IGNORED

Legends Flashback 2018 Custom Firmware for SD Card roms and boxart

rrifonas AKA rmr_md had created custom firmware for the Legends Flashback 2018 (50 games model) that allows you to add games with box art that I feel went kind of unnoticed. It was originally posted at the GBATemp forum. Here is the link to the CFW update. This CFW also overclocks the system. Instructions are inside.

https://mega.nz/#!c4FHwKxA!Ja5qn8efbmm5H-KGJFue9lzUyHOOr3SNmnobCJvvKTQ

Something to note! This custom firmware was created off of the most current official firmware update. If you update, it will reverse you NES A and B buttons. In the case of this older Legends Flashback 2018 unit, however, you could just flash back to the older custom firmware and undo that, but you won't be able to add box art with the old CFW.

Once you update you can add games with box art to the main menu just like we have with the Atari FB9 and X. Here is a SEGA SG-1000 pack with art I put together. Big thanks to Franky32 over at GBATemp for helping put it together and testing! Simply put all the files in this archive on the root of your SD Card. Up to 32GB SD Card will work after the update. Should also point out this opens up all the extensions in the SD Card menu just like the old CFW. (sg-1000, sms, gg, smd, scd, nes, snes, fba and mame)

SEGA SG-1000 Flashback Converter v0.2

SGFBCv0.2.rar

Edited by Draxxon
  • Thanks 3

Not sure why it says the official firmware for the various flashback units were updated but the version numbers are still the same. I tried the legends units anyways. Didn't notice a difference. NES buttons are still jacked up.

Edited by Draxxon

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the Legends Ultimate Arcade Art Pack: It contains all the art from the LFB 2018 and 2019 standard. I have 6 of the 10 thumbnails from the deluxe versions extra 10 games (they are actually locked on the standard system) and 48 from the Legends Ultimate Arcade cabinet. Beastball, Eliminator Boat Duel, Hostages & Immortal are the missing thumbnails.

Legends_Ultimate+Flashback_2019_Art_Pack.rar

Edited by Draxxon

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Draxxon

I re-did the process and didn't add your packs to test it. It seems to work but the original 50 games, not all run. I'm thinking I should rename some original games from .zip to .zim or something but I wanted to ask you first on the technical aspects of this.

1.- How to make all the original .zip 50 games actually play (in the "rom" folder)?, I had trouble with ghouls.zip for example. Street Fighter II: The New Challengers did run properly though.

2.- How to make your packs work? The megadrive and SG-1000 packs that you created ran properly in the v2.6 firmware so maybe something in the packs interferes with a v2.8 firmware script.

3.- What's the easiest explanation for the retroplayer.ini and the .sh files functions?

Thank you.

So I'm thinking that if .zim works in the "rom" folder for the v2.8 then I would be able to add MAME games in there with box art?

13 hours ago, EMG said:

@Draxxon

I re-did the process and didn't add your packs to test it. It seems to work but the original 50 games, not all run. I'm thinking I should rename some original games from .zip to .zim or something but I wanted to ask you first on the technical aspects of this.

1.- How to make all the original .zip 50 games actually play (in the "rom" folder)?, I had trouble with ghouls.zip for example. Street Fighter II: The New Challengers did run properly though.

2.- How to make your packs work? The megadrive and SG-1000 packs that you created ran properly in the v2.6 firmware so maybe something in the packs interferes with a v2.8 firmware script.

3.- What's the easiest explanation for the retroplayer.ini and the .sh files functions?

Thank you.

So I'm thinking that if .zim works in the "rom" folder for the v2.8 then I would be able to add MAME games in there with box art?

After messing around I realized that the "allgames.ini" is the "key" of this along with other files. Finally made your Master System pack work on the newest firmware but after installing it, the Street Fighter New Challengers game no longer runs for example.

I even used a game manager tool related to this machine and still didn't manage to make the original games play. So that would be the last thing for me to learn and I'm sure that many people with not a lot of pc knowledge may come up with the same doubts.

If you could explain those details would be wonderful.

I removed the fifty games from the packs. To have them as well, dump the rom partition fresh, combine the 2 all-game ini files into one file. (cut and paste the new ini file text into the old one for example.) make sure you have all the roms in the rom folder. old ones and new ones. don't change the name of any files.

or you could just remove the sd card and boot like normal and play them.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, Draxxon said:

I removed the fifty games from the packs. To have them as well, dump the rom partition fresh, combine the 2 all-game ini files into one file. (cut and paste the new ini file text into the old one for example.) make sure you have all the roms in the rom folder. old ones and new ones. don't change the name of any files.

or you could just remove the sd card and boot like normal and play them.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I managed to make it work with some original games that still run after the flash.

My final doubt is regarding SNES games. I'm trying to have Super Mario World or Dragon Ball games to play, but no luck. I renamed the .zip ROMS to .dat, .fig, .nes and placed them inside the GAME folder with no luck. Should these be added into the ROM folder and allgames.ini as well?

• 3 months later...
On 8/28/2020 at 2:01 AM, EMG said:

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I managed to make it work with some original games that still run after the flash.

My final doubt is regarding SNES games. I'm trying to have Super Mario World or Dragon Ball games to play, but no luck. I renamed the .zip ROMS to .dat, .fig, .nes and placed them inside the GAME folder with no luck. Should these be added into the ROM folder and allgames.ini as well?

Unzip, rename .smc or .sfc to .zip.

Maybe the rom, I had to DL a few different Yoshi islands before it worked

• 3 months later...