potential.

Some suggestions for improvements:

• center the animation horizontaly
  • some kind of indication on each frame which options are available
  • more sound
  • colored animation

45 minutes ago, gfvh said:

Thanks! Its great that cartridge! The one with wifi. Keep up the good work!

thanks is appreciated

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 1

I was fixing that in the meantime since I watched it in your video and the ZeroPage video too! And I must admit, that the increment of speed was a feature I knew nothing about until I watched that video :) I post my last fix. Though I couldn't fix the rolling of the screen when the program switch the bank. All those changes, (I was thinking in adding color too) maybe will happen for the next game. I will let this one to rest a bit :)

PrinceOfIndianaFix2.zip

Edited by gfvh
  • Like 2