IGNORED

Model Y test drive

SpiceWare

My folks have decided to buy a Tesla and have been debating between the Model 3 and the Model Y. They've been leaning towards the 3 due to the lower price; but I knew Tesla's Houston location had a Y available for test drives, so suggested they schedule one before making up their mind. So for Father's Day we went into town, had brunch at Kenny & Ziggy's (an awesome New York Deli), took a test drive of the Y, then had dessert at House of Pies.

Key things we liked about the Y:

• significantly easier for dad to get in & out of
  • side mirrors are larger, so easier to see traffic on the sides
  • power lift for the hatch
  • way more legroom for back seat passengers

Detractions where:

• smaller view in rear view mirror
  • cargo area is exposed  - possibly there's a 3rd party cargo cover that could resolve that

My folks are now leaning towards the Y, but haven't yet made up their mind. They're planning to place their order in about a month, but wouldn't surprise me if it's soon as they've already installed a 14-50 outlet in the garage.

I liked it enough that I can foresee one as my next vehicle.  Not anytime soon, but if they get the range above 400 miles it'd be compelling due to the difference it would make for charging stops during our Wisconsin road trips.

• 3 months later...

My folks ordered a Y back in July, then put it on hold because their financing was taking longer to take care of than expected.  When that was done they called Tesla to release the hold and were give an ETA of late September/early October.

It's now early October and they hadn't received an update.  After a number of attempts they finally got ahold of somebody. They found out their prior contact is no longer with Tesla, and they had neglected to remove the hold.

My folks are a bit disappointed.

Their new ETA is late November because Tesla's switched the factory over to production for overseas.  I suspect that means they're not building any Ys at the moment since they only sell the Y in the US. Y production for overseas markets will occur in China and Germany.

• 3 weeks later...